• Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=138185

Created: 1/11/2008

HAMMOND, IN -- An Indiana woman shoots and kills an intruder breaking into her home, and it's all caught on tape by the 911 call she was making at the time.

It turns out the man had been stalking her and she bought the gun for protection.
    Advertisement

The woman, who lives in a townhouse, had been complaining about her former boyfriend for months.

She had filed repeated complaints, said he slashed her tires and engaged in a confrontation at a Legion Hall.

She said that he warned her it wasn't not over yet.

November 12th, the woman called Hammond police saying he was in her yard trying to get in.

CALLER: "I've been having a lot of problems with him... Please."
    DISPATCHER: "Ok, they're on their way...Did he come in a car?"
    CALLER: "I don't know... He's trying to get in my back door."

As the call continues, the woman pleads with police to hurry as a Hammond dispatcher stays on the line assuring her that officers are on their way.

DISPATCHER: "OK, Can you get to a room with a lock on it?"
    CALLER: "Yes I can."
    DISPATCHER: "OK, I'm going to tell you when it's okay to come out, okay?"

The woman takes refuge in an upstairs bedroom, then eventually in a closet.

CALLER: "He broke through the window again...."
    DISPATCHER: "OK, is he in the house?"
    CALLER: "Yes, I think he is."

Two minutes into the call she tells them she is armed.

DISPATCHER: "Does he normally carry weapons at all?"
    CALLER: "I got one today."
    DISPATCHER: "You got one what?"
    CALLER: "I got a weapon today."
    DISPATCHER: "OK, A gun? You have it... Is it in the room with you?"

The dispatcher informs the arriving officers that the woman is armed; then, about five minutes after the call began, this final exchange:

CALLER: "He's at the door now."
    DISPATCHER: "He's turning the door knob.. okay.. Is that him I hear?"
    CALLER: "Yeah."
    DISPATCHER: "Is there anything you can put.."
    CALLER: "What are you doing??? "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!"..
    DISPATCHER: "Okay.. he's in with her!"
    CALLER CONTINUES: "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! Stop it.. (begging) Please stop it..."

The woman then shot the man.

Police said she will not face charges, because she acted in self defense.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm going to have to show this to some girls I know. People have this stigma attached to guns and for whatever reason think everyone just gets killed by accidental gunshots rather than self defense.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's powerful stuff.

I'd like to see Sarah Brady look this lady straight in the face and explain to her why she should have never had that gun in the first place.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That's powerful stuff.

I'd like to see Sarah Brady look this lady straight in the face and explain to her why she should have never had that gun in the first place.

(old story, but I was reminded of it when I saw a link at the bottom of another one today)

Likely because she "just got lucky" and "could have escalated the situation". (Really? How do you escalate the situation when the person already wants to kill you?)

I'd like to know how the Brady Bunch would address the "just give them what they want" advice in that setting.

Blessings,
    B

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That's powerful stuff.

Or the gun shop calling 4 days after she died to tell her the waiting period is over and she can come pick up her gun.

Last edited:

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    ...just reading the transcript gave me chills!

And now, this particular fool will NEVER threaten/harm anyone...ever again. Very sad it had to be done, but when you get backed into a corner after doing everything you've been told you have to do, what else is there?

I wonder if anyone got her some counseling afterwards; from what I understand, PTSD will sometimes manifest itself in the survivors of violence.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    She sure said a lot of stop before defending herself. *shakes his head*

The moral of the story is...
    The dispatcher informs the arriving officers that the woman is armed; then, about five minutes after the call began, this final exchange:
    you can't count on police to get to you in time... 5+ minutes and she finally had to take it into her own hands.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    That is one powerful video. Glad she was able to do the right thing. I'm glad this story ended up with the right person dead, all to ofen it works out the wrong way.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I send this video to anybody that thinks the police will come in time to save them.

It's an excruciating seven minutes, which actually would be pretty decent response time, but we don't actually know how long it took the police to get there...

one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five...

A cop car at 100 mph can only go 11.7 miles in 7 minutes, without slowing or stopping at all the intersections. What if you're in the city and the cop can only go 50 mph?

How far are you from the nearest cop? How many intersections?

civilwar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Scipio
    Sad to say for the intruder but if someone has broken into my home with me inside it is shoot first, ask questions later. I feel if they broke in with the possiblity of someone being home they are there to inflict harm on me.

BTW, what is the law on shooting intruders these days? Do they still have to be in the dwelling or just on the private property of the individual?

Terry

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Recommend you refer to Chapter 8 of INDIANA HANDGUN LAW by Bryan Ciyou. It seems that current law is better defined for use of deadly force inside your home but somewhat muddled for outside your home. Part of the problem is your fear of "great bodily harm" and the fact that you cannot use deadly force to prevent crimes against property unless you are being threatened with such harm. Very good chapter. Gets into car-jacking, and attacks inside and outside the home.

Top Bottom