• Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My dad and I went to a show at a VFW?
    In York, PA 25 years ago so I could pickup a Kalamazoo bandsaw. I was meeting a used machinery dealer from up state NY.
    In the lobby was a Rolls Royce Merlin out of a P51 D. My father couldnt stop telling me about that engine. It was a side of him I had never seen.
    It was amazing what talent all of the folks had showing the running minitures.
    It was an enjoyable afternoon.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My dad and I went to a show at a VFW?
    In York, PA 25 years ago so I could pickup a Kalamazoo bandsaw. I was meeting a used machinery dealer from up state NY.
    In the lobby was a Rolls Royce Merlin out of a P51 D. My father couldnt stop telling me about that engine. It was a side of him I had never seen.
    It was amazing what talent all of the folks had showing the running minitures.
    It was an enjoyable afternoon.
    We have a used machinery dealer coming , along with several guys selling tooling & model engine casting kits, Ignitions, and more.
    No RR Merlin, but I believe a guy is bringing an 8000 Hp Nitro hemi he will light up a few times.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So you guys used to be part of the show over by the Casad depot? I’ve been a few times, great show.

Unfortunately I can’t make it this year, Boy Scout Camporee in Kendaltucky that weekend.

Does your group go down to the show in Portland? I’ve never been to that one, always wanted to though.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So you guys used to be part of the show over by the Casad depot? I’ve been a few times, great show.

Unfortunately I can’t make it this year, Boy Scout Camporee in Kendaltucky that weekend.

Does your group go down to the show in Portland? I’ve never been to that one, always wanted to though.
    Ok here we go, we did show at the tractor show out at Jefferson Park couple weeks go, several of our members do show at Portland.
    We will keep showing at the summer tractor show, however the fall show, that was a tractor pull & our model guys wasn't drawing many , so we decided we would do a stand alone show .......N.AM.E.S being dead.....we out grew the building at Jefferson township Park.......it was time to move on. Please send us en email so you know about next year's show.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    The Portland show is great. If you go during the week the swap meet is pretty big. Besides engines there's antiques, tractors, heavy equipment, drag line and bulldozer exhibitions and a tractor pull. Some of the food could be better.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Lee & Peggy Hodgson of Ageless Engines will be bringing there full line of radial engine to the show.
    Here is just one of many engines they will be bringing
    9 Cylinder Engine Specifications

11.25 inch diameter

9.0 inch length ( without carburetor )

1.00 inch bore x 1.125 inch stroke

7.95 cubic inch displacement

Compression ratio 6.7 : 1

Approx. Weight : 9.37 lb. without carburetor, oil tank or club

Fuel - 89 Octane unleaded

Oil - 50 wt - detergent

Pressure oil pump

Fully Pressurized main bearings

Fully lubricated cam drive gear

Dry sump with scavenge pump

Direct drive

4 Cycle - Air-cooled

Naturally aspirated - No supercharger

Rotation: Clockwise viewed from rear

Spark ignition - 1 plug per cylinder :

CDI electronic ignition with distributor Internet_20230910_082608_1.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_2.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_3.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_4.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_5.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_7.jpeg Internet_20230910_082608_8.jpeg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Lee & Peggy Hodgson of Ageless Engines will be bringing there full line of radial engine to the show.
    Here is just one of many engines they will be bringing
    9 Cylinder Engine Specifications

11.25 inch diameter

9.0 inch length ( without carburetor )

7.95 cubic inch displacement

Approx. Weight : 9.37 lb. without carburetor, oil tank or club

Oil - 50 wt - detergent

Pressure oil pump

Direct drive

4 Cycle - Air-cooled

CDI electronic ignition with distributor View attachment 298416 View attachment 298417 View attachment 298418 View attachment 298419 View attachment 298420 View attachment 298421 View attachment 298422

9 Cylinder Pictures

9cyl1.jpg

Front view of the 9 cylinder showing the general arrangement of a radial engine. Single bank of cylinders, intake and exhaust pushrods, overhead valves, exposed rocker arms, spark plugs, ignition harness and the support stand.

9cyl2.jpg

Close up of cylinder fins, valve towers, rocker arms, valve clearance adjustment screws, pushrods, valve tappets, crankcase tappet bushings, cylinder skirt bolts, spark plug and ignition wire.

