• ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    On another note...

Would anyone here be interested in a weekly INGO net? I'd love to see one but my location is kind of a limiting factor. It wouldn't do a lot of good for me to try to start it. I'm 2 miles from Ohio & 20 miles north of I-70, that would leave out quite a bit of the state. Something a bit more central where someone who could work directly with a club would work better. With a mobile radio in the house and a 30' vhf/uhf antenna I can talk to Indy easily. A net run on a central repeater would be able to cover a decent section.

Any thoughts?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I got DXCC today according to LoTW. Got my general just a little over 10 months ago. Mostly FT8 w/ some SSB also. Not bad for working barefoot w/ a windom only about 25ft up during a sun spot min.

Going to test for extra at the FW hamfest.

I just ordered an upgrade from my Baofeng's. A new Yaseu FT-70DR. Maybe I'll be on the air a bit more...

Neat. I'm planning to get one of those at the FW hamfest.

Would anyone here be interested in a weekly INGO net?
    Any thoughts?

That could be fun. Something like DMR or fusion might work best to cover the whole state. Cost for a md-380 or ft-70 wouldn't be too preventative. or different bands/modes on different nights.

-rvb

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I could use a weekly DMR test just to force me to learn my radio better. Been distracted making RPI, battery, sound card all in one, in a 3d printed enclosure for my 817. Have not used my DMR radio much.
    43143856_10217521135443254_3321153156066312192_n.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy and find out more about CB radios around Lafayette?

What exactly are you trying to find out more of? It's 'similar' tech as ham radio so we may be able to help.

As far as buying, idk, perhaps try Amazon or Craigslist.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    The 146.700 in Indy is up about 600 feet on the WTHR tower and has wide coverage. Beyond that, I do know that there is a linked repeater system in the state that might be better to use so that those farther from Indy could participate as well. I do know it has a decent amount of repeaters to the North, I am just unsure how much of the South would be covered. Then there is always DMR, Fusion, or D-Star but ops with the wrong equipment might not be able to participate.

On another note...
    Would anyone here be interested in a weekly INGO net? I'd love to see one but my location is kind of a limiting factor. It wouldn't do a lot of good for me to try to start it. I'm 2 miles from Ohio & 20 miles north of I-70, that would leave out quite a bit of the state. Something a bit more central where someone who could work directly with a club would work better. With a mobile radio in the house and a 30' vhf/uhf antenna I can talk to Indy easily. A net run on a central repeater would be able to cover a decent section.

Any thoughts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Interesting.

Got a weird call today to confirm my order ship address from Summit Racing. LOLWUT? I drive a Kia and the wife drives a T&C. Is she smoking crack? :scratch: I was confused for a moment after she identified herself then realized something; the "directions" link was to Summit when I was browsing DXEngineering.com. When I mentioned DX she corrected herself and said that Summit's shipping dept confirms DX's shipments. OK, now it makes sense... Yes, the ship to is correct, fire for effect!

So either they share the same parent company, or sub out shipping to summit. Just FYI.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Interesting.

Got a weird call today to confirm my order ship address from Summit Racing. LOLWUT? I drive a Kia and the wife drives a T&C. Is she smoking crack? :scratch: I was confused for a moment after she identified herself then realized something; the "directions" link was to Summit when I was browsing DXEngineering.com. When I mentioned DX she corrected herself and said that Summit's shipping dept confirms DX's shipments. OK, now it makes sense... Yes, the ship to is correct, fire for effect!

So either they share the same parent company, or sub out shipping to summit. Just FYI.

So, what did you buy?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, what did you buy?

Nothing too awesome. Just a SWR, dummy load, jumpers, and a few other odds and ends that I needed to go with my new rig. I worked out a deal with a buddy at work to trade out some work for a Yaesu FTDX1200 and power supply.

Related to this, be VERY careful on places like ebay. I was finding very little price difference between new and used. Like the 1200 for instance. After rebates and free shipping, the cost spread was only about $50! At first they seemed like a decent deal, but digging deeper at places like DX, it wasnt as good as it appeared.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Nothing too awesome. Just a SWR, dummy load, jumpers, and a few other odds and ends that I needed to go with my new rig. I worked out a deal with a buddy at work to trade out some work for a Yaesu FTDX1200 and power supply.

Related to this, be VERY careful on places like ebay. I was finding very little price difference between new and used. Like the 1200 for instance. After rebates and free shipping, the cost spread was only about $50! At first they seemed like a decent deal, but digging deeper at places like DX, it wasnt as good as it appeared.

