• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I am considering parting ways with on of my highly sought after NIB mini-14s in favor of buying a SIG 556. I like the piston system, and several other features. However my knowledge is somewhat limited on these. Primarily just going to be a shooter/antiwildlife system. Trying to decide between models. Let me hear what you like about these rifles and which models specifically. Thanks
    :biggun:

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I own a Sig 556 ER, basically the basic model of the Sig rifles. I wanted the ER because I didnt like the folding stock. Plus adding the Troy or Samson quadrail soon. Its accurate with heavier grain ammo such as 62-77 .223 or 556. I normally shoot 55 grain for plinking around and its cheap. Sigs are alittle front heavy compared to Ar15s due to the piston system. Easy to clean and simple to break down. Not alot of aftermarket for sigs yet, the only downfall. Eats everything I throw at it and havent even had to switch it to the second setting on the gas.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I was planning on buying one, but after handling one at the 1500 I was not impressed granted I have not shot one so I can't comment on that aspect but I really did not like the way it felt when I held it, butt stock was far too short for my taste and it seemed too front heavy, I am glad I got to hold it because I had planned on ordering one from Bud's the following Tuesday and I am glad I did not order it!! To each his own but the gun was not for me, myself, and I !:D

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    From what I had heard being front heavy would prevent muzzle rise and a better follow up shot. Not your experience?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    From what I had heard being front heavy would prevent muzzle rise and a better follow up shot. Not your experience?
    That is true. Most people don't initially like the feel of them, but I have never had anybody that still had that feeling after shooting it. They're all amazed at how it shoots. It's hard to explain, but it's like the recoil just feels "smooth" and follow-up shots are much quicker.

I'm not up on all the models, mine is "the original" model (I was an early fan). I honestly wish I would've bought a couple more of the early models, back when they were using parts that were suspected to be real swiss parts and when they were basically stripped of all the extras and were cheaper. The BUIS on the new ones are cheap from what I've seen, and they bump the price up, when I'd rather just not even have them on there.

ETA, and you really want impress some people, put a suppressor on it. Then do the same thing with an AR. Even though most people say suppression will be better on the AR because of the DI system, they're wrong. The suppression is excellent on the sig, and if you really want to make it quiet, turn the gas valve 180 degrees and it will essentially turn it off, forcing all the gas through the suppressor, but also forcing you to manually cycle it.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    That is true. Most people don't initially like the feel of them, but I have never had anybody that still had that feeling after shooting it. They're all amazed at how it shoots. It's hard to explain, but it's like the recoil just feels "smooth" and follow-up shots are much quicker.

I'm not up on all the models, mine is "the original" model (I was an early fan). I honestly wish I would've bought a couple more of the early models, back when they were using parts that were suspected to be real swiss parts and when they were basically stripped of all the extras and were cheaper. The BUIS on the new ones are cheap from what I've seen, and they bump the price up, when I'd rather just not even have them on there.

ETA, and you really want impress some people, put a suppressor on it. Then do the same thing with an AR. Even though most people say suppression will be better on the AR because of the DI system, they're wrong. The suppression is excellent on the sig, and if you really want to make it quiet, turn the gas valve 180 degrees and it will essentially turn it off, forcing all the gas through the suppressor, but also forcing you to manually cycle it.

I have two Sig 556. 1st one is a very basic model with the collapsible non-folding AR stock, I purchased when they first came out and absolutely fell in love with it. With the exception of it being front heavy (which can become uncomfortable when shooting from an unsupported position for an extended period of time) it's a great weapon. Very accurate and very smooth to shoot. My 2nd is a Sig 556 SBR with the collapsible folding stock. Now that thing is the sweetest thing ever. It's by far not as front heavy as the carbine version and is very compact, especially when the stock is folded to the side. It is very, very accurate for such a small package and very smooth to shoot. The recoil on the 556SBR is very minimal. I would advise against the P556 pistol unless you plan to SBR it. Because w/o a stock it is not very accurate and really of very limited use. It does look cool. SBRing a P556 with a non-collapsible stock though will be a lot cheaper than a factory Sig SBR. I am still waiting on my first suppressor so no experience with that.

I am waiting on the Sig 516 and 716. They use a piston upper like the 556 but work with a regular AR15 or AR10 lower.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Pics or BAN! Srsly.

:rolleyes: Mods abusing their power:dunno:, where will this lead too ...

fwp2f9.jpg

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have a 556 SWAT version. It shoots very accurately with heavier rounds, and I have had no problems with anything thats in brass casings. Some of the cheaper steel cased ammo will FTF for some reason, this is using PMAGS so It's not a mag problem, however they will feed perfectly on the higher gas setting. Im hoping this problem will resolve after I get more rounds through it.
    As other's have said it is front heavy, but this helps with recoil. There is more felt recoil than a lot of the AR's Ive shot because of the lack of a buffer tube. However, there is still no problem getting back on target for fast follow up shots.
    It is AMAZING how clean the bolt and chamber area are after a day at the range compared to an AR which makes cleaning much easier. And what's not to love about a folding/collapsible stock? You can fold it up and fire with it no problem, it is also easy to get into a medium sized duffel bag for more discrete transporting of the rifle.
    Check out this forum...SIG 556 :: Index...it is dedicated to the 556, great info there.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    It shoots very accurately with heavier rounds, and I have had no problems with anything thats in brass casings. Some of the cheaper steel cased ammo will FTF for some reason, this is using PMAGS so It's not a mag problem, .

Very interesting. All I usually shoot is steel cased Wolf in different weights. Never had a problem FTF or FTE. Most of the time I just use whatever mag is loaded, combination of either Sig, Pmag or metal.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    One other problem I had with my Sig 556 was the half of the spent cases ejected were dented. Don't know why it did that.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    One other problem I had with my Sig 556 was the half of the spent cases ejected were dented. Don't know why it did that.

Were they dented at the neck? From what I hear that is from being slammed into the receiver upon ejecting...which is why the cases are ejected forward. If you're talking about a dent on the side of the casing I've had some of those too, but I dont know what it's from.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Very interesting. All I usually shoot is steel cased Wolf in different weights. Never had a problem FTF or FTE. Most of the time I just use whatever mag is loaded, combination of either Sig, Pmag or metal.

yea it's weird. Most of the time it will cycle just fine, but then Ill get 3 or 4 times in a row where Ill have to hand cycle it to chamber the round. It's happened with Wolf military classic 55gr, and Silver bear 55gr. Although Ive shot through more then 100rds of silver bear without a hiccup a few times. Im beginning to think it has something to do with the weapon being "cold"...If I am shooting something else before going to a steel case it won't happen...I don't get it...

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Were they dented at the neck? From what I hear that is from being slammed into the receiver upon ejecting...which is why the cases are ejected forward. If you're talking about a dent on the side of the casing I've had some of those too, but I dont know what it's from.

just looked at some of my used brass and they are dented at the neck too, can this be fixed??

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    just looked at some of my used brass and they are dented at the neck too, can this be fixed??

I've heard of people putting velcro strips (fabric side of course) where the shells hit when they eject to keep from getting scratches/marks on the upper. I don't know if that would give enough padding to stop the casings from getting dented though. Might be worth a try.

Top Bottom