• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    That’s true, but until then get the Lifetime and keep your mouth shut. Like T. Lex said....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, in Texas the don't have a lifetime license or permit, so neither does Indiana.

(that guaranteed Kirk Bait!)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I did not completely break down the gun, but I did dry fire with the barrel removed so I could visually check to see if the firing pin was protruding out into the chamber when the hammer dropped. I did not see that.

There could be a chance that somehow the pin is still in there, but the tip was somehow damaged or broke off.
    Long overdue update:

The firing pin in my Bersa was broken. I suspect it had been the entire time and was likely why somebody tossed it in the first place.

I'd also guess it was never actually test fired for ballistics after it was recovered.

I've since replaced the firing pin. The gun works great now.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That gun is either a impd " throw down "
    LkmtY1j.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How is this not a 4th amendment issue?
    I mean, holding something for evidence is one thing.
    But, because they need to run ballistics on everything, even if it's not suspected in being used in a crime?

Are we going to start confiscating cell phones for no reason, and wait for the forensic science (or whatever it's called) to be done?

And holding on to it forever? (or at least for months/years)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Has anybody tried just offering the person in charge $50 or so as a gratuity for the firearm? Seems like that would be less expensive than a lawsuit or even the time involved making extra trips to the property room.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    The "ballistic testing" takes about a week, or possibly 3 in extreme cases if the crime lab is backed up. The reason why firearms haven't been returned would not be because of the ballistic testing. The previous individuals who worked that department would tell people inquiring about their firearms anything besides the truth. Which was the sole individual who could release the firearm simply had not got around to reviewing the inquiring individual's file. ALL of the people that were in that department are no longer employed with IMPD.

Is it a 4th Amendment issue? Possibly. Depends on the individual cases. I don't have time to read through 400+ posts in this thread. But my understanding is this original post was from some time ago.

There are well over 20k firearms in IMPD's possession. If anyone wants to discuss any individual case of a firearm being held by IMPD, I will gladly assist by telling you what is currently causing your delay. Things are changing for the better. Far from perfect, but they are improving.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The "ballistic testing" takes about a week, or possibly 3 in extreme cases if the crime lab is backed up. The reason why firearms haven't been returned would not be because of the ballistic testing. The previous individuals who worked that department would tell people inquiring about their firearms anything besides the truth. Which was the sole individual who could release the firearm simply had not got around to reviewing the inquiring individual's file. ALL of the people that were in that department are no longer employed with IMPD.

Is it a 4th Amendment issue? Possibly. Depends on the individual cases. I don't have time to read through 400+ posts in this thread. But my understanding is this original post was from some time ago.

There are well over 20k firearms in IMPD's possession. If anyone wants to discuss any individual case of a firearm being held by IMPD, I will gladly assist by telling you what is currently causing your delay. Things are changing for the better. Far from perfect, but they are improving.
    Good to know its improving.

Top Bottom