• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm still studying and my goal is to to take two tests in the same sitting. Work is crazy still, but camera monkey set me up with a pretty good study guide from the kindle app. I can regurgitate info fed on a continual basis but to truly understand it is another level for me. The fear of failure has never left me. Thanks top.
    Looks like we were typing at the same time. LOL

You can pass both in one sitting. Protip: Memorize the General vacuum tube answers. I think there are only 8 of them. They make NO sense to even this computer network engineer that does household electrical work too.

When I sat for my General the first time I swear I got half the vac questions on each exam. I took 3 versions of the test and missed ALL the vac questions and just enough to fail by 1 or 2 points. Hamstudy flash cards for some reason didnt even present any tube questions so they came from left field.

After memorizing those questions I passed the General easily.

EDIT: And I'm waiting for him to release his new book on the Extra exam so I can start studying. FCC dropped a new question pool last month, and they will go into effect in July. I'm busy with work like you, and dont want the pressure of only having 6 months to pass the test. Both Tech and General qestions dont rotate for another year or two as I recall, so dont panic. LOL

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Looks like we were typing at the same time. LOL

You can pass both in one sitting. Protip: Memorize the General vacuum tube answers. I think there are only 8 of them. They make NO sense to even this computer network engineer that does household electrical work too.

When I sat for my General the first time I swear I got half the vac questions on each exam. I took 3 versions of the test and missed ALL the vac questions and just enough to fail by 1 or 2 points. Hamstudy flash cards for some reason didnt even present any tube questions so they came from left field.

After memorizing those questions I passed the General easily.

EDIT: And I'm waiting for him to release his new book on the Extra exam so I can start studying. FCC dropped a new question pool last month, and they will go into effect in July. I'm busy with work like you, and dont want the pressure of only having 6 months to pass the test. Both Tech and General qestions dont rotate for another year or two as I recall, so dont panic. LOL
    Man, thanks for the boost of confidence but I'm clearly not at your level. Hell, I couldn't even tell you how to save a file. I can build a house from the ground up and even wire it but I feel intimidated by failing to take a test on how to use a radio. I'll get there and thanks again for the help.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No shame in memorizing. Passing the test is only the first step. And if you fail one test, they'll usually let you take at least 2 more tries because they WANT you to succeed. (different questions on each version of the test) Pass the test however you need to without actually cheating.

Because step 2 is actually putting the license to use and actually LEARNING in a real world environment. You will walk out of the sitting thinking "Ok, now what?" But it will start to make sense once you start joining nets with a cheap HT, and then getting your feet wet.
    Dont worry, you usually wont encounter the a-holes until you get your general and start talking on HF.

You got this.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree with CameraMonkey. Pass the test even if it is just memorization then start your journey in the hobby. There are soooo many things on the test, especially General and Extra that aren't relevant to usual radio operating. They hobby is wide and you will focus on the segment that interests you. And, I have come to find that this is a hobby and skill learned from others and by doing, not books. I see that you are in Peru. I just drove through there last week and a repeater there has quite a wide coverage so as a Tech you can cover a lot of ground using it to get started. Get at it!

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    OK, thats kinda cool.

I tried this last night with a couple friends and it worked very well. We used it on 2mSSB at 1.5w simplex covering about 15mi between us. We were playing around to see how low we could push it. It actually required a little more power than phone on SSB which was surprising to me but there may be other factors that come into play as well. I can see some use if using to copy and paste information, which you can do, or detailed instructions about something. Otherwise, just talk. Thanks for the information.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I tried this last night with a couple friends and it worked very well. We used it on 2mSSB at 1.5w simplex covering about 15mi between us. We were playing around to see how low we could push it. It actually required a little more power than phone on SSB which was surprising to me but there may be other factors that come into play as well. I can see some use if using to copy and paste information, which you can do, or detailed instructions about something. Otherwise, just talk. Thanks for the information.
    Careful. While debating NCC regulation, I stumbled across something I didn’t realize.

At least on GMRS data is not allowed For more than I think one seconds I presume for the GPS reporting that some radios have. And only in Simplex mode.

I’m not sure about the ham bands.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I’m gonna jump in here and say y’all have awakened a sleeping interest I have had for years. I am interested in learning more and asking where I might start that search. I am sure there are favorites and although I can google as well as the next guy, it’s always nice too hear from trusted users.

I know nada! What are your recommendations?

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Careful. While debating NCC regulation, I stumbled across something I didn’t realize.

At least on GMRS data is not allowed For more than I think one seconds I presume for the GPS reporting that some radios have. And only in Simplex mode.

