• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I passed Technician and General today. It seemed weird testing on paper as compared to my computer screen. Waiting for my call sign now. My bucket list check mark is getting closer. I want to talk to the ISS.
    I passed tech and missed general by 3 questions. It was a hail Mary, but I took a shot out of efficiency of already being there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I passed tech and missed general by 3 questions. It was a hail Mary, but I took a shot out of efficiency of already being there.
    I failed general on 3 tries my first sitting. (dedicated).

My flash card software didnt even touch on vac tubes. Yet I got almost all the vac questions on the 3 exams I was given. I was pissed. Not only for having so many questions on outdated tech, but the fact that my software didnt even touch them (random selection) .

Scratch that, I now recall the cards had ONE question about plate tuning control. And of course that one wasnt on any of the 3 tests.

So getting all those wrong made it so that I had to score a perfect otherwise.

I sat for a second exam after studying ALL the vac questions and passed the first time. And it was a blessing in disguise. I ended up meeting up with an old coworker from my early 20s that I lost touch with. He was a VE and recognized my name. So we got to catch up a bit after losing touch for like 20 years.

Good luck next time.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I don't have any HF plans in the short term so I'm just going to play in the 2M/440 bands and explore the hobby and see how it fits in my life. If I get intrigued and want to start looking into HF I'll get back in and get that General Exam knocked out.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I passed Technician and General today. It seemed weird testing on paper as compared to my computer screen. Waiting for my call sign now. My bucket list check mark is getting closer. I want to talk to the ISS.
    I made contact with the ISS back in July 2010 When Colonel Wheelock was commander. He operated almost every pass. I was using a Kenwood handheld and was absolutely blown away when he heard me. I got to meet him at the Dayton Hamvention and he signed my QSL card! To bad we haven't had much interest from recent crew members ( at least not that I've heard of) I haven't been operating the sats any for the last few years.

Attachments

• NA1SS_1A.jpg
      NA1SS_1A.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 9
    • NA1SS_1B.jpg
      NA1SS_1B.jpg
      702.9 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I don't have any HF plans in the short term so I'm just going to play in the 2M/440 bands and explore the hobby and see how it fits in my life. If I get intrigued and want to start looking into HF I'll get back in and get that General Exam knocked out.
    Congratulations on passing Technician. Keep studying for General while the material is still fresh in memory.

I have a nice base radio and power supply, but have been waiting on nice weather to string up a dipole. In the meantime, I have 80+ repeaters within a 50-mile radius stored in my handheld radio and have been listening to a little traffic on them, as well as participating in a couple of local net check-ins.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    workin on it boss
    There are two nets every week to try your hand.

Mondays: CERT net.
    MONDAY NIGHT CERT Weekly Net Check-in is tonight (mondays) at 7:15 pm on K9LPW 146.760 repeater with a pl tone of 151.4, for passing formal or informal traffic, testing our equipment, practicing our operating skills, and learning how to properly check into a net. Exchange news and information while also practicing social distancing. (its for CERT members, but Im sure they wouldnt mind you joining. Its very informal.)

Wednesdays ARES net.
    The Marion County ARES Net meets every Wednesday @ 7:30 PM on the 146.700MHz repeater, no tone.
    If you dont hear it there, try 147.210. They moved there temporarily, but I dont know if they have moved back to .700 yet. (I havent joined either net in months)

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have a little "beenfoul" radio. I have programmed it to try and listen to repeaters and was talking to Mr. Rinehart on land line. He suggested a couple of radios for me to consider. I looked into them a little and unfortunately they are price prohibitive for me this year with honey doo expenses. He mentioned 52 simplex while running through a lot of good suggestions. I took notes as fast as I could. I had no clue what 52 simplex was. It appears to be what I want to get involved with. I looked at quad band and dual band mobile receivers and there it was. A YAESU FT2980R. It only does 2 meter and can run out to 80 watts. I want to start simple and get tuned into one band. I ordered one and a car antenna. Specs on the antenna are:
    Gain: 3.4 dB, 5/8 wave.
    Power: 100 watts.
    15 foot coax, PL-259 connector installed.
    Magnetic mount holds to 75 mph.
    2-meter black chrome.

Looks like I'll be CQ QRW 146.520. I'll need to do some listening for clues on talking right. I am looking at making a J pole antenna for a little project. Found this great explanation of how Js work: Hope to be checking in in the next couple of weeks. What power level is suggested for a first attempt at checking in.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a little "beenfoul" radio. I have programmed it to try and listen to repeaters and was talking to Mr. Rinehart on land line. He suggested a couple of radios for me to consider. I looked into them a little and unfortunately they are price prohibitive for me this year with honey doo expenses. He mentioned 52 simplex while running through a lot of good suggestions. I took notes as fast as I could. I had no clue what 52 simplex was. It appears to be what I want to get involved with. I looked at quad band and dual band mobile receivers and there it was. A YAESU FT2980R. It only does 2 meter and can run out to 80 watts. I want to start simple and get tuned into one band. I ordered one and a car antenna. Specs on the antenna are:
    15 foot coax, PL-259 connector installed.
    Magnetic mount holds to 75 mph.
    2-meter black chrome.

Looks like I'll be CQ QRW 146.520. I'll need to do some listening for clues on talking right. I am looking at making a J pole antenna for a little project. Found this great explanation of how Js work: Hope to be checking in in the next couple of weeks. What power level is suggested for a first attempt at checking in.

He was prob talking about running simplex on 146.52

Think of it as being similar to channel 19 on cb band. 146.52 is the national calling frequency on 2m

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    He was prob talking about running simplex on 146.52

Think of it as being similar to channel 19 on cb band. 146.52 is the national calling frequency on 2m
    I've searched it quite a bit online. Sounds like a fun channel to monitor on trips. Also sounds like contacts will be dependent on local attitudes. The 2 meter will let me get my feet into the pool. I like the idea of playing on simplex while getting used to repeaters and learning the ropes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've searched it quite a bit online. Sounds like a fun channel to monitor on trips. Also sounds like contacts will be dependent on local attitudes. The 2 meter will let me get my feet into the pool. I like the idea of playing on simplex while getting used to repeaters and learning the ropes.
    Tune in and listen to one of the nets I listed upthread. listening to a couple will give you a feel for how its done. I just sat in and listened to a couple before I joined the fray. The CERT net is especially laid back. They have little old ladies on that net checking in. LOL One of them that I have met is sweet as can be, but I envision her holding her HT up to her face with two hands.

And now that you have "a voice" take some time to become a trained weather spotter. This year the training sessions are extra easy because they are all virtual.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Tune in and listen to one of the nets I listed upthread. listening to a couple will give you a feel for how its done. I just sat in and listened to a couple before I joined the fray. The CERT net is especially laid back. They have little old ladies on that net checking in. LOL One of them that I have met is sweet as can be, but I envision her holding her HT up to her face with two hands.

And now that you have "a voice" take some time to become a trained weather spotter. This year the training sessions are extra easy because they are all virtual.

Def do the class. And consider joining your local ares net. It's one of the reasons we have hams.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    146.520 Mhz is not a channel. It's a frequency. We only have channels in amateur radio on 60m. Your radio and antenna is a great combo....do some listening and you'll see how it is done. Welcome to the bands!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    15 foot coax, PL-259 connector What power level is suggested for a first attempt at checking in.

What power level is suggested for a first attempt at checking in.
    I have a 5-watt Yaesu handheld with which I can consistently hit a repeater 47.5 miles from my home.

Top Bottom