• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    saw the protesters at the statehouse and just wanted to walk in there and fart.

they do not represent most of the voters. hopefully the law makers dont fall for the unions same ole same ole strong arm mob tactics.

i grew up in a union household and always saw how the union tried to **** over the guys constantly. the unions are in the same bed as the employers.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Back in high school we had a couple teachers who did not want to join the teachers union. They ended up getting sued by the union to mandate them to pay dues under the claim that they were recieving the benefits of the unions representation without paying anything into it. Both sides had a pretty good arguement, but I don't think anyone should be forced to join any organization that they don't want to.

I worked for a government run hospital in Chicago years ago. You did not have to join the union, but you did have to pay about 98% of the union dues - it was deducted from your paycheck just like you were a union member. The government employees unions have massive political power in Chicago. That hospital was a mess - about 10% of the staff actually doing the work and another 90% just sitting around.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I was a supervisor for 3 years over union employees; I lost count of how many grievances were filed on me. Out of the 35 union workers only 6 of them worked hard. The rest all complained about everything, dragging their feet with everything they did. Never again will I ever be involved with a union. Basically the only way they could get fired is to commit murder. The stories I could tell about the worthless pos that the unions protect.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    See dross' comment. He has the right of it. Unions are about gathering power by any means available; it's how they gain influence and support.

dross is right.
    I just said what I said to shine the light on the lie that unions actually care about doing good for the worker.
    If they REALLY cared about the worker, they wouldn't FORCE them to join or take part in collective bargaining if they chose not to.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They ARE responsible for decent working conditions and living wages. That's why all the low life scabs want to come in after all the work is done to establish a decent job and suck the marrow out of it. 90% of the labor force in this country is NOT organised.

There's a reason that 90% is crying their eyes out wanting the other 10% of the jobs out there. It's not because they already have a GOOD job.

If unions are so wonderful, why is it any skin off their *ss if a "scab" decides to opt out of collective bargaining and negotiate their own "inferior" wage and benefit package?

If I'm "dumb" enough to choose to work for less (according to what unions say will happen if I negotiate MY own contract), why isn't it my right as a free man?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Agreed and repped.
    At a company I used to work for there was a job I and 2 others had, one of us per shift. I produced so much more then them that there was actually a supervisor meeting about it. They thought I was somehow scamming boxes of product from the other shifts to pad my count. They tore apart 3 days production to count and verify every box. Two months later there was a layoff. Guess who got cut?
    I had a similar experience at the non-union shop that I worked at. I was accused of lying about my production rates. I was a team leader and my supervisors in the office pulled all of my cards (used to track production numbers) and tore apart the line where the door panels met the seating, then went back to the shipping area and tore open about a week's production that was ready to ship. I had some amazing employees that took their jobs seriously and kicked butt on production. The end result was that all of my production was exactly what I reported to the office but was still accused in some fashion that the supervisors couldn't figure out. I quit about a year later due to health reasons but always had a cloud of suspicion over me.

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    My experience with the two over 30 years

Non union, Very low wages 8-11 dollars an hour, 15 to 50 cent raise every 2-3 years (got to beg for it), 6-7 day work week, no benefits, no vacations or time off (unless death in family), unable to establish credit due to not enough income and/or forced to rent in areas the banks consider Red Flag areas for loans, choosing between feeding your family or repairs to your old vehicle to remain a reliable employee.

Union, Living wage 18-25 an hour, dollar raise every year (dependent on 5 year contract) 15-30 cents deducted for pension & apprenticeship program, weekends off, can work weekend if work available, training programs, benefits, lost eye & dental and 6 dollar an hour cut in pay the last 5 years due to healthcare industry greed, generally layoff in winter but sometimes not, can cover basics (house payment, utilities, food) a little extra for emergencies or services needed for auto or home, credit not a problem.

Commonalities, Privacy Violations - Toxicology, Criminal & Credit, Cronyism & Nepotism and sometimes Xenophobia.

Are the unions the culprit? I thought it was Wall street & the Banks? or before that, the Irresponsible Homeowners that could not cover the mortgage, or are they just diversions to keep us busy and divided while they play Jenga with the Constitution? Say hello to Corporate Fascism.

BTW has anyone renewed tags or noticed any New Fees from the BMV yet?

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    The unions are keeping people from jobs. If the guys in them would just learn to go get what they want for themselves we would not have this problem

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My experience with the two over 30 years

Non union, Very low wages 8-11 dollars an hour, 15 to 50 cent raise every 2-3 years (got to beg for it), 6-7 day work week, no benefits, no vacations or time off (unless death in family), unable to establish credit due to not enough income and/or forced to rent in areas the banks consider Red Flag areas for loans, choosing between feeding your family or repairs to your old vehicle to remain a reliable employee.

