Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Education and the 4 firearms safety rules go a long way avoiding this!

I have a feeling they weren't just target shooting. I'm wondering if they weren't mag dumping or some other out of control shooting.
    If they were shooting at a target 5 feet off the ground that's 60" normal drop for a 5.56 it would not carry 1000yds.
    If their target was that high off the ground which is pretty high it should have hit the ground around 550yds or before. That's why I think there was a whole lot of stupid going on. As in out of control mag dumps.
    1000yds that's a 474" drop or 39.5 feet.
    What's the chances of being hit without an aimed shot at that range?

5.56 55gr
    Screenshot_20230705-021041_Federal.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seem to remember several years ago hearing about a young couple with a new AR-15 shooting into a box of books placed at the end of a hallway inside their apartment.
    The shots went through their target and took out the clothes washer behind it, penetrating a water line.
    Flooding from their apartment to the unit below is what drew attention

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have a feeling they weren't just target shooting. I'm wondering if they weren't mag dumping or some other out of control shooting.
    If they were shooting at a target 5 feet off the ground that's 60" normal drop for a 5.56 it would not carry 1000yds.
    If their target was that high off the ground which is pretty high it should have hit the ground around 550yds or before. That's why I think there was a whole lot of stupid going on. As in out of control mag dumps.

5.56 55gr
    View attachment 285195
    I’d say something like that since there was something like 7 counts mentioned.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I seem to remember several years ago hearing about a young couple with a new AR-15 shooting into a box of books placed at the end of a hallway inside their apartment.
    The shots went through their target and took out the clothes washer behind it, penetrating a water line.
    Find you a woman who is okay with building a backstop in the upstairs hallway for shooting your ARs :laugh:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

5.56 55gr
    Your ballistic reasoning seems a little off. A good long-range centerfire rifle round only has to be elevated about a half-degree above its 100 yard zero (30 to 40 minutes of angle), to hit at 1,000 yards. If it's a really super rainbow trajectory round with a bad BC, figure maybe a full degree for argument's sake, but still, well within the idiot scale of an untrained shooter conducting a mag dump as you mention, or even a negligent discharge or just a really badly mounted and/or adjusted scope.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Strange things can happen. A ricochet at our club about 30 years ago went thru a house window almost a mile away. It prompted us to build berms and create rules regarding target placement.
    Deputy sheriff brought us the bullet during a match, asked "Did someone here lose one of these?" as he held up the bullet.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Your ballistic reasoning seems a little off. A good long-range centerfire rifle round only has to be elevated about a half-degree above its 100 yard zero (30 to 40 minutes of angle), to hit at 1,000 yards. If it's a really super rainbow trajectory round with a bad BC, figure maybe a full degree for argument's sake, but still, well within the idiot scale of an untrained shooter conducting a mag dump as you mention, or even a negligent discharge or just a really badly mounted and/or adjusted scope.
    Again this point goes back to doing stupid things, and missing a target by shooting over it by 35 feet approximately depending on the distance.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Strange things can happen. A ricochet at our club about 30 years ago went thru a house window almost a mile away. It prompted us to build berms and create rules regarding target placement.
    Deputy sheriff brought us the bullet during a match, asked "Did someone here lose one of these?" as he held up the bullet.
    Did they match the Bullet to one of the Members weapons - or did they just assume it was the Gun Club rather that a Drive-by

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Seems like the rather loud booming noise from the gun would draw attention........But I wasn't there...and can prove it....

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Did they match the Bullet to one of the Members weapons - or did they just assume it was the Gun Club rather that a Drive-by
    I’d say they had ample probably cause or there wouldn’t have been an arrest. I get it none of us like gun guys to get himmed up but there are some stupid amount us. Anyone that instructs classrooms of folks spend a lot of time undoing bad info and hearsay (usually given by that relative that ment well but was ignorant and rehashed a rumor he was sold as gospel in 1970 in boot camp)

Not trying to be mean but with some things I have seen at public ranges it amazes me it’s not more of an issue thank God!

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    A few years ago my truck was shot 3 times (found a 7.62 FMJ inside my truck) and my garage was hit 5 times over 3 occasions. I lived in a 10 acre woods I had 5 acres and my neighbor had 5 acres, he moved out his house was vacant. First 2 times no one was home I came home and found the holes. I went over to his house no one was there so I had a police report made. Third time I came home got some meat out of the freezer in the garage went in the house and heard the gun shots. I went to my neighbors drive ( both of our drives was about 100 yards long) and called the police. Cops showed up and found his son and a buddy shooting a AK into a old electric range as a backstop. My house was about 80 yards through the woods from his target.

After a angry call to the neighbor (finally got his number from police report) he decided to pay for the damages.
    Oh and on the day i finally caught him I went back to check my property and my garage was hit 2 more times one went through the wall right above the freezer i was just at about 10 minutes before he started shooting.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    So this makes me concerned. I shoot ar500 targets backed by a pile of tires covered in dirt, let's say 80 motorcycle tires. Is this enough? I shoot 22 3-4 times a year and occasional handgun just to verify zero or function. No center-fire rifle.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds like the idiots I have living far too close to me. I've called the sheriffs dept, who showed up but did nothing.

Top Bottom