• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thinking about a zoo trip in the near future. We've been to the Indy zoo plenty of times, and the new orangutan area is something we want to see, BUT we will probably be close to the Cinci zoo as well, and as a family we've never been, and I don't think I've ever been.

So how is the Cinci zoo, and which one would you visit?

thanks,
    clay

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Cinci Zoo is in the middle of the worst part of Cincinnati. Take guns for everyone, that way you won't feel out of place. It's the pits. The Indy Zoo is fantastic an din my opinion every bit as good as St. Louis or Cincy Zoo. The Cincy Zoo is a shadow of its former greatness. You won't be missing much if you avoid it.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    The Cinci Zoo is in the middle of the worst part of Cincinnati. Take guns for everyone, that way you won't feel out of place.

Yeah, but if all you have is an Indiana LTCH, you'll have to remember to stop in West Harrison and unload those suckers and put em in the trunk. Doesn't do any good there.

The Cincy zoo isn't in any worse of an area than the Indy zoo, and is much cheaper. We're going to Cincy so I don't feel like my wallet is violated on the way in the door.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yeah, but if all you have is an Indiana LTCH, you'll have to remember to stop in West Harrison and unload those suckers and put em in the trunk. Doesn't do any good there.

The Cincy zoo isn't in any worse of an area than the Indy zoo, and is much cheaper. We're going to Cincy so I don't feel like my wallet is violated on the way in the door.

I beg to differ. The Cincy Zoo neighborhood area is one of the highest crime areas in Hamilton County Ohio. It'd be like moving the Indy Zoo to the near eastside of Indianapolis. Make sure you're wearing the right colors when you visit.

It's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Neither is going to be great mid summer. The plains animals will be hiding in the shade and you might get to see something walking to a water area is about all. Go to the one with the most indoor areas. Outdoor caged fenced animals will not be active.

would be better to go in cooler months the mid summer. Thus why they offer big group and single ticket discounts mid summer.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've taken my family to the Cincy Zoo twice, and imho it is way better than the Indy Zoo. The neighborhoods on the way to the zoo do look very shady and dangerous, but once in the zoo, we felt safe.

I remember our first time to the zoo, they had a giant American Crocodile; he was extremely impressive, but I guess he died, and now they have dinky croc in his tank. They also had a huge animatronic dinosaur exhibit at the time, but it is also gone.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We've been to the Cincy zoo a number of times. Hands down a better zoo than Indy and well worth the trip. The neighbourhood is just fine, it's older and we've never experienced any issues over many years. Ignore Bob's advice to take guns, unless you want to go to prison. Ohio does not recognise our LTCH and it just isn't that bad. Get there in the morning, before the heat of the day and you're parking in the zoo's lots.We love the trip and usually make a day of it. A trip to the zoo, a late lunch at Terry's Turf Club and a stop in at Jungle Jim's and maybe Bass on the way home. Go and enjoy it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Indy Zoo is one of the worst in the region, unless you really really really want to see dolphins. I much prefer Louisville (better laid out, more to see, more inside stuff to get a break from the heat, etc.). Cincy would be 2nd place.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    We usually get an Indy Zoo membership just because it is convienent, and we like going during spring, fall, and winter, when animals are active.

Also, we never watch the dolphin show, it gets boring pretty quick.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wife's company picnik is at the Cincy Zoo every year, we think it's fantastic! I've been to the Indy Zoo several times as well, it's not bad at all but Cincy is nice. The Gorilla exhibit is fantastic!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've been to both a number of times and the Cincinnati zoo is about 2-3x larger and has a lot more to see. They have private parking, so I'm not terribly concerned about the neighborhood. The Indy zoo is about 15 minutes away, but I'll still travel 70+ minutes to Cincinnati at least once/year.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just returned from Columbus, and was told by at least 5 people their zoo is fantastic. Never been to Cincy Zoo, but just did Brookfield Park Zoo mid May, and it was extremely disappointing! Larger and prettier than Indy, but less animals, come on man what kinda zoo has no elephants?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I have been to quite a few but I will give the nod for the best one to the Columbus Zoo in Columbus Ohio....It's that special....

I haven't been,but from what I've been told and read Columbus is pretty much the cream of the crop. An extra hour drive but...:dunno:

Top Bottom