I'm thinking of clearing out the gun safes a bit, again. Anyone else do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    That's exactly why I have 4 up for sale. The family has not bought into the hobby as I'd hoped. Having enough to arm them is now an exercise in futility. I'm still going to have all bases covered for myself and the family but I now have realistic expectations of needs vs wants.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am essentially "retired" from buying firearms. I think about changing some of what I have but when I see the current prices, I stop. I bought my striker fired handguns when they were in the $300+ range. Now that everything seems to be in the $500+ range, I'm not interested.

I have thought about buying a Ruger MKIV and selling my Taurus TX22C but it shouldn't be hard to talk myself out of it. Unless I can do a break even deal. :)

I'm not too many years out from retirement(hopefully) and am not yet financially sound enough so my focus has shifted from consumption to conservation.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I don't enjoy shooting it, I don't keep it, is my motto. Every gun fills a "Role" for me, the switch over from Irons to Red Dots during COVID-19 was probably the biggest change up to my "inventory" over the course of my life TBH.

The only firearm I don't really shoot is my LWRC, but I don't have very many opportunities to actually shoot it past 25 yards so it does not get brought out often unfortunately, but I will never let that rifle go. I will admit my 1911 shooting has slowed down due to the astronomical price of 45ACP, I get there is literally double the lead , but not double the cost.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've been in upgrade mode lately, selling off a few things to fund their upgrades. I've also been liquidating some excess bolt guns in favor of adding to my semi auto rifle collection.

I've had a few weak moments where I was tempted to sell off some of my mil-surp collection that I haven't shot much recently to speed up the upgrade process but the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to replace them for remotely reasonable prices always stops me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been in upgrade mode lately, selling off a few things to fund their upgrades. I've also been liquidating some excess bolt guns in favor of adding to my semi auto rifle collection.

I've had a few weak moments where I was tempted to sell off some of my mil-surp collection that I haven't shot much recently to speed up the upgrade process but the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to replace them for remotely reasonable prices always stops me.
    I did the upgrade mode about 3 years ago. Took some of my firearms and did what I wanted to; add red dots, aftermarket triggers, etc.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have been considering letting a few go. Still on the fence with it. What I have been considering is getting rid of some duplicate platforms (Think AR's) and buying some cool accessories to outfit my other guns. I almost hate to get rid of guns, as most of them do appreciate over time, where optics and other accessories tend to outdate (keymod rails) come to mind. The bad thing about turning loose of AR's is if some legislation passes, I would never be able to get them at the prices I got mine for. Hence why I am on the fence with it. I do have at least one Glock I would turn loose of. Over the years I have pretty much gotten rid of everything I didn't want. Lately I have been stocking up on ammo here and there as prices have come down some. It may get even cheaper yet in our Brandon economy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I did the upgrade mode about 3 years ago. Took some of my firearms and did what I wanted to; add red dots, aftermarket triggers, etc.
    I was thinking more about upgrading the firearms themselves to new and improved models but now that you mention it, I've been doing the parts/accessory upgrades as well.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Don't sell the Mil-surp collection. I had a few nice ones that I sold off over 10 years ago, they have all gone up in value. Sold for the reason of not shooting them and clearing out for space. At the time it was kind of fun, I did not consider that I may actually want some of those guns back. Now I cannot justify the price of them. I am into more modern day tactical than anything, so that's what I have and am attracted to. I also like my older Smith's as that is what I grew up shooting.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I said I'd never put a red dot on my 1911, but I am going to do it. Otherwise, my favorite pistol to shoot just sits in the safe because at my age, iron sights don't work for me.
    I’m in your camp on the RDS issue. My 2 2011’s have DPP’s on them and I shoot them the best. I do own CM’s last 1911 build but it will never get a RDS installed. He didn’t have it built that way.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Don't sell the Mil-surp collection. I had a few nice ones that I sold off over 10 years ago, they have all gone up in value. Sold for the reason of not shooting them and clearing out for space. At the time it was kind of fun, I did not consider that I may actually want some of those guns back. Now I cannot justify the price of them. I am into more modern day tactical than anything, so that's what I have and am attracted to. I also like my older Smith's as that is what I grew up shooting.
    Yes, that's what stops me. I love modern bolt guns and shoot them more but they are far more replaceable so they've been going on the chopping block. I've yet to sell a bolt gun that wasn't a mil-surp, that I've missed enough to look for a replacement.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    What is this "too many guns" thing you mention?.......If I had my way I'd own one of each, but my budget, and employment status has put a damper on acquisitions.....As such, I currently have guns that each fill a niche, and have only two guns that I would trade...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rarely sell.
    Usually it's a gift.
    Like others have said I've been upgrading what I have.
    If something is on sale that is a good deal, and on my list I'll grab it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I've only been doing the hobby for 6 yrs (after a fling in my 20s & early 30s), but I'm getting to the same place about "every role filled with current..."

In retirement, the days of 2-300 round range sessions with larger calibers are dead to me now. :spend:
    Thank you Covid & ruling political party for economy going & headed "to-hell-in-a-handbasket."
    I have kept two CZs (pics below) & a SW 38 DAO revolver (w/sentimental value), that I can't let go of yet.

I identify with your statement: "Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again."
    Literally, a half-dozen of some guns. :dunno:
    I enjoy, "the hunt." :coffee:
    It would be accurate to say, I simply "rent" (most) guns.

That said, even though I've been AGAIN trying to trim the safe, I have a weakness for those "special somethings" that come along & this has been a stellar month for such. :ingo:
    That includes three .22LRs that are more accurate than anything else I've previously owned. :wow:
    Keepers. :rockwoot:
    I am selling 4 guns when I get back from vacation b/c the safe is simply out of money. :lmfao:
    I had to do a quick 9mm ammo buy yesterday & had to take $100 from the "vacation" money.
    The wife doesn't know yet, haha!
    There might not be a 50th wedding Anniversary. :lol2:
    Taking a couple of Browning Buckmarks to the range today to a final decision for a parting goodbye to one of them. :crying:
    Or not. :wallbash:

CZ Rami bought here all "liquored up" by the Wizard from the previous owner. :ingo:
    View attachment 289313
    View attachment 289316

CZ Rami bought here that I had the Wizard upgrade mechanically & Allen Cerakoted Tungsten Grey. :rockwoot:
    View attachment 289314
    View attachment 289318
    I was reading through this thread thinking I’d respond “I’m pretty content right now”, which has never happened before, and then I read your post “Wizardized Rami”….

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I buy and sell when my collecting changes direction, its fun owning, shooting and learning about guns I have never owned. my latest craze was 16 ga shotguns, now have sold off those I don`t shoot trap with. not sure of what my next craze will be yet.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Currently in that mode but for a different reason. I donated a safe so I either needed to buy another or cut down inventory to what will fit in one safe. In the process of the cut down now.

Top Bottom