• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I need something to put under the tree that "Santa" brought me, so I've decided to treat myself to a new surround sound system. I have one right now, but it's old and the woofer rattles on -10, so I'm ready for a new system altogether.

I'll just start with a list of questions and go from there.

1. Brands (and how important is brand if it's from one of the "big" names)?

2. Is 7.1 that much better? WTF is the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 anyway (my current is 5.1)?

3. Anyone have a soundbar (+1 woofer)? How do they compare to a full set of speakers?

I'd like to keep the cost around $200-300...from what I've seen that looks doable, but I'll spend more if it's worth it.

Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    5.1 is fine for most rooms....long/large rooms may benefit from 7.1. Seven one gives you side speakers. Right and left middle.

Expensive headends with bad speakers are not going to do well. Inexpensive headends with quality speakers will do well. Sounds wise. I would put the cash in the speakers to begin with.

Headends with video upgrading tech I normally do not use much. I run the video out off the device....blue ray*** and send the sound out the hi-fi. Some of that is because my dennon is 13 years old and has composite in/out and s-video. It might be best but i see and hear no delay.

I recommend Dennon head ends with Klipsh speakers but that I doubt is do able under 300. Sony stuff seems to be your budget. Go to a few electronics stores I recommend ovation and check stuff out. Then get what sounds best in your budget. If you need to run rears without running wires to them sony makes a very nice setup for wireles rear speakers.

I have seen the sound bars that are do it all's. I don't recommend them but I am old school. I want to plug in a speaker not attach a bar. More speakers let the sound level remain low and the ability to hear the talking/speaking on the video hearable without the gun shots making you reach for your earplugs.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    5.1 is fine for most rooms....long/large rooms may benefit from 7.1. Seven one gives you side speakers. Right and left middle.

Expensive headends with bad speakers are not going to do well. Inexpensive headends with quality speakers will do well. Sounds wise. I would put the cash in the speakers to begin with.

Headends with video upgrading tech I normally do not use much. I run the video out off the device....blue ray*** and send the sound out the hi-fi. Some of that is because my dennon is 13 years old and has composite in/out and s-video. It might be best but i see and hear no delay.

I recommend Dennon head ends with Klipsh speakers but that I doubt is do able under 300. Sony stuff seems to be your budget. Go to a few electronics stores I recommend ovation and check stuff out. Then get what sounds best in your budget. If you need to run rears without running wires to them sony makes a very nice setup for wireles rear speakers.

I have seen the sound bars that are do it all's. I don't recommend them but I am old school. I want to plug in a speaker not attach a bar. More speakers let the sound level remain low and the ability to hear the talking/speaking on the video hearable without the gun shots making you reach for your earplugs.

Soundbars:

I'm not attaching anything to my TV. I was browsing ebay and saw something like this

Yamaha 7.1 Surround Sound Home Theater System | P. C. Richard & Son

with a sub and two rear speakers...I like the idea of less wires and less speakers hanging on my wall, but I want a quality sound to go with my quality TV, so if the bars are junk I don't want one.

BTW, WTF are headends?:):

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Pawn shop what you can, better system for the buck.
    There is the pawn shop around 52nd and keystone (by Kahns Liquors) that has a Harman Kardon AVR 220? for $110.00. Of course you can get a lower price and I am sure if you have cash you can get a better deal.

For your budget I would stick with a 5.1 and focus on getting the best speakers you can get and upgrade to 7.1 later.

My setups are Harman Kardon AVR 325, Cerwin Vega LS12's, Polk center, Cerwin Vega book shelves for rear. This is in my game room.

The living room has a Yamaha receiver (forget model number) and Klipsh front L/R towers and rear L/R surrounds. Polk 10" powered sub, the center I have a cheapo speaker, but it sounds pretty good.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'll readily admit that I am not an audiophile. That said, I'll share my experience and hope it helps you.

I recently bought a 450 watt Samsung soundbar with wireless subwoofer to my TV.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-E450-Wireless-AirTrack-Sound/dp/B0076U29LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355278550&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+soundbar+450]Amazon.com: Samsung HW-E450 Wireless AirTrack Sound Bar: Electronics[/ame]

I've never had anything besides straight TV speakers and I was hoping for something to give it a little more oomph. I was amazed at how good it sounded, especially once I started watching movies with sound deep sound effects. Even on a mild setting I can really feel the subwoofer. It also has bluetooth built in so I often play music from my phone through the soundbar/sub. Only drawback is that it doesn't have many HDMI or optical inputs (one HDMI in, one HDMI out, one optical in, RCA, 2.5 mm, and bluetooth). I have no qualms about recommending this setup as long as the inputs are adequate for you.

