• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    This is right up my alley, and if its going to be in the evening, I'd like to go. I may have difficulty arranging a DD, however...I still don't know a lot of people up here.

However, I am willing to donate use of my house, if no other venue presents itself. Its TINY, and 20 people would be quite a crowd, but I've got a back yard we could spill out into if necessary.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, we have a couple of houses offered as backups. I need a volunteer to check some local parks or something in the Greater Indy area (probably not Marion County since they'll fall under the IndyParks no-carry ordinance). It'll need to have a pavilion with picnic tables, and a public bathroom (or at least an outhouse), as well as not be alcohol-free. My preference is northside Indianapolis. Carmel/Westfield/Fishers/Noblesville, etc. If a park isn't going to work, then I need suggestions for an alternative. If you guys want to just hang it and pick someone's house, that's fine, too.

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    Hey, since what you guys are puttin together is a beer tasting..then you might all wanna read this on cleansing the pallet after each beer. There are also a few other good tips in the article. Have fun everyone!

"Cleanse the Palate: It’s highly recommended that you have some water as well as bread, crackers and even popcorn on hand to cleanse the palate between beers and to help stave off inebriation. Avoid salty foods or anything that could overpower the senses – you want to clean the palate, not destroy it. " - How to Host a Beer-Tasting Party - BeerAdvocate

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Woohoo, it must be my birthday! Oh wait, it is (for another minute). I'm in.

ETA: If plans fall through for anyone, will there be a waiting list in the unfortunate event that one of us may not be able to make it? Some may not be able to find a DD, have some sort of emergency, forget about the plans their wife made, etc. Just a thought :).

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Below are a few options to check into as far as places we could hold the event. If someone doesn't get to it before, I will try to call them on Monday and ask some questions. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it until Monday or so.

Cool Creek Park - This is right off of 151st and Meridian, so it would be convenient access for most. It also has an amphitheater that holds free concerts in the summer, and I am almost certain I have seen coolers go in/out, so I assume they allow alcohol. (I may be completely wrong.)

Another option is just to call the below and ask for suggestions as they have a bunch of parks:
    City of Wetfield Parks and Rec Department
    Please Call 317-804-3150 to reserve a Picnic Shelter.

A Noblesville Park would be an affirmative per the below except the shelters require an unknown fee:

ALCOHOL
    : Alcohol is allowed in the Noblesville City Parks. If you are serving alcohol to guests in your party on Park property, you are required to file liability and insurance documents with the Noblesville Parks and Recreation Administrative Office prior to the event. Call for details, 317-776-6350.

Forest Park - Noblesville
    317-776-6350

Morse Beach Park - Northern Noblesville
    776-9743

There are many other parks they have as well......

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    suggestion

After some discussion in one of the beer threads, I suggested we put together a little INGO Beer Fest.

Note that this is not intended to be a frat night kegger. This is strictly a private party, invitation-only get-together for the purpose of sampling beers you haven't tried before. If you want to "get loaded", stay home and drink Bud Light.

2. Location
    a. Somebody's house, a local park, a VFW hall, etc. The facility will need a bathroom and alcohol must be legal to consume on the premises.

7. The Beer
    a. Each attendee will provide a minimum of one six-pack of your favorite beer. You will need to list the beer you intend to bring so we don't have duplicates. I'd like to keep it limited to actual beer, and beer that people want to try, so no Coors, Bud, Bud Light, any of the garbage that Anheuser-Busch brews (like their little fake micro-brews), etc. I'm talking premium beers only. Don't cheap out on us.
    b. You can probably bring more than one six-pack if you want, but remember, there are around 20 people. That's 20 six packs. Six beers per person. For TASTING. I'm done after two bottles, so I'm not tasting 120 different beers.

8. Supplies
    a. We'll probably need some supplies: Small (Dixie-sized?) plastic cups, garbage bags, etc. Definitely need at least several tubs/coolers of ice, especially if the beer isn't pre-chilled. Remember, we'll need to chill a minimum of 120 bottles.

OK I've read through all the postings and just wanted to give my 2 cents worth. As a former contributing writer to Indianabeer.com for 4 years, I've been to, participated in, and ran numerous beer tastings. Here are some things that I wanted to pass on....specifically relating to Scutter's original post.

One person needs to be put in charge to keep things running smoothly, there can be as many helpers as needed, but there needs to be only one person that makes the rules...trust me on this things can get out of hand very quickly and turn into a frat house beer slam!

The location needs to be carefully picked. As stated alot of the parks wants some kind of reliability release. Plus if it is a public venue, you have to be careful of the ATF...if you do not have a pour license, you can fined for serving alcohol without a license. That is why a private residence/venue is best, unless you have someone with a license.

As mentioned supplies are needed. Besides glasses for everyone you need pitchers for water to rinse out your glass between samples, and some kind of dump bucket to pour into. 20 people will go through alot of water in the course of a tasting. For every glass of beer consumed you should drink the like amount of water to stay hydrated...trust me on this you'll feel better the next day!

Now for the beer :40oz: It was mentioned that each person bring a six pack....there is a problem with this.

Say there are 20 people at this tasting, and everyone gets 3 ounces of beer per sample. That is 60 ounces of beer per selection which is 3 bombers, or 5 12 ounce bottles. A sixer of mixed beer isn't going to be enough to sample.

So if there are 20 people each person should bring enough of one beer each to provide a 3 oz sample to everyone. 20 beers to taste at one tasting is plenty. Remember this isn't your 5%abv Bud...most good beer start at 6-7% and go as high as 15-20%abv

3 oz of beer doesn't sound like much, but drink 20 of them.....:alcoholic:you will leave this buzzed. So a DD is most definetly needed.

As I said this is just my :twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Agreed on the parks thing. I have a feeling that will be a no-go no matter how we look at it, so we'll need to look at a private facility (such as a house).

Indybeer raises a good point regarding the sixers. In my head, we're not sampling every single beer. We're sampling 6-10 different beers or so across a selection of 20-30 different flavors. I assume there will be plenty of leftover. I only said "six pack" because that's the smallest unit available and we won't have a dozen beers per person.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Hey guys i would be interested in this. I would most likely be a DD for someone. I won't know for sure until we pick a place and a time. If the fiance works them i am game and can drive someone. If the fiance doesn't work maybe she will be my DD, although she will probably have something planned for us. And i think September 12th is going to be my bachelor party so i will be a no go. Although we will be having a rather large beer tasting ha.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cool Creek Park - This is right off of 151st and Meridian, so it would be convenient access for most. It also has an amphitheater that holds free concerts in the summer, and I am almost certain I have seen coolers go in/out, so I assume they allow alcohol. (I may be completely wrong.)

I am pretty sure that Cool Creek Park has a no alcohol policy. Yup,

Hamilton County, IN ::. Park*Rules*&*Hours

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom