• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I thought I read when researching the backstop I made that 8” of stone will stop anything I would shoot. But making a vertical wall out of loose stone would have been a challenge.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So this makes me concerned. I shoot ar500 targets backed by a pile of tires covered in dirt, let's say 80 motorcycle tires. Is this enough? I shoot 22 3-4 times a year and occasional handgun just to verify zero or function. No center-fire rifle.
    Well since you asked, pull the tires they have a nasty way of resurfacing, build a nice berm. That way you do not have to worry.

A friend with a skid steer can go a long way to easing your concerns.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I've seen .223 bounce off the ground before... but it was a low enough trajectory that it wasn't going another 1000 yards... Now .50 BMG, I've seen tracers go downrange, hit, and do a huge parabola right over and land behind the crowd at Knob Creek.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a feeling they weren't just target shooting. I'm wondering if they weren't mag dumping or some other out of control shooting.
    If they were shooting at a target 5 feet off the ground that's 60" normal drop for a 5.56 it would not carry 1000yds.
    If their target was that high off the ground which is pretty high it should have hit the ground around 550yds or before. That's why I think there was a whole lot of stupid going on. As in out of control mag dumps.
    1000yds that's a 474" drop or 39.5 feet.
    What's the chances of being hit without an aimed shot at that range?

5.56 55gr
    View attachment 285195
    There's a lot of rolling hills in that part of WI.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just had a similar arrest in Marion Co. Nobody injured, but multiple houses hit. Crim Reck charge resulted. A small stand of trees is not a proper backstop...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Again this point goes back to doing stupid things, and missing a target by shooting over it by 35 feet approximately depending on the distance.

Missing by 35 feet at 1000 yards doesn't take much.

Inexperienced shooter or a flinch, and that 35 foot miss becomes pretty likely.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Missing by 35 feet at 1000 yards doesn't take much.

Inexperienced shooter or a flinch, and that 35 foot miss becomes pretty likely.
    No I'm talking at 25, 50, 100yds. I highly doubt these guys were trying to target shoot more than 100yds if that. If you read the article the man that got shot was approximately 1000yds away from where they were shooting.
    If they were trying to hit a target beside the neighbors house 1000yds away they definitely deserve all the jail time they can get.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Well, yeah.....after all they destroyed 2 acres worth per the forester that had to come out and assess the damages so they could figure out what charges to apply.
    I’m almost expecting those few gun tubers on YouTube to come out and try to defend these guys making them the victims like they do on almost anything is involved with a firearm!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Well, yeah.....after all they destroyed 2 acres worth per the forester that had to come out and assess the damages so they could figure out what charges to apply.
    I remember that thread and was going to ask about the trees. Weren't you or your husband pinned down at one point during deer season while they were shooting into the woods?

Some people are just idiots.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Again this point goes back to doing stupid things, and missing a target by shooting over it by 35 feet approximately depending on the distance.
    They don't need to miss by 35 feet to hit something 1,000 yards away. It only takes about 35 _inches_ or a half-degree of aiming error to achieve that, if the intended target is 100 yards away (or closer).

I want to make sure people realize how easily this can happen. Your post #3 is incorrect. Missing a target 5 feet off the ground, or even 2 feet off the ground, absolutely can result in a bullet traveling 1,000 yards. It doesn't take yahoos aiming 35 feet over the target berm. If anything causes a CF rifle bullet to go even a single METER over a 100 yard target berm, that bullet WILL endanger 1,000 yards over non-hilly terrain if not stopped by an object.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They don't need to miss by 35 feet to hit something 1,000 yards away. It only takes about 35 _inches_ or a half-degree of aiming error to achieve that, if the intended target is 100 yards away (or closer).

Just trying to make sure people realize how easily this can happen. It doesn't take yahoos aiming 35 feet over the target berm. If anything causes a CF rifle bullet to go a single METER over a 100 yard target berm, that bullet WILL fly 1,000 yards if not stopped by an object.
    To hit at 1000yds that's approximately 39MOA if you have your rifle sighted in at 100yds using 175gr SMK in a 308 Winchester. That is way over top of your 100yd target. It isn't some minor mistake unless the person is a complete idiot.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    To hit at 1000yds that's approximately 39MOA if you have your rifle sighted in at 100yds using 175gr SMK in a 308 Winchester. That is way over top of your 100yd target. It isn't some minor mistake unless the person is a complete idiot.
    A 39 inch miss at 100 yards is well within the capability of a once-a-year deer hunter zeroing a new scope/base combo at the range. People need to be aware, and know how to read ballistic tables properly.

Top Bottom