9cyl3.jpg

Rear view of the cylinders showing the distributor wire attachment, distributor, intake and exhaust pipe attachment to the cylinder head and the intake pipe attachment to the crankcase.

9cyl4.jpg

Rear view of the 9 cylinder with the distributor, carburetor, oil lines and the supply tank and hardware.

9cyl5.jpg

The oil sump between cylinders # 5 and # 6. Oil from the crankcase is scavenged from here and returned to the supply tank. The hex plug allows the oil to be drained from the engine

9cyl6.jpg

The cam is a single steel ring with an intake row and exhaust row of lobes. The internal ring gear is purchased from Boston Gear and pinned to the steel ring.

9cyl7.jpg

A side view of cam showing the lobes for actuation of the intake and exhaust valve tappets.

9cyl8.jpg

The cam intake and exhaust lobes are machined from a single set up on the rotary table using a Woodruff cutter.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    More from agelessengines.com

14 Cylinder Engine Specifications

14cylpic.jpg
    11.25 inch diameter

11.75 inch length ( without carburetor )

12.37 cubic inch displacement

Approx. Weight : 14.0 lb. without carburetor, oil tank or club

Oil - 50 wt - detergent

Pressure oil pump

Direct drive
    4 Cycle - Air-cooled

CDI electronic ignition with distributor
    Gears are available from the Boston Gear Works

Machine tool requirements :

1. Lathe with 9'' diameter swing with 3 & 4 jaw chucks

2. Bridgeport milling machine or equivalent

3. Dividing Head & Rotary Table

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    More of the 14 cylinder engine

14 Cylinder Pictures

14cyl1.jpg

Front view of the 14 cylinder, showing the general arrangement of a double row radial engine. Two banks of 7 cylinders, arranged 180 deg. opposed, intake and exhaust pushrods, overhead valves, exposed rocker arms, spark plugs and the ignition harness.

14cyl2.jpg

Rear view of the cylinders showing the engine rear casting, wire attachment, two distributors, intake and exhaust pipe attachment to the cylinder head, and the support stand.

14cyl3.jpg

The oil sump located behind cylinder # 8. Oil from the crankcase is scavenged from here and returned to the supply tank. The hex nut allows the oil to be drained from the engine. Also shown is the split intake pipe assembly and the packing nut at the crankcase.

14cyl4.jpg

Close up of the distributor cap. Made from delrin, the brass contacts are epoxyed in place.

14cyl5.jpg

Close up of the inside of the distributor cap. Shown are the brass contacts, exposed during machining. This arrangement is common to all the radial engines.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Howell v-four V-4Pix-1.jpg V-4Pix-2.jpg

The engine is 1.95 Cu. In. (32cc) in displacement. Cylinders are 90 degrees apart in order to have the engine
    balanced for vibration free running. The cylinder bore is .875" and the piston stroke is .812". The cylinder banks
    are not staggered and robust knife and fork connecting rods are used. The multi segment built-up crankshaft and
    twin cam shafts are amazingly easy to make. A Hall Effect distributor is driven off the end of one of the cam shafts.
    The distributor body is linked to the throttle arm for spark advance/retard with the throttle setting. The throttle is
    my newest proven 2-jet design with an oiled foam air cleaner.

Pressure lubrication to the rod ends is by an external gear oil pump which feeds oil through the drilled crankshaft.
    There is an oil pressure adjuster and an oil pressure gauge port. The engine is water cooled using my unique magnetic
    drive water pump which has no seals to leak, and a proper looking and effective shop made radiator. The fan blade
    shroud insures that the 5 curved blade fan actually pulls air through the radiator fins and not just circulate the air
    around behind the radiator as would otherwise result without one.

There are ball bearings on the crankshaft, timing gears, camshaft, distributor, rocker arms, water pump, oil pump and
    fan shaft. All external parts are sealed using "O" rings which prevent any oil seepage from the engine. A crankcase
    vent/check valve maintains negative crankcase pressure. A dipstick is provided to monitor the oil level and also an
    easy to get to oil drain plug.

Checking the RPM with a Laser Digital Tachometer on initial test runs show an idle speed of approximately 1,000
    RPM and a top speed of 6,500+ RPM. Both of these are expected to improve after the engine is fully broken-in.

Top Bottom