• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I bought a Bear Creek 22 upper last year 1500 plus rounds through it of several different ammo types and the only problem was caused by me using the mag as a monopod . 16 ” rear charger
    Anyone else have thoughts on bear creek uppers. Internet seems to think they are fine. Are they a better option than psa. I have to admit I like the look of them better especially for the price.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Anyone else have thoughts on bear creek uppers. Internet seems to think they are fine. Are they a better option than psa. I have to admit I like the look of them better especially for the price.
    I have a couple BCA barrels and a complete 16" upper that I have had zero issues with. I don't personally have a PSA but I have built a couple up for people and I personally think the BCA is a little better quality, but the PSA's that I have built up run fine for their owners. PSA definitely has a much better selection of kits and BCA has a better selection of calibers.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Well, the "polished" FCG is in. It's not awful, but I don't know that I did much good.

I didn't have a stone which I felt comfortable using on the hammer sear and decided to stop before I did something foolish. The trigger faces turned out decent. Could be polished some more, but with the state of the hammer it would probably be a waste.

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the rest of the bits.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Well, the "polished" FCG is in. It's not awful, but I don't know that I did much good.

I didn't have a stone which I felt comfortable using on the hammer sear and decided to stop before I did something foolish. The trigger faces turned out decent. Could be polished some more, but with the state of the hammer it would probably be a waste.

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the rest of the bits.
    I’m not super comfortable or familiar with ar fcgs so I didn’t mess with mine like I would if it was a pistol. I think I’m going to get a drop in eventually so didn’t even try.

Ordered the bear creak upper. Hoping it’s here the next few days so I can take it to the range end of week

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Well the bca upper is supposed to be here today according to ups. Shipped much faster than expected. Have to decide on optic and the extremely basic, low cost build will be complete

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Well the bca upper is supposed to be here today according to ups. Shipped much faster than expected. Have to decide on optic and the extremely basic, low cost build will be complete
    @zachcz

Let me know how the BCA upper works out. Mine still is not shipped. Last check the website was still showing processing for the order.

ETA: got the shipping notice tonight!

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a 20" upper from them. I only have 80rd through it so far not even broken in yet. However, it's been flawless, and accuracy even though it isn't broken in yet has been sub moa.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    18C34C7B-937B-430A-B6FE-74368962CF47.jpeg
    Finished for now besides sights. Upper seems solid. Super fast shipping. I think I’m just going to go irons over a red dot or scope. Anybody have any advice on cheaper than magpul mbus thst seem to hold up ok. This will get shot very little. I’m sure a nice honeymoon period then just sit in safe

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    First outing with the BCA 22lr side charger was pretty abysmal. Trying to stay positive and follow their recommendation to break-in for 200 - 300 rounds.

I finally reached the 250 round point, but with a nearly 50% failure to ignite the primer it was no fun. From what I could tell the scope should work out (Bushnell 3-9). Accuracy is hard to tell with the ignition frustration. Heavier than I anticipated, it's nearly a bull barrel.

Came home and did a deep clean including firing pin and channel. The firing pin leaves me suspicious, I've never seen a rimfire with a round firing pin. Strikes were VERY light, I suspect due to the contact area of the firing pin face. The Federal was far worse than the Aguila.

PXL_20230313_000759627.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    First outing with the BCA 22lr side charger was pretty abysmal. Trying to stay positive and follow their recommendation to break-in for 200 - 300 rounds.

I finally reached the 250 round point, but with a nearly 50% failure to ignite the primer it was no fun. From what I could tell the scope should work out (Bushnell 3-9). Accuracy is hard to tell with the ignition frustration. Heavier than I anticipated, it's nearly a bull barrel.

Came home and did a deep clean including firing pin and channel. The firing pin leaves me suspicious, I've never seen a rimfire with a round firing pin. Strikes were VERY light, I suspect due to the contact area of the firing pin face. The Federal was far worse than the Aguila.

View attachment 262177
    Uh, yeah, that's not right!
    Every last rimfire firing pin I've ever seen is flat faced.
    If the firing pin is rounded' I would be contacting BCA a.s.a.p.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

View attachment 262177
    Uh, yeah, that's not right!
    Every last rimfire firing pin I've ever seen is flat faced.
    If the firing pin is rounded' I would be contacting BCA a.s.a.p.
    Yea, that is very odd. A bigger round pin takes up more surface area which spreads the hit, lightening the strike. Contact the company and see if the have another pin that is normal. I would guess the fire pin isn't the same from 1 end to the other? If the company is sending you another pin, grind the head of the old 1 to the flat spade like all other are and see if that works.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yea, that is very odd. A bigger round pin takes up more surface area which spreads the hit, lightening the strike. Contact the company and see if the have another pin that is normal. I would guess the fire pin isn't the same from 1 end to the other? If the company is sending you another pin, grind the head of the old 1 to the flat spade like all other are and see if that works.
    I have a query in at BCA. Hopefully they will be responsive.

I have already taken a file to the tip and reduced the area a bit. I probably won't go test fire until I have an response from BCA.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have a query in at BCA. Hopefully they will be responsive.

I have already taken a file to the tip and reduced the area a bit. I probably won't go test fire until I have an response from BCA.
    I'd probably test anyways. Either it works or it doesn't because the pin could need to be just a hair longer..too short a strike. Did they have pics of replacement fire pins with the "normal" face contour?

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    It’s not hitting the rim of the rimfire cartridge. Maybe there is a misalignment somewhere. I’m not familiar with AR 22’s so it’s a shot in the dark.

Top Bottom