As it applies to your situation, I would think for your price range you could get a premium soundbar or a mediocre 5.1/7.1 setup. I chose the Samsung because both my blu ray player and TV are Samsung so they all play very nice with each other, however you can compare different brands here The Best Sound Bar for Less Than $300. I was amazed at the sound I could get out of a soundbar + subwoofer, but again all I had to compare it to was straight TV speakers and we all know they are crap.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My advice, don't cheap out, avoid the soundbars (except for bedrooms) and "home theater in a box" systems, and any system with a bunch of little cubes with 2 inch speakers.

System should have 50w per channel minimum and 5 inch or greater main speakers with tweeters and 4 inch or greater surrounds. All speakers should be magnetically shielded. Add a subwoofer for bass.

Most importantly, listen to some of your favorite music on the system before you buy.

Personally, I have an older 5.1 channel Onkyo reciever and speakers from KLH and Onkyo with a 12" 100w KLH sub.

But in my little tiny car... Kenwood stereo, 6.5" Orion made components with 1" dome tweeters up front running off a 2 channel Amp, 6.5' Pioneers in back running of the stereo unit, and twin 10" subwoofers in sealed enclosure running off a 500w RMS Alpine Amp...

...for a total of 644w RMS (1350 total watts) in a sub compact Chevy...

Last edited:

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I would recommend auditioning a few Av Receivers and speaker combinations, and 5.1 will get you everything you need. Take music you like, and videos to audition. That might not work if you goto Bestbuy or Frys, but they should have material for you to listen to.

Check out Frys they have been having some decent sales. They carry Polk, Klipsch and some other brands that I dont remember. Each will have their own sound qualities. This is very subjective, what I like you may not, so that is why it is important for you to go an listen to see what you think sounds good to you.

I wouldnt recommend surround in a box, and I'm not into sound bars unless for your bedroom too. If you can afford to go more I would, and if it means holding off to save more, then I would recommend that.

Lots of good recommendations on receiver brands. I like Denon and Marantz. Yamaha, Onkyo, HK are good brands as well.

Look at NewEgg.com they are having some incredible deals on Polk Monitors.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Agree with a Denon(AVR 1912) unit and klipsh speakers. If your building a home theater expect to pay a bit more. I have a theater room with the equipment mentioned, granted the cost was around $2500 and included the receiver, speakers wires an Epson home theater projector and theater wall paint. I get high def with an amazing 7.1 surround sound. The Denon surround sound can be customized in detail and will automatically decode your BluRay disc.

Last edited:

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Wow I'm checking out Newegg more and they have some Definitive Techs Studio Monitor 350s - must be clearing them out for 180 a pair. Def Tech is a good brand too. Didnt realize they were now sold on the Internet. You could buy 2 pair of these for your Fronts and Rears for 360 and have a much nicer set up than what you were looking at for 300. They are not having good pricing on the DefTEch centers that would be the downside.

I think the wife would kill me if some deftech boxes show up on the porch lol.

Lodekai

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    All well said. Three inputs I have are,
    1. Make sure you can return no questions asked. What you like at the store will sound different at home.
    2. Spend as much as possible on speakers. Recievers are built with planned obselescence. Speakers are not. As fast as hook up cables are changing, nothing will connect to your reciever in 3-5 years.
    3. Buy a cheap Radio Shack sound DB meter to fine tune the settings.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My advice, don't cheap out, avoid the soundbars (except for bedrooms) and "home theater in a box" systems, and any system with a bunch of little cubes with 2 inch speakers.

System should have 50w per channel minimum and 5 inch or greater main speakers with tweeters and 4 inch or greater surrounds. All speakers should be magnetically shielded. Add a subwoofer for bass.

Most importantly, listen to some of your favorite music on the system before you buy.

Personally, I have an older 5.1 channel Onkyo reciever and speakers from KLH and Onkyo with a 12" 100w KLH sub.

But in my little tiny car... Kenwood stereo, 6.5" Orion made components with 1" dome tweeters up front running off a 2 channel Amp, 6.5' Pioneers in back running of the stereo unit, and twin 10" subwoofers in sealed enclosure running off a 500w RMS Alpine Amp...

...for a total of 644w RMS (1350 total watts) in a sub compact Chevy...

What he said... Audio is like guns... Get what you pay for... Soundbars are good for small rooms.. That's about it. The low end surround sound stuff really is not impressive... Not a fan of the all in a box surround sound stuff. Polk makes some good in wall and ceiling speakers that are often on sale cheap on amazon and they sound great but on a super good sale you are talking $100 each I think....

For something on the cheap listen to the stuff at ovation and best buy and all and see what you like.

For a system that will rock your house hard you will need to probably spend a bit more then your budget just on the receiver.... I want a higher end onkyo receive and the sub is around $800... Have a cheap surround sound for the garage.

Also speaker wire quality and size can affect it...

You can get some nice surround sound headphones also.

For 2-300 you won't be happy... Will be like buying a hi-point instead of a 1911...

Top Bottom