• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i dont know anything about digital cameras so i need some advice. im looking for a digital camera no more than $150. it is for strictly taking pictures. i want one that takes the picture as soon as you push the button i dont like the ones that take a pause after you push the capture button.

what brands are good? should i got with the one with the most mega pixels? i plan on buying on ebay.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    i dont know anything about digital cameras so i need some advice. im looking for a digital camera no more than $150. it is for strictly taking pictures. i want one that takes the picture as soon as you push the button i dont like the ones that take a pause after you push the capture button.

what brands are good? should i got with the one with the most mega pixels? i plan on buying on ebay.

Shutter lag (the pause after pushing the button) is usually inherent in the lower cost cameras. It has to do with processing the autofocus and other info. I am not up on the most recent cameras, but in order to take good sports pics (in other words, very low shutter lag), I had to go far past $150 a couple of years ago. Hopefully, that has improved. In reading comments about cameras with attributes like "quick focus", users indicate that they aren't very quick.

Since the glass is always the most important thing in taking a picture, my friend who is a professional photographer carries any Panasonic with a Leica lens ... several are around the $150 range. he LOVES them!!! He does like the non-touch screen better than the touch screen.

I'll let others weigh-in on the mega-pixels. I have found that unless I crop the hell out of a pic, I don't need huge pixels. I don't print many 16"x20" prints. Megapixels give you the ability to either crop down to a fraction of the original picture and keep detail or to print original pics in super-sizes. My camera is 7 MP and it is more than I have needed. It looks like most current cameras are over 10 MP, so that becomes a moot point.

EDIT: After some research, it looks like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 is the model that fits your budget (new). The 3" LCD is a nice large size. The 24mm wide-angle will be useful in close situations. I've run into situations in which I wished I had a 24. The user-comments indicate it does not have a super-quick shutter response. I suspect it is as good an any other $150 camera ... perhaps better than most ... but not great.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DaveL pretty much nailed it.

On your budget, you're going to have a very hard time not having shutter lag.

Best advice: Go to as many electronics stores / sections as you can and pester the salesman to death.

-J-

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Nikon and canon both make some decent point-and-shoot models in that price range.

I would suggest as Jared already did, go into a store (best buy, fry's,etc.) and just see what you like. Write down model numbers and then go home and check amazon and eBay. Sometimes if the one you like is cheaper in-store due to a sale, you'll come out a winner.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Also, don't let the camera's resolution (megapixels) sway your decision too much. Budget priced cameras typically tend to have somewhat sluggish shutter and image processing speeds.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    everybody has given great advice to this point. Go to the store try them out and get the one you like. Megapixels are not the end all be all for digital cameras. Anything over 5 will have enough resolution to print 8X10 Pictures.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    My current camera is a Cannon Power Shot 1300is, you can buy them for 125-150. It is very small takes great pictures on the auto setting our you can change things if you want and there is no shutter lag, Check them out.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Check Adorama Camera on line. They have refurbished models that are excellent. I have used them for years and have never been disappointed. Trying out the different ones at a brick and mortar store is critical so you know what you like.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a Nikon Coolpix in the $100 dollar range. It is really crappy. Pictures are not that good and the lag is horrible. It's my work camera so it fits my needs but trying to use it to get a picture of the kids or the puppy is really lousy. I was told that cameras that use their own rechargeable battery are better than ones that use AA as far as lag goes.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I have a Nikon Coolpix in the $100 dollar range. It is really crappy. Pictures are not that good and the lag is horrible. It's my work camera so it fits my needs but trying to use it to get a picture of the kids or the puppy is really lousy. I was told that cameras that use their own rechargeable battery are better than ones that use AA as far as lag goes.

have you tried this one with any kind of close up pics. ive seen a few people that say this is what they use on close up pics for the classifieds on cmp forum. i was going to buy one so i would appreciate hearing if you have or not.

Top Bottom