• ...and so much more!
  • M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    tHALOlV.jpg

Above is the repeater. I've heard repeaters farther than that one clear as a bell, but haven't tried yet to see if they can hear me. I routinely talk to my cousin at 10 miles on simplex with my smaller 15" antenna.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have the N9TAX on order.

Well I messed up royally for me. First time in over 20 years I said I would be somewhere and didn't make it. I got registered for the weather spotter training and didn't set an alarm. I was outside working on the car and went long off in another world. I hope I didn't keep someone else from training. I was really looking forward to it too. I am mad at myself.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Saw this on facebook tonight...

Online - ARRL Virginia Section Convention 2021
    The largest regional amateur radio event this year is this weekend on Saturday starting at 9:00 AM Eastern Time, 24 April on Zoom. Hosted by the award-winning Vienna Wireless Society (viennawireless.net).
    Over a dozen exciting and qualified speakers create entertaining, educational, and relevant content.
    Schedule and zoom links are here: http://bit.ly/VaSecConvSchedule.

Attend any session in three exciting tacks:
    1) Boot Camp for new and returning hams -- learn the basics from experts in the field and upgrade your skills and knowledge base.
    2) Hot Topics -- common challenges and solutions for youth participation, inclusion, membership growth, with dynamic round tables featuring multi-club participation
    3) ARES/AUXCOMM -- all about emergency communications from the local to the federal level. Learn what is happening and how to support your community as an amateur radio operator.

This will be the only event of its type this year. Don't miss it. Learn more at https://viennawireless.net/wp/events/winterfest/.

To win fabulous new ICOM radios or books or other exciting rewards please purchase charitable raffle tickets here https://viennawireless.net/wp/vws-raffle/

Support your hobby and community. Join the conference, learn some "good stuff", participate in the Q&A.
    ============================================
    Online - MicroHAMS Digital Conference
    HAMFEST/CONVENTION
    04/24/2021
    Start Date: 04/24/2021
    End Date: 04/24/2021
    Virtual
    Redmond, WA 98052
    Sponsor: MicroHAMS ARC
    Type: ARRL Convention
    Talk-In: N/A
    Public Contact: Grant Hopper, KB7WSD
    P.O. Box 3318 Everett, WA 98213
    Phone: 425-238-1433
    Email: kb7wsd@gmail.com

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Indiana State QSO Party is this weekend - CW and Phone only, HF only, NO UHF/VHF, No Repeater contacts

See the link above for all the rules and details

Contest starts at 1500 UTC (11:00AM EDT) Saturday and ends at 0300 UTC (11:00PM EDT) Sunday the first full weekend of May. (Saturday 11am to 11pm EDT or 10am to 10pm CDT.) For 2021, this is May 1-2. All stations may operate the full 12-hour period.

HF will be busy, in addition to the Indiana QSO Party, the New England QSO Party, 7th Call Area QSO Party, and Delaware QSO Party will also be running. Fortunately they all have the same logging requirements, so you can turn the same log in to all four if you have the notion to.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I finally got around to setting up an HF radio and antenna two weeks ago today in a temporary situation (radio on dining room table and center-fed dipole in a tree). I've already made 125 QSO's with 28 states and 30 countries. I'll probably never go back to VHF/UHF after this. LOL!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I finally got around to setting up an HF radio and antenna two weeks ago today in a temporary situation (radio on dining room table and center-fed dipole in a tree). I've already made 125 QSO's with 28 states and 30 countries. I'll probably never go back to VHF/UHF after this. LOL!
    That is great! What mode? The King of Spain Contest was yesterday and this morning...I worked a bunch of DX during the contest.

You can monitor the DX Packet cluster by telnet to dxspots.com - shows you what DX is on the air and where.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Overheard tonight on the Marion county weather net...

We activated, but only on standby because there wasnt anything nasty going on at the moment. We never went live. They took some reports, but no check ins because it didnt go hot.

So toward the end the operator had to poll those that gave reports again because he failed to record whether they were base or mobile during the reporting. No biggie.

As he was doing so, I hear this:
    Cranky Old guy: Ive been trying to check in for the last hour. (had my radio on, but dont think I heard him) In hindsight, he may have called out a couple times, but since there were no check ins (and the repeater was still available for traffic) I think we all misunderstood his calls. Nobody wanted to take any airtime to rag chew so nobody responded to him.
    Operator:We were only on standby and were not taking check ins.
    Cranky Old guy: well, since it was slow, it was a perfect time to take check ins.
    rando HAM: *LOUD sigh* ( :): I think he spoke for us ALL)

The operator handled it well and respectfully reminded him that in standby, you dont do check ins.

He handled it better than I would.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im traveling on business and was watching a show about the shadowwalker ranch? Anyway its a supernatural show.

They start freaking out about their wifi network being hacked. They show a SDR specrum scan showing the noise floor rising like crazy. "its some kind of hack." LOLWUT?

Then they freak out about crazy RF inbound on the 6M band. SO they start rotating the antenna and figure out its coming from a nearby hillside. But wait... there's more! THIS is the specialized directional antenna they are using...

61tS-ajw%2BhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(or one like it)

They are using an OTA antenna to gauge ham band RF, and supposedly being overwhelmed with RF energy to the point several of the team have trouble concentrating and forming sentences, and one team member starts having headaches so he dramatically leaves the property to get away from it.

I turned the channel as soon as I saw that. what overdramatic, technical BS .

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Im traveling on business and was watching a show about the shadowwalker ranch? Anyway its a supernatural show.

They start freaking out about their wifi network being hacked. They show a SDR specrum scan showing the noise floor rising like crazy. "its some kind of hack." LOLWUT?

Then they freak out about crazy RF inbound on the 6M band. SO they start rotating the antenna and figure out its coming from a nearby hillside. But wait... there's more! THIS is the specialized directional antenna they are using...

61tS-ajw%2BhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(or one like it)

They are using an OTA antenna to gauge ham band RF, and supposedly being overwhelmed with RF energy to the point several of the team have trouble concentrating and forming sentences, and one team member starts having headaches so he dramatically leaves the property to get away from it.

I turned the channel as soon as I saw that. what overdramatic, technical BS .
    Ahh yes, that vhf-hi 24 inch folded dipole without reflector or director is clearly resonant AND directional on 52MHz... :rofl: (I did just put up one of those goofy things for my father in law, it worked ok 30 miles south of Indy.) That BS reminds me of a "ghost tour" my xyl booked us on years ago. Half the group had emf detectors to "communicate with the dead" Well I just happened to have my HT in pocket, boy did I have some fun pranking that group! I was almost in tears, I couldn't believe they never caught on:tantrum:

Top Bottom