Indy1500 show car breakins... still going on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Was on a discussion in another board where a gentleman referenced a thread here about car breakins at the Indy1500 show.

I visit the 1500 at least a couple of times a year and this has caused me some concern about the safety and security of the lot there. I had always assumed the security there to be marginally better than the neighborhood where the Fairgrounds are located, but apparently that's not the case.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on where is the safest place(s) to park and has anyone given any thought to either approaching the show sponsors to provide some private security for the lot if IMPD won't patrol the lots?

Thanks in advance.

John

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I park on the grounds, rather than across the street. I also try to park close, rather than in the (un-patrolled) back 40. Keep anything of value out of sight and locked up.

Yes, there are still thefts at almost any event at the fairgrounds.

I never quite understood why a crook would purposefully break into a car owned by someone they KNOW is armed.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First, welcome to :ingo:

You might consider stopping by here and telling us a bit about yourself.
    Introductions and Greetings - INGunOwners

Also, you would be wise to take a moment and read the forum rules and FAQ (see links in my sig line).

As to your question, I'm sure someone's car gets broken into about every show, but I'm not aware of any rashes of such activity since the thread you referenced from January. IMO, you run a risk anytime you attend a public event where large numbers of cars are present, but there are some very easy things you can do to reduce your target profile (drive a modest/unremarkable vehicle without "steal me" stickers on it, lock your doors, keep valuables stored out of sight). Parking closer to the entrance or the road might help, too, as it would increase a thief's chances of being spotted, but we don't always get the choice.

I never quite understood why a crook would purposefully break into a car owned by someone they KNOW is armed.

Because you're obviously not there, but your gun might be.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    That's why I just leave my gun and other valuables on the hood. If they're going to steal it anyway, at least I won't have a broken window, too.
    Isn't baiting illegal?

Maybe a blue gun glued to the hood, keep them on the bait pile a little longer....

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    ACTUALLY, the OP asked if the breakins are still going on. And the answer is, Nope. Because the 1500 won't be going on until the end of August. That's when they'll start again! :D

You all need to learn how to read!

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    I have been to a 1500 once. Can someone make clear on the procedure on not being able to carry loaded there? Thanks.

(hoping raven will make mag and light pouch for me next month)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I have been to a 1500 once. Can someone make clear on the procedure on not being able to carry loaded there? Thanks.

clear your weapon before entering the building. Bring an empty spare mag, pocket the loaded one. Officers inside the door will put an orange strap on your gun and it must have an orange strap on it when you leave.

As far as the break ins. I am a dealer there. I have been doing shows for years there. Park in the main lot with an exhibitor tag in my windshield and have NEVER been broken into. Yes it does happen, yes it will happen again. It isn't just the fairgrounds, it is everywhere. The fairgrounds just happen to have a bunch of vehicles in one spot which make it easier.
    Don't leave anything inside your vehicle worth losing and nothing in plain sight. Basic rules for where ever you go.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    First, welcome to :ingo:

Thank you.

You might consider stopping by here and telling us a bit about yourself.
    Introductions and Greetings - INGunOwners

Done.

Also, you would be wise to take a moment and read the forum rules and FAQ (see links in my sig line).

That took more than a moment. That's one long FAQ.

I'm not aware of any rashes of such activity since the thread you referenced from January.

That's primarily what I was looking for.

I've always been very relaxed in Indy and have considered a move over to that area. Didn't really consider anywhere there to be "bad", especially considering the size of the city.

Thanks for other recommendations in the thread about where to park (closer to the entrance, etc.).

John

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Hypothetically you could have a loaded BUG in your pocket, just don't pull it out!

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    Actually the fairgrounds are state property so anything that happens inside the fairgrounds are handled by state police. The fairgrounds also have private security 24/7. They look just like what you find at Walmart's parking lot, old guys, half asleep, driving white Ford Rangers w/ yellow lights & blinders over their eyes so they don't see anything.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry for the bump.

While I've only attended the 1500 once, however it seemed to me that the state police and IMPD were a rather large presence. I know I saw multiple units patrolling around the grounds when we arrived, and since I didn't leave until after closing time, there were several units parked in the mostly deserted lot waiting until everyone left.

I would say the police presence was probably pretty decent, but again, it was my first time there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you are going to leave a German Shepard in your car, could you leave a BIG bag of dogfood. There might be other events to puruse on the way home.

You must have me and my dogs confused with someone else. I do not own pets or companions...
    My dogs are working dogs. I would like to see some one get into my truck without shooting the dog first... ;)

Top Bottom