• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    A couple years ago, I started clearing out trees to build my house. I kept several of the good logs to give away for firewood. I never could get anybody to show up and I hated to see the wood go to waste. I spoke to several people at my church and one lady told me about a neighbor she had. I split a load and took it to him.

I've been out working on getting all the old tree tops drug out of my woods. Again, I hate to waste it so I started cutting it up into a huge pile. Again, I can't seem to get anybody to show up and haul it off. I drove by guy's house from a few years ago and noticed he didn't have much wood so I called the lady from church to see if he needed wood again. I just hauled 3 truck loads that looked like this.

52AEE67C-317F-49B8-818C-54B4DB9D76F7-550-0000002CA7B9EAE4.jpg

He was out pottering around his woodpile when I got there. He tried helping as much as he could and he commented that he couldn't lift like he used to. I asked how old he was and he said 86, in 5 days he'll be 87. In our brief conversations between 3 trips, I learned that he was in the military between WWII and Korea. He got turned down twice and they finally took him the third time. He had 6 brothers and 5 of the 7 of them were in the military. This guy is still sharp as a tack.

The lady from church had told me before that his only heat source was wood and he didn't have much of anything. He's been renting this house for over 30 years and he lost his wife a little over 2 years ago. He has a grand daughter living with him that isn't all there. The lady told me you can drive by this guys house at night and see the interior light through cracks in the walls.

This guy was extremely grateful and told me many times that he learned to never turn anything down. He also told me that many years ago, he was the guy that went around helping others and now he can't do it any longer. I guess he split all of this wood with an axe up until a year or two ago. Now, someone has brought over a splitter and was going to come back to split his wood for him. Only he didn't wait, he went ahead and split it himself.

Here is his front porch. The entire house looks like this and I bet it hasn't seen a coat of paint in 30 years. This guy is a simple man and I'd be surprised if he's ever had a complaint in his nearly 87 years. I'd take a hundred of these properties with people like him as neighbors before I'd take a single vinyl village nazi as a neighbor.

D5931616-E4A8-43DF-982B-2BA49AFB1649-550-0000002B63FD28CD.jpg

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    That's a great story. I'm always glad to hear of people helping people out as it does not happen much anymore these days. It would be a lot better place if more people would just help their neighbor out. Kudos to you for helping the gentleman out.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I do have some of my own selfish motives for cutting the wood up. I worked so much overtime last year that I got into a rut that when I got home, I did nothing. I mean nothing. Now that I changed jobs, I'm not as physically active and I needed to get out of the rut of doing nothing. I'd be out there cutting this stuff up anyway but into 8' logs and putting it on the burn pile. I got such a big pile of cut wood, I needed to get it out and was having trouble finding people to get it.

It's quite a bit of extra work on my own part but it's worth it to help someone who doesn't expect it and appreciates it. I bet if I only brought him a single bundle you'd buy at a gas station, he would have been just as appreciative.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I drug out some more old dead trees and got started on cutting them up this afternoon. I don't know what these old barkless trees are but they're still solid as a rock. At least I know they're seasoned.:D I think they're red elm. The gray log to the left is a windthrown tree that was still mostly rooted. I cut it down and it was almost gushing water out. It definitely won't be good for firewood this year. I'll probably go ahead and toss it on the burn pile. The one with the stump still on it was an old windthrown tree. It's been uprooted so long that there's barely any dirt left on the stump.

3FB8FE3E-5BCB-4D5A-8430-B3AB147025C4-550-0000003A3E07260B.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Here is his front porch. The entire house looks like this and I bet it hasn't seen a coat of paint in 30 years. This guy is a simple man and I'd be surprised if he's ever had a complaint in his nearly 87 years. I'd take a hundred of these properties with people like him as neighbors before I'd take a single vinyl village nazi as a neighbor.

A-freakin'-men. I've given away lots of firewood to elderly folks I know of, especially ones who were the people who helped others out when they could.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yeah, we would throw in on that project. Not many folks like that left these days.
    I see quite a few here that I think would actually step up. I am in the middle of a similar project I started for a family member, cannot tell you how disappointed in my rather large family I am at this time. Besides me and my dad, one son of two and an uncle have stepped up. It is very disheartening. But it feels great helping someone out with something they didn't have to have done.:rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see quite a few here that I think would actually step up. I am in the middle of a similar project I started for a family member, cannot tell you how disappointed in my rather large family I am at this time. Besides me and my dad, one son of two and an uncle have stepped up. It is very disheartening. But it feels great helping someone out with something they didn't have to have done.:rockwoot:

Damn skippy we would step up if work or family was not an issue. Some caulk and sealing skills could tighten that place up to near livable in a day or so. Porch looks a bit shaky.........;)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I drug out some more old dead trees and got started on cutting them up this afternoon. I don't know what these old barkless trees are but they're still solid as a rock. At least I know they're seasoned.:D I think they're red elm. The gray log to the left is a windthrown tree that was still mostly rooted. I cut it down and it was almost gushing water out. It definitely won't be good for firewood this year. I'll probably go ahead and toss it on the burn pile. The one with the stump still on it was an old windthrown tree. It's been uprooted so long that there's barely any dirt left on the stump.

3FB8FE3E-5BCB-4D5A-8430-B3AB147025C4-550-0000003A3E07260B.jpg

I have the same project going at my house. It's alot of hard work.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    Yep, I hardly have enough time to split what we use, we don't even heat with it, but there's just that something about sitting around a nice warm fire. Gotta get yourself some Osage orange though, some great firewood there once its dried out

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Yep, I hardly have enough time to split what we use, we don't even heat with it, but there's just that something about sitting around a nice warm fire. Gotta get yourself some Osage orange though, some great firewood there once its dried out

I put in a geo. I figured I could cut and split wood now but I wouldn't want to do it in 20 years. I drug the wood out and cut it up. I'm not splitting it for other people. I'd split it for a guy like in the op, but not to give away to those who can do it themselves.

Most people I talk to that want wood seem to want me to cut, split, deliver, and stack it for them. They remind me of my smoking days when someone bums a smoke and then asks for a light. The age old response is do you want me to smoke it for to?

Top Bottom