I’m not sure about the ham bands.
    Sorry but this confuses me. I am not familiar with the rules for data and digital modes on GMRS channels but certainly ok on amateur bands within the boundaries of one's license. Multiple protocols are available for data transmission, ft8, packet, aprs, psk31.... streaming data continuously. Perhaps I misunderstood. At any rate, Rattlegram was fun to try.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry but this confuses me. I am not familiar with the rules for data and digital modes on GMRS channels but certainly ok on amateur bands within the boundaries of one's license. Multiple protocols are available for data transmission, ft8, packet, aprs, psk31.... streaming data continuously. Perhaps I misunderstood. At any rate, Rattlegram was fun to try.
    Cool. I stumbled onto it looking for another rule, and was caught off guard. Short rattle messages appear to easily fall into that timeframe, but if somebody wanted to send a paragraph, it would blow past that. And I wonder if the FCC would start the clock at the PTT, or when the data actually started. I suspect the moment you pushed the PTT as the point of the transmission is data. So with that default 1 second dead air preamble, we're already over the limit.

I doubt the FCC would actually go after anyone but its out there.

I may or may not have accidentally broken that rule one time playing with SSTV just to watch it work. Oops.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’m gonna jump in here and say y’all have awakened a sleeping interest I have had for years. I am interested in learning more and asking where I might start that search. I am sure there are favorites and although I can google as well as the next guy, it’s always nice too hear from trusted users.

I want to make sure somebody got back to you and fuel your interest. A recommendation depends on your goals but if you are just wanting to know about amateur radio through videos I would recommend the following channels: Ham Radio Crash Course, Ham Radio 2.0, and David Casler's web page and channel. There are many others but those are what I have learned from the most along with HamStudy.org for focused test study flash cards and practice tests. If you go through the flash cards for an hour each day for a week for each level of license, I think most could pass Tech and General. Extra will take longer depending on you background. Most of the learning comes after you get your license and get on the air. I am not sure of your location but I am always happy to share my still limited radio knowledge and at least help you figure out where you want to go with amateur radio.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Inhamoperators.com has all the info you need to get started.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I want to make sure somebody got back to you and fuel your interest. A recommendation depends on your goals but if you are just wanting to know about amateur radio through videos I would recommend the following channels: Ham Radio Crash Course, Ham Radio 2.0, and David Casler's web page and channel. There are many others but those are what I have learned from the most along with HamStudy.org for focused test study flash cards and practice tests. If you go through the flash cards for an hour each day for a week for each level of license, I think most could pass Tech and General. Extra will take longer depending on you background. Most of the learning comes after you get your license and get on the air. I am not sure of your location but I am always happy to share my still limited radio knowledge and at least help you figure out where you want to go with amateur radio.
    This.

The tech exam is mostly rules and very little wireless theory. That will get you on handheld radios for nearby comms and repeater use to extend your range. You also get privileges on a very small slice of the 10 meter band for distance comms. (I’ve talked as far as Spain and Santiago Chile. )

The general exam is more tech based with some math, but not crazy hard. That gets you up to 150 watts on most of the rest of the bands. That’s where the fun is.

And there are all kinds of ways to use the radios. Not just talking.

And YouTube is an amazing resource. Don’t know how to do something? There are probably 10 videos to explain it.

And if you are the tinkering type, lots of cool projects to do.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I am a member of the Huntington Amateur Radio Club where we actively seek out and welcome new comers to the hobby. Our meetings are held the 4th Monday at 6:30 pm at the Cafe of Hope in Huntington and are open to the public.
    We will do our best to answer your questions in an open, honest, and friendly manner.
    We were all newbies at one time.

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    I am starting to study to take the test as well test date is April 11th so I got 2 months to study which should be plenty. I am planning on doing the technicians and general at the same time. I have already come across Ham Radio Crash Course on YouTube, with that and hamstudy.org, I should be able to figure it out.

It's kind of interesting on how simple and yet how complicated ham radio is at the same time haha.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I took and passed the technician exam on the 10th. Still waiting. It's my understanding that ARRL VECs mail all the paperwork into ARRL HQ who then batch file it all. Go figure that system has been down since the 12th.

I'll have a call eventually I suppose :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I took and passed the technician exam on the 10th. Still waiting. It's my understanding that ARRL VECs mail all the paperwork into ARRL HQ who then batch file it all. Go figure that system has been down since the 12th.

I'll have a call eventually I suppose :):
    log into your FCC FRN account. Keep your eye on it. Your call sign will appear there first. As soon as you see that call sign you are clear to push that button. You dont have to wait the extra day or two for them to actually email the printable license.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Still waiting for the CORES email to pay the fee
    Now granted I called when a system wasnt down, but they were surprisingly friendly and competent. I was absolutely shocked I was dealing with a gov agency. This young lady was articulate and really knew her stuff. I had to transfer a business class license to me for work since the original applicant left the company. She made it very painless to jump through the hoops.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I read somewhere (might have been the ARRL website) to wait until it's been 15 days before calling.

That said. I'm used to government agencies jacking around, I have several NFA items.

Top Bottom