Indiana Law, can someone "splain" this to me???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I stop at a local BP quite often. You could call me a regular there.

Batesville is in the SE corner of the state, not that far from both OH and KY and right on the interstate. I often hear people from other states ask why they can't buy cold beer at this convenience store. The owner explains it's state law, that you have to go to a package store. Every once in a while, people get angry that he can't sell them cold beer?? It's like they don't believe him??

I am not a drinker, so I don't usually follow the alcohol rules & regs, what is the reasoning behind only allowing package stores to sell cold beer???:dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have to admit it always concerns me when I see someone, who clearly just got off work and is heading home, buying a cold 40 ozer at the c-store then get in their car and drive away.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I have to admit it always concerns me when I see someone, clearly has that just got off work and heading home look, buying a cold 40 ozer at the c-store then get in their car and drive away.

Is there a better way to transport it? Perhaps strapping it to the roof? :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am not a drinker, so I don't usually follow the alcohol rules & regs, what is the reasoning behind only allowing package stores to sell cold beer???:dunno:

Answer your own question, why are laws passed? To build fences or to seek rents.

This law does both.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have to admit it always concerns me when I see someone, clearly has that just got off work and heading home look, buying a cold 40 ozer at the c-store then get in their car and drive away.
    how else would you go about having a 40 after a hard days work?

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    From what I understand is that it's not that they can't, it's just that that store owner chose not to pay the additional fees for that type of license.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Liquor stores pay $10,000's each year for each store to guarantee you can't buy it in the stores. They have a % of sales that go to the lobbyists group to make sure they are kept that unfair advantage. My buddy says if they ever let stores sell cold beer....it will shut down his liquor store. He about died when they let Kroger's and Wal-Mart put hard liquor on the shelf's......where any kid can go grab it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Why? Sometimes I buy a cold drink to take home so I can drink it faster. I'm talking non alcoholic like a coke. I don't drink alcohol anymore.

Still dealing with the "thumper" laws in Indiana. People voting beliefs rather than constitution

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Liquor stores pay $10,000's each year for each store to guarantee you can't buy it in the stores. They have a % of sales that go to the lobbyists group to make sure they are kept that unfair advantage. My buddy says if they ever let stores sell cold beer....it will shut down his liquor store. He about died when they let Kroger's and Wal-Mart put hard liquor on the shelf's......where any kid can go grab it.
    Free market.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And liquor stores can't sell soft drinks cold, either. There have been cases where they were required to move them away from the door in the winter because they were too cold there.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The gas station has an unfair advantage. ;)

We get concerned if the guy opens it and chugs half in line out here. Not if he buys one to take home to dinner. Shows he knows enough to control his habit by only having one for the night. Unless it is for 12 shot chasers. Really the fear is that he gets home fast enough that he doesn't wipe out twelve kids walking home from church.

Which is how we end up with laws in the first place. Preemptive policing is the price we are paying because of this fear.

Top Bottom