Indiaana Man Arrested with "Assault Weapon" in NJ airport.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Sales receipt maybe?

I didn't know assault rifles were even legal in NJ. Also, why was he going through security with it? He should have checked it at the baggage claim, shouldn't he?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Sales receipt maybe?

I didn't know assault rifles were even legal in NJ. Also, why was he going through security with it? He should have checked it at the baggage claim, shouldn't he?

You mean assault weapon, correct? And by that nomenclature, you also simply mean rifle?:):

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It makes me wonder if he was planning on declaring the rifle at check in but didn't make it that far. Who knows as the media has never gotten it right.

Not sure why but it seems almost every time I fly I end up in that nasty place. My last time there we were there for 18 hrs because of an ice storm. It is like being in a different country to me.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You mean assault weapon, correct? And by that nomenclature, you also simply mean rifle?:):

I don't get hung up on terminology. I use clips and magazines fairly interchangeably. I have more important things to worry about. Besides if I would have made assault rifle purple it would have been accurate.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The magazines were loaded?!
    He tried to transport in a soft case?!

A Soviet-style AK-47...and three loaded magazine clips...
    :rolleyes: :noway: for Fox59.
    Who knows which is accurate?
    Given the errors in the Fox59 story - I'd bet on the NJ.com report.

It appears he wasn't simply in NJ as part of a connection for travel, so he can't hide behind interstate travel laws at all, ergo, possession alone is enough to send him away.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Why would anyone put themselves in this kind of situation? I mean come on this is really dumb. Surely everyone knows about the heightened state of fear when it comes to weapons and airplanes right? I would of researched every angle of the law before considering taking a weapon through a NJ airport. He's now at the mercy of the NJ courts. Sometimes you just have to wonder what people are thinking. Heck I can't even think of one good reason for ever visiting such a dumpster state anyway.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    He was flying from Chicago to New Jersey and back with an AK? Wow, that's like asking to get arrested. It makes me wonder if that was not exactly what he was trying to do. He flew from Chicago to NJ with it checked and got no grief, so he tried to fly back with it in his carry on bag. That guarantees an arrest.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't get hung up on terminology. I use clips and magazines fairly interchangeably. I have more important things to worry about. Besides if I would have made assault rifle purple it would have been accurate.
    To use the term "assault XXXXX" is to legitimize the term which is nothing more than a made up term to describe a rifle based on its look and scare the uneducated into thinking that it is more dangerous than other rifles. Similarly we attempt to use standard magazine capacity rather that "High Capacity" magazine simply because it holds more than XXX rounds. I'll give you the clip vs magazine though I myself prefer to be correct in even the smaller details when attempting to argue something.

Top Bottom