I'm thinking of clearing out the gun safes a bit, again. Anyone else do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve tried and tried to whittle down my collection but every time I think of all the fun I’ve had shooting the weapons I lovingly wipe the weapon down and put it back in the safe. Anyone else suffer this phenomenon? :dunno:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do this?
    No

Reactions: Mij

Qwerty357

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2023
    Pittsboro
    Whoops. Sorry gents. Still learning the rules.

Yeah It’s winter that gets me. I keep busy most year and am happy with what I have. Then my seasonal work slows and I end up looking at guns and have to add to the collection each winter.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Whoops. Sorry gents. Still learning the rules.

Yeah It’s winter that gets me. I keep busy most year and am happy with what I have. Then my seasonal work slows and I end up looking at guns and have to add to the collection each winter.
    Cool, glad you only got a spanking, (that’s an assumption) and you take it well and carry on.

Got one or five myself, took a while to catch on. I’m a slow learner. :thumbsup:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do this?
    Do you really have every role covered?
    Do you have anything big enough that it needs parked in the garage?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Now days, as I can see retirement down the road. When I get the "itch" for a any given gun. I have to look at the price of the ammo in determining if I get it. I am itching now for a Winchester 94 in 32WS, but the ammo is beyond ridiculous in price. I also want a Colt 1860 2nd generation BP in 44. That seems more logical ammo price wise than the 32WS. Both would just be for plinking. I guess my point is for me anyway on keeping or selling is the ammo price for whatever I have. Just my :twocents:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I tend to buy/sell a lot. More so with my camera gear, than with guns, but the same principle applies. A while back, I bought a Kahr CM9. I really liked the DAO only, long, smooth trigger pull. Which made me buy a .38, which made me buy a .357, which made my buy a much nicer.38. The only gun I've ever sold that I REALLY regret selling was a a 3" Rossi 720 .44 special in stainless steel. I bought it used, and it had the best trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. The only gun I've ever bought twice is a .22LR Browning BuckMark 5.5". I had a scope on the first one. Still considering the same for the new one.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Just spent $200 at Bravo Company on a spare AR bolt, firing pins, cam pin and Pat Rogers EAG training videos. It is fun being retired and indulging in my hobbies.

Next planned purchase will be an Arrow 2m/440cm antenna for my amateur radio hobby. Then $100 on bike parts for a Trek comfort bike that I am restoring as a gift for a friend.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Anyone else do this?
    My wife says I love the "hunt" more than the actual range time. :dunno:
    She could be right. :laugh:
    I will have had 3-4 of the same gun, "just b/c."

For literally the past year I have been trying to get the # of guns under XXX,.
    3 yrs ago, I could keep it under XX.
    5 yrs ago, I could keep it under X. :lmfao:

I keep trying to settle on just "keepers."
    Not working out too well for me.
    Something I've had 3-5 times before comes along for a good price, and there I go again.

As an example, I've had dozens of .22LR revolvers.
    At least 3 times now I have cut back to only one (Dan Wesson 8", 54 oz), b/c no other revolver works better in my hands at 21' w/o an optic.
    Then I wake up one day and will have 4. :ugh:.
    Only have 2 presently but almost bought another from the Classifieds this week. :wallbash:

I have a bolt & semi .22LR rifle and don't need anything more & thought about selling the semi a few months ago.
    2 weeks ago I bought a beautiful Ruger 10/22 I didn't need, "just because."
    And, there was 3 other rifles I took a serious look at in the past week or two. :scratch:

My wife is right, I do love, "the hunt."
    Below is a handful of these revolvers.

Dan Wesson (bought on INGO).
    5.18.2022 pic of Dan Wesson.jpg

Heritage Rough Rider 16" (most fun & accuate "value" revolver)
    pic at range 5.12.2023.jpg

Ruger Hunter Single Action (really wish I'd kept this now, but I do hate SA, haha!)
    Very accurate!
    pic with scope & grip comparison.jpg

Taurus Tracker
    pic left side.jpg

Ruger Bearcat S/A
    right side.jpg

Ruger GP100
    Left side.JPG

Ruger S/A 10 rd
    right side full view.jpg

Uberti S/A
    left side.png

SW 17-4
    left side in box.png

SW 617 4" (bought recently to join the Dan Wesson temporarily)
    pic at range left side.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like Winamac, retirement is coming at me fast. I have a lot to do in the next 10 months or so to get myself ready.

As far as buying firearms, I am effectively done. I don't see myself buying anything in retirement.

What I have is sufficient to see me to the end. I don't plan on selling anything at this point since I am down to just a few, but I may at some point.

Top Bottom