I wouldn't buy a radio off eBay. Too many scammers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, it wasnt pretty, (2 tries and barely passed) but I passed my general exam today. Ugh. I am NOT a good test taker. Been studying my butt off and I felt like I had a grasp, but apparently not as good as I thought, because a few of the questions I dont even recall seeing, even though I've been through the pool several times over. And looking at the answers, none of them jogged my memory. A pass is a pass I guess. And now that I've studied the dangers of RF, the licenses seem less of a paperwork nuisance. You really dont want just anybody out there with potentially nearly as much energy coming out the back of the rig as what is bouncing around in a microwave heating up stuff.

Now a technical question. Need an entry level antenna for some HF but I'm limited on space. Was looking at something like this. Seems relatively compact and low profile and easy to hang on a simple pole. (and inexpensive... I don't have $500 to burn) Opinions?

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Congrats!

as for using a pair of mobile whips, I think you’ll find the performance lacking. And you’d want to change whips for each band.
    Could you find a way to hang a dipole? I’ve had very good luck with my OCFD, a Carolina windom 40 that I got second hand for $50. Works quite well on 40 through 10m with some help from my radio's tuner. Mine's at the minimum recommended height of just 25'. Trees hold the ends and a fiberglass telescoping flagpole holds the middle.
    Carolina Windom 40
    If you can find a way to fit something like that, or even a homemade dipole or fan dipole, I think you’ll be happier with the results.

if you go the route of the setup you linked, I’d be interested to hear results. Might make an ok temp setup, for camping, etc...

-rvb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Congrats!

as for using a pair of mobile whips, I think you’ll find the performance lacking. And you’d want to change whips for each band.
    Could you find a way to hang a dipole? I’ve had very good luck with my OCFD, a Carolina windom 40 that I got second hand for $50. Works quite well on 40 through 10m with some help from my radio's tuner. Mine's at the minimum recommended height of just 25'. Trees hold the ends and a fiberglass telescoping flagpole holds the middle.
    Carolina Windom 40
    If you can find a way to fit something like that, or even a homemade dipole or fan dipole, I think you’ll be happier with the results.

if you go the route of the setup you linked, I’d be interested to hear results. Might make an ok temp setup, for camping, etc...

-rvb

unfortunately I dont have 66' of straight line I can use at this time. I might be able to rig something between a couple trees in the back yard, but convincing the wife could be an issue. (she wasnt thrilled with my Diamond 50 I put up.)Hoping to find something I can stash in my attic, but I only have 40 feet or so to play with.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    unfortunately I dont have 66' of straight line I can use at this time. I might be able to rig something between a couple trees in the back yard, but convincing the wife could be an issue. (she wasnt thrilled with my Diamond 50 I put up.)Hoping to find something I can stash in my attic, but I only have 40 feet or so to play with.

My wife wasn’t happy about it either... ;)
    I said "you knew I was a nerd when you married me." Haha

mine kind of straddles the house, the countepoise end connected to a tree in the front yard, the pole for the ballun on the back porch, and the rest to a tree in the back. The 66' doesn’t have to be perfectly straight, a little bend won’t hurt, and you can shorten it by sloping or with an inverted-v setup. Stick the diamond in the attic, it’s not the one you’re trying to go around the world with. Use that as a bargaining chip with the wife ;) My 2m/440 antenna is in the attic. Plenty good enough to work regional Repeaters. The dipole wires can barely be seen from the front of the house...

worked about 140 countries this year (110 confirmed). (About 130 on digital, 45 on SSB, and I don’t do much SSB)

2c

-rvb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The attic isnt tall enough for my Diamond.

I'm going to try a Frequency Devices 20m Dipole to start. I can hide that one for the winter in my attic.

And it isnt as easy with kids (9 and 12) who like to play in the back yard. makes it a little more difficult to hang for fear of getting hit by balls and the like.

I may try an inverted V in the spring. I can possibly put the center on a pole attached to my raised deck, and one end to my tree, and the other to a neighbor's tree. (She wont care) On that note, would one side being a couple degrees off line matter? (eg one leg exactly on a 0* heading and the other leg on a 185* heading?) I'm not sure I can run it in a straight line due to the potential of one side touching the corner of the house. Its VERY close... To the point I'd probably string up some masonry twine as a mock up to try it.

Top Bottom