• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    While I am feeling the inflation pressures just like everyone else, I would like to comment on the question part of your post.

The representatives may be more responsive than we suspect. I just believe they are being forced by the wrong people. It is daily that many lefty, commie, perverse special interest groups are putting everything they have to have the taxpayers pick up the bill for their cause. Conservative people grumble, but lefties stand in their face and demand. Continually.

Saul Alinsky taught that constant, unrelenting badgering will wear down people who actually oppose you. They will eventually give you what you want trying to buy peace. The radicals then double down more.

Train hard men, your enemy is already training to overcome you.
    I've written my rep so many times and have gotten 0 response. He definitely doesn't rep anything but himself. He will get on Facebook and talk about being a constitutionalist and bashing big govt. But he votes for every tax increase and ignore every email I've sent. I thought I lt was me but couple buddies have emailed him too. 0 response too.

• Angry
    Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Many are upset about Indianapolis roads. They are pretty bad. I experienced decades of continual construction in Chicago, years to accomplish very little. In a small scale, I watched the rebuilding of the bypass in Lafayette. Maybe 5 miles, close to 5 years. Hardly any activity, just lots of cones and flashing lights. It was rare to see a dozen men working on that little stretch. They finally opened it with "designer" multicolored streetlights that made the colors of the traffic signals blend in, causing a serious safety hazard. It was almost like it was a contest of the least benefit from the most money.

I am old enough to have watched the construction of the Interstate highway system. The construction sites looked like anthills with men and machines in constant motion, both directions, as far as the eye could see. They built most of 48,000 miles of the largest, most complicated roadway in just a few years. Most of it was in areas that had no roadway. Through the cities, millions of existing properties had to be raised before the roadway construction could begin. It was an amazing event in an amazing time frame.

Indiana collects about $975 Million annually just from Fuel tax. A lot of highway project funds come in from the Federal government. Then some excise taxes get added to the mix. The county taxes fund a lot of roadwork. I do not think the main problem is lack of money, but lack of leadership who is able to get real results for the money.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the issue is we could be much much better. Its starting to feel like we keep raising our taxes. but as long as we don't do as bad as our neighbor to the west we think we got it great.

Sales tax percentage hasn't changed since 2008, and just rises and falls with prices of goods. That's how percentages work. It is a regressive tax, in that poorer customers pay a higher percentage of their income, but it is one that everyone pays regardless of legal status, etc.

Did you know your utility tax is eliminated as of this July? Media probably isn't shoving it down your throat that Republicans repealed a tax, are they?

Both Personal and Business income taxes are lower, percentage wise, than they were 10 years ago.

We aren't nearly as bad as Illinois, but pick any neighbor or, frankly any state, and find one with a lower overall tax burden for a blue collar worker and a sustainable budget. There are more retiree friendly states, but good luck for worker friendly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sales tax percentage hasn't changed since 2008
    You keep mentioning this, but that's not what this thread is talking about. It's a higher gas tax rate, not a higher sales tax rate.
    Did you know your utility tax is eliminated as of this July? Media probably isn't shoving it down your throat that Republicans repealed a tax, are they?
    I had not heard this, so will be interested to see the impact. Honestly I don't know what the current rate is for a utility tax.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Sales tax percentage hasn't changed since 2008, and just rises and falls with prices of goods. That's how percentages work. It is a regressive tax, in that poorer customers pay a higher percentage of their income, but it is one that everyone pays regardless of legal status, etc.

Both Personal and Business income taxes are lower, percentage wise, than they were 10 years ago.

We aren't nearly as bad as Illinois, but pick any neighbor or, frankly any state, and find one with a lower overall tax burden for a blue collar worker and a sustainable budget. There are more retiree friendly states, but good luck for worker friendly.
    Indiana has 2 taxes on the gas thoughm the sales and a excise.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009

And thats the problem. We keep saying we aren't nearly as bad as Illinois. We should be saying we are best in nation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You keep mentioning this, but that's not what this thread is talking about. It's a higher gas tax rate, not a higher sales tax rate.