Union, Living wage 18-25 an hour, dollar raise every year (dependent on 5 year contract) 15-30 cents deducted for pension & apprenticeship program, weekends off, can work weekend if work available, training programs, benefits, lost eye & dental and 6 dollar an hour cut in pay the last 5 years due to healthcare industry greed, generally layoff in winter but sometimes not, can cover basics (house payment, utilities, food) a little extra for emergencies or services needed for auto or home, credit not a problem.

Commonalities, Privacy Violations - Toxicology, Criminal & Credit, Cronyism & Nepotism and sometimes Xenophobia.

Are the unions the culprit? I thought it was Wall street & the Banks? or before that, the Irresponsible Homeowners that could not cover the mortgage, or are they just diversions to keep us busy and divided while they play Jenga with the Constitution? Say hello to Corporate Fascism.

BTW has anyone renewed tags or noticed any New Fees from the BMV yet?

I went from $10.95 an hour to over $20 in less than 12 years at a non union factory. I didn't do it by staying a laborer. I took advantages of opportunities my employer provided. Within 3 months, I became a welder. Within 6 years, I became a maintenance man. It amazes me how many people never attempt to work their way up inside a company. They want to do the same job year after year and somehow their value is so much higher because you've done that for so long. If a monkey can be trained to do your job in 8 hours, 20 years at it ain't worth squat.

I haven't even tried to take advantage of management opportunities either. That could get me a lot more money. I've heard of walmart cashiers making management in just a few years. I've also heard that their managers can make over $50k per year. But it's easier to push the stock boy cart and complain about corporate America keeping you down.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I went from $10.95 an hour to over $20 in less than 12 years at a non union factory. I didn't do it by staying a laborer. I took advantages of opportunities my employer provided. Within 3 months, I became a welder. Within 6 years, I became a maintenance man. It amazes me how many people never attempt to work their way up inside a company. They want to do the same job year after year and somehow their value is so much higher because you've done that for so long. If a monkey can be trained to do your job in 8 hours, 20 years at it ain't worth squat.

I haven't even tried to take advantage of management opportunities either. That could get me a lot more money. I've heard of walmart cashiers making management in just a few years. I've also heard that their managers can make over $50k per year. But it's easier to push the stock boy cart and complain about corporate America keeping you down.

I'd rep you but it won't let me.

About fifteen years ago, I left a position in one city and moved to another without a job. It was just before Christmas, not the best time to get hired in my field. To kill time and make a little money, I took a job as a bike mechanic at Wal Mart - basically a bike assembler. Of course, from time to time they asked me to do other things and the way I did them led them to ask me more about myself, next thing you know in less than a month I was working in the offices rather than the bike cage, making a couple of dollars more an hour than when I started.

In a couple more weeks, I was doing all the hiring and giving the new hire orientations. A member of management was supposed to sign off on all new hires, but they started letting me handle it.

They soon wanted me to apply for the assistant manager program, but I had bigger fish to fry and moved on after a few months when I found something in my field.

At that time, Assistant Managers made about 40K. The store manager made about 60K salary, but the good ones can make up to 200K if they hit all their bonus numbers, which quite a few do.

The store manager at my store had started about ten years before as a stockboy, working the parking lot pushing carts.

But hey, seniority is the shiznit.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I talked to a guy who was a produce manager at a super walmart about 5 years ago or so. He was the produce manager making $50k. If you only want to give minimum wage effort for a minimum wage job, don't be surprised when you are stuck in minimum wage.

Seniority has worked for and against me. If i had stayed a laborer, I would have been permanently laid off and had to rehire. But due to keeping deadbeats in my department, they got to keep day shift while I got bumped for 2 years.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My company had a massive layoff just over 2 years ago. They cut laborers up to 11 years of seniority. They went almost strictly by seniority on the layoffs. There was 1 guy who only had about 5 years of seniority who got to stay because he was 1 of about 2 people who knew how to run his particular machine. I don't know if he volunteered for the job or if he got stuck there but what's important is that he learned the machine well enough to be the full time operator of it. He could have just washed out because that job didn't pay any more than a job a monkey could do. But because he did the job well, he got to stay.

Not long after the initial layoff, his line got shut down and he got laid off. My employer gave all laid off people 1 year recall rights. The company started recalling people after the initial 1 year and between his year layoff so he got called back and many of the people with more seniority than him didn't. If you chose to come back after the year, you had to go through a temp agency and rehire from scratch. So this 5 year guy never lost employment and he now has more seniority than 3-500 people.

