Informing FedEx that your package has a firearm in it???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I'm having to send my BG .380 back to S&W for repairs and they sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping label. It states in the return shipping instructions that, " FedEx REQUIRES that you verbally inform the receiving FedEx employee that a package contains a firearm".:noway:

Anyone else here have a problem with this one? I know I do! Not real sure what I'm going to do. I wonder what FedEx or whomever can/would do if I didn't feel I wanted to give this kind of info out to a complete stranger. Seems to me you're just asking for it to be stolen.:dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm having to send my BG .380 back to S&W for repairs and they sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping label. It states in the return shipping instructions that, " FedEx REQUIRES that you verbally inform the receiving FedEx employee that a package contains a firearm".:noway:

Anyone else here have a problem with this one? I know I do! Not real sure what I'm going to do. I wonder what FedEx or whomever can/would do if I didn't feel I wanted to give this kind of info out to a complete stranger. Seems to me you're just asking for it to be stolen.:dunno:

The employees at the hub on Morris St. (where you'll have to take it) are very professional and polite. I sent my M&P back to Smith a few weeks ago through that hub and all was great.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As per their policy, I did inform them. They asked me if it was unloaded and that there was no ammo in the box. I told them that it was empty and that there was no ammo in there. He said "thank you" and put the box in the bin.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    As per their policy, I did inform them. They asked me if it was unloaded and that there was no ammo in the box. I told them that it was empty and that there was no ammo in there. He said "thank you" and put the box in the bin.

Sweet...doing this soon myself...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When my case of armor piercing 30-06 came from the CMP, the FedEx guy asked me what it was since it required adult signature. I told him ammo. He just says, oh that makes sense.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Fed Ex and UPS both will not ship firearms from an individual any other way than overnight.
    It seems that sometime in the past firearms were being stolen before they arrived at their destination.
    Apparently, the overnight packages are tracked more strictly and treated with more security.
    This results in a minimum charge to ship a firearm of about $60. :eek:
    If I cannot get a prepaid label, I will take it to a local gun store, they can use USPS and will usually ship it for about half of what the overnight charge with UPS and FedEx is.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    When I sent my Taurus back for service, Taurus sent a Fed Ex driver to my door, -w- a shipping label, to pick up my gun. She didn't ask what was in the box, and I never said, just some small talk while I finished filling out the label, (she had already put the Taurus account number in the space for billing).

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Can't say I blame them. Think of the lawsuit they would face if something went wrong. Say you send a loaded firearm on accident and it somehow went off as the box got damaged. (hypothetical) and killed a person. I can't blame them for covering their bases when its their butts.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I was at a gunshop last Friday & he was getting ready to ship a firearm out of state through US Postal Service.
    I told him that I thought you couldn't do that!
    He said you could as long as you shipped Priority Mail.
    Good to know.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was at a gunshop last Friday & he was getting ready to ship a firearm out of state through US Postal Service.
    I told him that I thought you couldn't do that!
    He said you could as long as you shipped Priority Mail.
    Good to know.

You are both incorrect. Individuals may ship long guns through USPS via any service they choose, providing they follow USPS rules and regs. I have shipped long guns via Priority Mail and Registered Mail. FFL holders may ship handguns through USPS as well as long guns.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    When my case of armor piercing 30-06 came from the CMP, the FedEx guy asked me what it was since it required adult signature. I told him ammo. He just says, oh that makes sense.

UPS doesnt even require a signature! They just toss it (and I mean that literally) at my door. I have never once signed for ammo. On a semi-related note, the first time I ordered ammo from Sportsman Guide, it had a HUGE "Contains explosive cartridges" sticker on it. It sat on my porch the entire day. When I got home, I could see the package from the street, and could see the sticker clearly from the sidewalk. So stupid. Im glad that has since changed though.

I have no problem declaring a firearm (though I have never done so). By the time you do so, its insured. If its stolen, that is their problem. Thankfully Indiana doesnt require you to register weapons, so its not like a stolen gun will come back to haunt you in the future. You will simply get a new one once the insurance claim comes back.

Top Bottom