• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Anybody go to the Indy Hamfest this past saturday? I was going but rain scared me off.
    I was there with a buddy. Decent ham fest. Made us miss dayton. I managed to "win" a free antenna. They said the first person to the prize boot wins it. I was pretty close so I made it there with 0 competition.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Can anyone recommend an antenna for the home. I do not want anything huge due to the HOA, something I can mount on the side of the house. Would like to find something plug and play as I hear some need tuning.

I have a old Kenwood TS 820 I believe.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Can anyone recommend an antenna for the home. I do not want anything huge due to the HOA, something I can mount on the side of the house. Would like to find something plug and play as I hear some need tuning.

I have a homegrown J-pole inside my attic. Works great. I’m on west side of Indy and can reach all the Indy repeaters easily. I don’t have the plans anymore but it’s made of 3/8” aluminum rod and some 1”x1/8” aluminum angle. It’s about 6’ tall if I recall correctly.

Matt

Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to your radio and was thinking UHF/VHF. I don’t have my HF antenna up yet. It’s a 10-80m EFHW. Waiting for enough leaves to fall to hang it in a tree. Hopefully my HOA won’t notice it!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, maybe dipole wire antenna? Mine wasn’t very noticeable from the front. It was on a pole behind the house so you couldn’t see it from the street but you could see Each wire that went into trees on either side of the house. But it wasn’t attention grabbing.

Though a board member actively looking for violations would probably notice.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    End fed is probably your best choice. Dipole you need to have a front and back and depending on your lot, it's probably easier to just have a balun on the outside of your house and 50-70' of wire off into the wild. I have 85' of this flexible antenna wire and it's very difficult to see even in bare trees. They do make thinner wire but it could break. I have a ts-530 and 830 so you'll want a balun that can handle the 200w you're throwing down. I have LDG baluns for my sub 100w radios, for base I use baluns from Balun Designs.

If you're looking for a kit, the 66 foot kit from ARRL works fine but you do need to solder.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    To all the Technician class operators...the solar conditions are quickly improving. Upgrade now so you can enjoy the current solar cycle. Do not delay. You will have a blast on HF.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    To all the Technician class operators...the solar conditions are quickly improving. Upgrade now so you can enjoy the current solar cycle. Do not delay. You will have a blast on HF.
    I gotta get that wire up! I’ve got an EFHW “kit” I need to finish the unun and figure out how to string the wire. Leaves are off the tree so it needs to be soon before it gets too cold!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I gotta get that wire up! I’ve got an EFHW “kit” I need to finish the unun and figure out how to string the wire. Leaves are off the tree so it needs to be soon before it gets too cold!
    It is a known fact the the worse the weather the better an antenna installation goes. The more wind, rain, ice and snow blowing while you install the antenna the better.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    It is a known fact the the worse the weather the better an antenna installation goes. The more wind, rain, ice and snow blowing while you install the antenna the better.
    100% accurate. I have a 160m loop that is out of tune. Now's the perfect time to mess with it. Could I have done it in the summer? Probably, but I'm not sure it's allowed when the weather is nice and risk of injury is low.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    100% accurate. I have a 160m loop that is out of tune. Now's the perfect time to mess with it. Could I have done it in the summer? Probably, but I'm not sure it's allowed when the weather is nice and risk of injury is low.
    I guess I’ll wait a little longer then. Maybe wait for a good ice storm in the middle of the night to put it up.

Matt

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

I have a diamond X30 hose clamped to a soil stack on my roof. Been there 10 yrs. Solid. In the Fort also if you want to test.

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    I don't know about everyone else out there, but I would like to become involved with radio communications club. I can't think of a better group of folks that I would like to learn the basics from.

What do yal think?

Greater Indianapolis Area
    Avoid CB radio. Can’t find many users and when I do, they’re usually truckers. Plus not much power.

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    A
    I don't know about everyone else out there, but I would like to become involved with radio communications club. I can't think of a better group of folks that I would like to learn the basics from.

What do yal think?

Greater Indianapolis Area
    Also, if anyone has a baofeng UV5R for sale, I’ll pay.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    If anyone buying a new Baofeng dual band is looking to program FRS/GMRS, caveat emptor that most new models are locked out for those freqs due to FCC rules. Older models can still access them.

FYI

Top Bottom