• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well guys, it's been a while in the making, but I figured I'll spill the beans now that the time is approaching where I'm going to be extremely busy etc.

I've volunteered to do a 6 month deployment (DoD civilian) to Afghanistan for field expedient support of our Special Forces Soldiers. I started training 2 weeks ago, and will continue training for a couple more months before deployment.

You will probably see several other "related posts" now that I've spilled the beans.

Some posts you will be seeing:
    A review on the Sig 516 rifles that we used in training.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/159963-review_sig_516_rifle.html
    A review on the guys that did our hand-to-hand combat, range training, and quals.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...al_evolutions_morris_dynamics_evansville.html

Anything else I see fit.

So far we've completed the hand-to-hand combat training and firearms training.

Our firearms training class ranged from 1 guy that had never shot a gun in his life, 1 that had only shot a 22 once upon a time, all the way to myself (pretty experienced), 1 Green Beret (just came home from Afghanistan and chose to go contractor instead of re-up), 2 Rangers, several other average military guys, and several guys in our program that have already been down-range.

Out of all of those, I was pretty impressed with myself on the range.

The one handgun day my supervisor (16 yrs combined military experience and gun enthusiast) and a few other guys like him were there. We had a "draw and fire" speed competition on some knock-down poppers. I came out on top of all of them (including the SF soldiers). The next day we qualified, I was the highest qualifier with 169 of 176 possible points in handgun.

Rifle, I don't recall my exact score or placing in qualification but due to a MAJOR failure of the Sig 516 rifle I had just prior to qualification my replacement was hitting 10" high at 50 meters and I couldn't tell until we moved up to the 25 meter line. I still qualified "near" the middle of the group even though all my 50 meter shots were high. Had I not had that issue I likely would have topped out the group in rifle quals as well because you could clearly see a beautiful group 10" high where I was shooting at 50.

The surprising thing was that the guy that had never shot before actually did quite well, easily in the top 70% of the class. There were a few guys that "talked the talk" before the class but couldn't "walk the walk". And a few very modest guys that didn't do any talking, they just let the shooting speak for itself. There were a few people I thought I had pegged as non-shooting types that actually did quite well.

I'll keep this thread updated as we go along, but the next month of training isn't going to be nearly as fun or exciting. Just basic CAD, machining, welding, construction, electrical etc training so that we can support our guys when we're over there. I don't expect that training to be very difficult because I have experience in all of those areas.

After that there will be more fun involved, which includes a full 3 weeks of armorer's training at Crane Small Arms. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The surprising thing was that the guy that had never shot before actually did quite well, easily in the top 70% of the class.

Not so surprising. When you get decent training without first having to unlearn a bunch of entrenched bad habits, you'll usually do pretty well from the outset. That goes for just about any field.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sounds interesting.

So what exactly does "field expedient support of our Special Forces Soldiers" mean?
    Well, pretty much I'm given a fully equipped machine shop, repair shop, fab shop, etc, and if our SOF guys have a mission requirement that either #1 cannot be resolved through traditional channels, or #2 cannot be resolved through those channels in a manner expedient enough to meet their needs, they can come to us to get it done.

We are essentially 2 man teams of "do it all no matter what it is". We've been told that when we're there, there is no such thing as the answer "no". We WILL find a way to get it done if it is a mission requirement.

An example is when one SOF unit needed to hike into an area over a mountain to gain the element of surprise the M2 and MK19 were too heavy to man-carry in. The team guys used 2 old bicycles to make a cart for them to carry the M2 and MK19 on. The cart was designed, approved, and built within 2 days. There would have otherwise been no possible way for them to take those weapons with them, but with the team there they were able to get a solution within 2 days (plenty of time before their mission).

Other coalition forces have seen how well this program works and they too are starting to develop their own programs similar to it. One in particular is the Australians. I know that some high-ups in the Australian military were here within the last week to figure out from my supervisor how the program is run on the higher level.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This all sounds interesting and I wish you well...Not so sure how much information should be divuldged on an internet forum though.IMO

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This all sounds interesting and I wish you well...Not so sure how much information should be divuldged on an internet forum though.IMO
    Duly noted, I'm in full compliance with OPSEC.

Nobody knows who, when, where, and I've only given a vague description of what I will be doing there. I don't plan to get too specific on anything that is critical to OPSEC.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If you currently work at NSWC Crane, and you have hands-on skills outside of CAD then they are always looking for more people. CAD alone isn't going to cut it because you're pretty much a "one-man show".

I have minor experience with a mill, lathe and welder...but I don't work for NSWC Crane.

Plus, I would probably have the **** beat out of me for working to slow...I can make stuff...just takes a while.:D

Top Bottom