I keep mentioning it because it's what is really happening vs what you think is happening. Read the links I put in to the actual department of revenue documents. The fixed excise tax has not changed. The 'sales tax' portion is 7%, exactly like sales tax on everything else, however it's 7% of the average price and resets every month.

There is no 'tax rate hike'. The RATE is the exact same. 7%.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And thats the problem. We keep saying we aren't nearly as bad as Illinois. We should be saying we are best in nation.

You're the only one saying it. Like I said, what state is better for the working class *AND* has a sustainable budget? Easy to keep tossing out your one liners, but you ignored that portion. Retirees, there are better states. Workers? Overall tax burden, cost of living vs wages, where's better?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    OK, guess electricity is the only thing I have to worry about, I don’t handle the money but that’s the only true utility we have. Well LP but of course it’s taxed with the bill.

The taxes are baked into your rate, it's not something you've been paying seperately.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    You're the only one saying it. Like I said, what state is better for the working class *AND* has a sustainable budget? Easy to keep tossing out your one liners, but you ignored that portion. Retirees, there are better states. Workers? Overall tax burden, cost of living vs wages, where's better?
    Sustainable budget? We are supposed to be happy that our state govt has over 5 billion in surplus? Of our money? Or that we have 2 taxes on gas? we are supposed to throw the republican party who aways jacks our taxes up a parade when they give us a break on one thing but raise it on another? When was last time our state govt said let's shrink and quit spending so much. Its only grown. Looknhow they redid the automatic tax renewal this year. They wanna make sure that never happens again.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Here’s a tax you guys don’t have to worry about. The county is responsible for maintaining drain tiles and ditches. So every couple years we get a notice saying your property tax will be raised for 3 maybe 4 years on this X number of acres due to the new tile being installed for such and such ditch. Depending witch ditch that particular land drains to. So as soon as your done with one, boom, you get hit with another. You are responsible for any fences they cut through or private roads they cut. Taxed, and you pay for the resulting damages. Plus the tiles and ditch work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sustainable budget? We are supposed to be happy that our state govt has over 5 billion in surplus? Of our money? Or that we have 2 taxes on gas? we are supposed to throw the republican party who aways jacks our taxes up a parade when they give us a break on one thing but raise it on another? When was last time our state govt said let's shrink and quit spending so much. Its only grown. Looknhow they redid the automatic tax renewal this year. They wanna make sure that never happens again.

I'd rather run a surplus and have a nest egg then run a $16 billion debt (Kentucky), $33 billion debt (Ohio), $65 billion (Illinois), etc. Indiana will weather the recession without major cuts in service or having to borrow bonds at the new higher interest rates. Will those states? Do you not understand and put value in the equivalent of an emergency savings fund?

Show me the numbers. When was the last tax rate hike? On what? I've shown you tax cuts. But you won't, no more than you'll address the question of which state is better.

Actually, nevermind. Believe what you like. We both know you're not going to actually get in to the details.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The taxes are baked into your rate, it's not something you've been paying seperately.

I'll be very interested to see how much this decreases the bills. Color me skeptical...

As far as gas tax. Seems as if suspending all Indiana gas taxes until Jan 1 would be the smart thing to do? Use up some of that over taxation budget surplus and most importantly...

...LET US KEEP THE MONEY IN OUR POCKET vs collecting it from us to dribble it back as big brother feels fit?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll be very interested to see how much this decreases the bills. Color me skeptical...

Interested enough to click the link? The percentages are there... :D It's not going to be a significant amount for very many individuals, but will be for industry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interested enough to click the link? The percentages are there... :D It's not going to be a significant amount for very many individuals, but will be for industry.

Thanks for the link reading advice. :)

Reading the bill will tell the real tail on whether this is anything or not, correct?

I mean, they tell us the gas tax is to fix the roads, right? Strangely though, we can't seem to see where this is the truth? Agreed?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I mean, they tell us the gas tax is to fix the roads, right? Strangely though, we can't seem to see where this is the truth, agreed?
    I have no beefs about Indiana roads. Where do you see bad roads in Indiana? Now in democrat cities, that is a story and not funded by the state tax as best I know…

Top Bottom