A guy from my department got hit with the initial layoff and was out for over a year. He came back in my department as a temp and just rehired on. They gave him top pay because of his skill set. So a guy with 1 day of employment was now making 50 cents more an hour than me with 11 years. I told him to keep that to himself as it would **** a lot of people off. I was happy that he got his full pay back. I'd much rather give up that 50 cents and be employed the whole time with benefits. This guy is good and deserves every penny he gets. I wish some of the deadbeats with more seniority than him would have been laid off and him never laid off.

In the case of my non union factory, they used seniority for the layoffs due to lazy management and HR. They didn't want to hear all the fuss and lawsuits over the layoffs.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We have a really top notch mill operator and I always tell him he should quit and go work somewhere else, because the Union is holding him back.

I don't think he's ever even looked to see what opportunities are out there. pity

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We have a really top notch mill operator and I always tell him he should quit and go work somewhere else, because the Union is holding him back.

I don't think he's ever even looked to see what opportunities are out there. pity

I don't begrudge those folks who are happy doing a job that doesn't require them to constantly try to figure out how to get an advantage, that doesn't constantly remind them of their limitations, that carries little risk and a decent living. I envy people who can be happy doing that.

I'm just not built that way.

What I don't understand is why someone like that thinks they deserve to have their situation continually improve and why they think their position should be safe from someone who is willing risk more, to hustle more, and to take on more responsibilities. Someone who looks around and tries to find ways to make their company better rather than seeing their company as an enemy who they must extract as much as possible from, while giving as little as possible.

It's called a sense of entitlement, and I find it disgusting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Really? Was it MY fault that illegals had houses all around our area, abandoned their houses and dropped the values of all the houses in my neighborhood, cause my homes value to drop by $30,000 and losing every bit of equity I had built up and couldn't get refinanced from my ARM?

The I watched my mortgage payment jump TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT right after my wife lost her job?

This crap started with the Community Reinvestment Act, forcing banks to give loans to those who should NOT have had them.

Some of us "irresponsible" ones might tell you to kiss our....

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Really? Was it MY fault that illegals had houses all around our area, abandoned their houses and dropped the values of all the houses in my neighborhood, cause my homes value to drop by $30,000 and losing every bit of equity I had built up and couldn't get refinanced from my ARM?

The I watched my mortgage payment jump TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT right after my wife lost her job?

This crap started with the Community Reinvestment Act, forcing banks to give loans to those who should NOT have had them.

You don't actually "lose" any money or equity until you sell your home. So this $30k number is probably just speculative, unless you actually did try to sell your home or leverage it. If it did drop by $30k, that's $300/yr less in property taxes.

Secondly, you gambled on an ARM and lost. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, it's just the way things are. You knew the risk going into it.

We bought our home on a 30 year fixed rate knowing that if one of us lost our job, we could still make ends meet. Yes, we "lost" money initially by not doing a 5 year ARM plus the 30 year fixed to avoid PMI, but it was the coservative route.

When financing your primary residence, I don't believe in taking risks.

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified

You need to chill out.......
    1. You missed the point.
    2. I have seen 6 of the 12 houses on my street empty in the last 5 years , one currently and none were illegals so you are not alone.

The illegals are here to drive down wages to what little jobs are left that NAFTA, CAFTA, GATT did not kill, you know "the jobs nobody wants" Gee I wonder if that was why they did not want close the border? When Jeb Bush took over Florida the illegals came out of the woodwork, how do I know? (I was there, I lived there, I seen it) This country is in a Flat Spin and it does not matter which direction the spin is (LEFT or RIGHT) the direction is still DOWN. And yes there is too many Acts, Laws & Bogus policies.

Do something! Withdraw from WTO and Repeal NAFTA, GATT, and CAFTA | Petition2Congress

Had Enough of the Idiocracy. take care

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You don't actually "lose" any money or equity until you sell your home. So this $30k number is probably just speculative, unless you actually did try to sell your home or leverage it. If it did drop by $30k, that's $300/yr less in property taxes.

I appraised for 30K less than we financed it for in 05.

Secondly, you gambled on an ARM and lost. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, it's just the way things are. You knew the risk going into it.

Only way we could get in after the bill from her breast cancer. Plan was to go fixed after 3 years. We were well on our way until we got the house appraised.

Life sucks sometimes, we're dealing with it. Not everyone foreclosed on is irresponsible. Of course I see on the news today that the WH is going to bail out others who are choosing not to pay their mortgages.

Top Bottom