• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    OK. My wife and I's 5yr wedding anniversary is the coming up. It's on a Saturday. My parents agreed to watch our 3 kids from Thursday night until Sunday night.

We are on a budget and since we do not have time to travel that far, I am looking for local romantic vacation ideas. I have found a couple places that seem alright but, I really have not vacationed anywhere in Indiana before.

I'm hoping that some of you guys have had a similar predicament and could offer me some advice.

Thanks,

-Kick

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    State parks with inns are usually a good bet.

Madison, IN had a bed-n-breakfast back when I was going to school down there. I'm sure it's still there. Probably more than one.

Might find some more ideas HERE

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Brown county has some great cabins to rent. Great fun walking around the town, and fun to go hiking in the park too. Me and my wife went there for our 1 year Aniversary. Congratulations on you 5 year Aniversary. Will be celebrating my 9 year at the end of the month.

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you're up in NWI, right over IL line on US 30 (I hate recommending anyone go to that damn state but this might be worth it) is this place:

Sybaris - Romantic Weekend Getaways in Chicago (IL), Milwaukee (WI), and Indianapolis (IN)

There's also a location in Indianapolis, but the one in Frankfort is nicer (though they're both really nice). The basic gist is that IN YOUR ROOM, you get a hot tub, steam room, massage chair, fireplace, and a swimming pool...in your room. They're extraordinarily clean and with the right discount codes you can shave a ton off of the listed price, usually to the tune of $130+ off of the standard rate.

They do have some non-pool suites, but that would be a waste if you ask me. There are three types with pools, the Paradise, the Majestic, and the Chalet. The paradise and majestic are pretty much identical but the majestic has a larger pool (the paradise one is plenty big enough). The Chalet has all of the amenities of those two, plus a water slide and a private garage for your vehicle (maybe a good chance to relive some of those fond roadside memories :rockwoot:), though it's significantly more expensive and not really worth it to me.

I've got an email w/some discount info I can forward your way if you're interested. My wife and I go there as often as possible, it's a good time. :)

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sybaris is expensive and gross.

Do you like camping? A nice quiet wooded site could be rather romantic and much cheaper than the inns. Get one with a shower house and add some romance with a late night trip...

'scuse me, I gotta go book a camping trip!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Pokagon State Park... There are a few wineries up there, too.

Could also think about the New Buffalo area of Michigan. That's quite close.

Due south on US 41 will take you to Turkey Run - with (better) Shades State Park very nearby.

McCormick's Creek is nice, as is Clifty Falls SP in Madison. Madison is a quite historic old city with some decent B&Bs (From what I understand) and a few decent hotels.

Heck, even Louisville isn't that far away - but that's a 4+ hour drive from NWI.

Could even think about heading a little further east and going to Put In Bay / Sandusky, OH. Cedar Point!

-J-

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Pokagon state park is a winner and is close to you it would seem. Turkey run is nice as is the horse back riding and canoing.

Your not helping us as we have no idea what you are into...

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If you want a less people vacation, then a state park would be a good idea. Brown Co. would also have fewer people around. Brown Co. is nice because you can drive about 30ish mins. east or west and hit Columbus or Bloomington (or both). Or do you want an urban vacation and stay someplace in Indy and see all the stuff Indy has to offer? That pretty much is it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Brown County would be a good choice. Might also check out Shipshewana, if she likes that kind of thing -- pretty popular with women.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Check out www.antlerlogcabins.com They are in Monroe Co. on the Brown Co. line. They are secluded and very quiet. Close to Brown Co. and close to a lot of good dining in Bloomington.

A friend of mine owns them. He built all of the cabins himself, starting with cutting the logs. They are exceptionally well done, traditional square-log dovetailed.

Dirty Steve

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Thank you guys for all of the input. It looks like there are a couple of state parks that I am going to have to look into. The sybaris seems like a decent idea but, I'm a little hesitant on the clean factor, which makes me sure that my wife would be totally grossed out.

Sorry for the lack of detail but, my wife and I are a living example of opposites attract. If you name something, one of us would love it and the other would hate it. She is from the northwest side of Chicago and the best date of my life was the day I moved to Indiana.

Since we have been married, I am happy to say that we have each introduced each other to multiple new experiences. It seemed like when we were dating, we would take turns deciding what to do. Every time it was her turn, I cringed at the idea and she would cringe when it was my turn. Turns out that we both found that there are a lot of things that we truly enjoyed that we would have never tried if it weren't for each other. I am happiest to say that she went from a see no evil hear no evil (she knew I always carried a firearm but refused to acknowledge it) stance on firearms, to asking when we can go shooting again!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you want to give your wife something she has never had, then take her to the Sybaris...there you can flop around in the hot tub and collect DNA fragments from the last 25 or 30 people that got jiggy in it. Honestly, you'll get fewer germs sleeping on the bathroom floor of the bus station.

If you're on a budget, the State Park Inns are hard to beat, good food, clean rooms, no spunk tubs...plus you have the whole park to relax in, go hiking, swimming, or just find a place to spread out a blanket and smooch away the day.

Top Bottom