• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Between all the exemptions, this bill changes little.

Dogs and Ponies mostly.

Where is our Constitutional Carry? Screw these feel good bills.

Let's see some ROLL BACK of Indiana's draconian laws and taxes.

This tripe does nothing to impress me.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

Dogs and Ponies mostly.

I agree, still find it comical that they want to waste time and money passing stupid bills like this as opposed to ones that matter. kinda like the dumb texting and driving law.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Start cutting all federal funding to schools that do not teach English as the primary language then I will be excited. Yes, I know this is a state bill but I can dream.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Its a step in the right direction, but one step wont cover a mile.

I have no problem with some funding being used to educate LEGAL immigrants in learning the English language, but at the same time, these immigrants need to be footin some of the bill here too. Their education, they need to pay as well.

Likewise, my daughter should not have to be fluent in English and another language (Spanish) to be able to live in Logansport. Sadly being bilingual is almost neccessary anymore!

-MColford

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Start cutting all federal funding to schools that do not teach English as the primary language then I will be excited. Yes, I know this is a state bill but I can dream.

I agree.
    I have a longtime friend who came to this country from Germany in the early 60's at age 14.
    He didn't SPEAK A WORD OF ENGLISH.

He's DEAD SET AGAINST bi-lingual education, and says
    "if they'd had German/English bi-lingual education when I came here, I'd be digging ditches for a living because I would've never learned English well enough".

Instead he went on to be in the US Navy, deployed as a Medic in the US Marine Corps, later got 2 degrees from Indiana University in the 1970's and has done well.
    An asset to this nation.

WHEN HE STARTED SCHOOL HERE AT AGE 14, he was simply enrolled as a freshman in a high school in Kokomo. (though in the end his family moved to Indy and he graduated from a HS there)

Not speaking ANY English he says he failed his tests in the beginning, but within about 6 months he had adjusted and was learning.
    He credits being immersed in English and having to learn it if he expected to function as the KEY.

The ONLY help he had was ONE teacher who had been in Germany in the US Army in WW2 who spoke a little bit of German.
    Nobody else at the school spoke any German.

When I listen to how ADAMANT he is about bi-lingual education being a hindrance to non-English speaking immigrants, and why, I can't come to any other conclusion than believing that IMMERSION in English is the best and quickest way to adapt to living in this country.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    It makes you feel good. That's what makes it a "Feel Good" Nanny-State law. That doesn't mean it is good legislation.

It only has something to do with feelgoodism in your mind.

To those that know dangerous behaviors on our roadways affects others it is reasonable legislation in the real world.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It only has something to do with feelgoodism in your mind.

To those that know dangerous behaviors on our roadways affects others it is reasonable legislation in the real world.

No, really. Its a Feel Good Nanny-State law. Really.

How many hundreds of thousands of text messages have to be sent before one "causes" an accident? How many innocent people have to be harassed to correctly predict one future accident?

I don't believe in punishing people for some slight level of risk. A slight number of gun owners produce negligent discharges, don't you know. This kind of mentality has brought society to this sheepish mentality that it now exhibits.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

How many hundreds of thousands of text messages have to be sent before one "causes" an accident? How many innocent people have to be harassed to correctly predict one future accident?

I don't believe in punishing people for some slight level of risk. A slight number of gun owners produce negligent discharges, don't you know. This kind of mentality has brought society to this sheepish mentality that it now exhibits.

Is an AD a choice one makes before hand?

Driving distracted is a premeditated CHOICE.

Not a "slight level' to those that travel our roadways watching idiots texting and talking on their cell phones and endangering OUR LIVES.
    It was not a "slight level " to me when a woman driving on 65 friday evening drove into my lane twice endangering MY LIFE while playing with her phone.

Distracted driving crashes claimed 5,474 lives and led to 448,000 injuries across the country last year,

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Dogs and Ponies mostly.

While there will never be a repeal of taxes, an English-official language standard necessarily means they don't have to spend money printing everything in multiple languages. If Mickie D's or Denny's wants to spend their own money to do it, fine. But I'm a firm believer of "when in Rome" and this craptastic effort on my dime to justify their assimilation by refusing to make them assimilate just chaps my backside. :xmad: The money will still be spent; of that I have little doubt. But perhaps it can be spent on something slightly more worthwhile. Perhaps.

For those that have been a victim of an out of control texting driver the law isn't dumb at all.

Like the prohibition on drunk driving has stopped drunk-driving crash-related deaths and injuries?

It IS a feel-good law because it doesn't do a damn thing to prevent the crimes. Only provides legal avenues to pursue additional charges for punishment.

Who doesn't already know about the dangers of texting while driving? What makes you think a law is going to make someone change their behavior? If the risk of injury, death, or causing injury or death to someone else isn't enough to make them stop and think about it, why on earth would a law do it? It takes a lot more than a law to overcome the "It won't happen to me" mentality. This law will have no impact on crash incidence due to distracted driving.

Hell, while we're at it, let's pass a law to prohibit drivers from changing their radio stations. Or having kids in the car. You want a distraction? Ain't no bigger one that THAT, lemme tell ya.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Yeah, but you believe it's OK to steal someone else's intellectual property or inject them with a fatal disease. Not sure your opinion is sound enough that it matters. Not a slam. Just think you're too far out on a fringe to have any credibility.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It was not a "slight level " to me when a woman driving on 65 friday evening drove into my lane twice endangering MY LIFE while playing with her phone.

Glad you are still with us. Handing out more lame-@ss traffic tickets wouldn't save your life though. Its just another avenue to tax people. But it feels oh so good.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yeah, but you believe it's OK to steal someone else's intellectual property or inject them with a fatal disease. Not sure your opinion is sound enough that it matters. Not a slam. Just think you're too far out on a fringe to have any credibility.

Oh you must be talking about when you were defending Janet Napolitano and her DHS goons as they shut down websites without due process. Haha, oh I remember that one. You got so mad you blocked me. :(

Does everything that is not "OK" have to be ****ing illegal? Maybe if you want the Feds breathing down your neck for everything imaginable. I hold the position that we have about as big and as powerful a government as we are ever going to need, want, or afford. We don't need your government buddies confiscating websites, hunting down texters, and chasing people around for not practicing safe sex. Any other memorable discussions that you want to include?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    It makes you feel good. That's what makes it a "Feel Good" Nanny-State law. That doesn't mean it is good legislation.

Yes i understand that texting causes accidents, so does changing radio stations especially those that have dvd players built in, eating and drinking while driving can cause accidents as does a lot of other things that can distract drivers so my put with the texting law is this, you cant just ban one thing that distracts drivers when there are doezns of other distractions, ban it all or none. I personally vote for none, not because I want to be able to do it but Im sick of the government telling me what i can and cant do, sounds an awful lot like Communism if you ask me :n00b:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Glad you are still with us. Handing out more lame-@ss traffic tickets wouldn't save your life though. Its just another avenue to tax people. But it feels oh so good.

I would agree there are "lame" tickets. Seat belts tickets for one.
    It has nothing to do with the safe operation of a vehicle.

I just don't agree with you that unsafe operations of a vehicle should not be a ticketable offense.

Those that like to endanger the lives of others like to feel good about themselves too.:D

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I would agree there are "lame" tickets. Seat belts tickets for one.
    It has nothing to do with the safe operation of a vehicle.

I just don't agree with you that unsafe operations of a vehicle should not be a ticketable offense.

Those that like to endanger the lives of others like to feel good about themselves too.:D

How can you safely operate a vehicle when you are thown from the drivers seat or ejected in an accident?

Top Bottom