I'm flying to AZ.....and I'm bringing my gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    A few weeks ago, I started a thread asking if anyone had any experience checking a firearm with baggage in Midway or O'Hare. The only responses I got were...."I stay as far away from Chicago as possible." Point well taken:). I would too if I didn't live on the border. Anyway, through much research, I finally got the confidnce to proceed with the plan. I will be departing from Midway Airport tommorow, headed to Phoenix. I have followed all TSA and Southwest Airlines regulations and guidelines. I have had a few skeptics in my family because of all the recent terrorist clamour. I will report back when I arrive in AZ. I'm hoping that my experience will help others that may find themselves in a similar situation.:ingo:

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    A few weeks ago, I started a thread asking if anyone had any experience checking a firearm with baggage in Midway or O'Hare. The only responses I got were...."I stay as far away from Chicago as possible." Point well taken:). I would too if I didn't live on the border. Anyway, through much research, I finally got the confidnce to proceed with the plan. I will be departing from Midway Airport tommorow, headed to Phoenix. I have followed all TSA and Southwest Airlines regulations and guidelines. I have had a few skeptics in my family because of all the recent terrorist clamour. I will report back when I arrive in AZ. I'm hoping that my experience will help others that may find themselves in a similar situation.:ingo:

Those that do it all the time through O'Hare say follow the TSA rules and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,
    AB

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Those that do it all the time through O'Hare say follow the TSA rules and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,
    AB

Thanks! I have heard alot of positive posts on the subject. It's just so hard to find all the applicable info in one place. The biggest thing I was looking into is all the problems with transporting in IL in general. Even though the Gun Owners Protection Act will be on my side, one still must fear Crook County and their wacked out beaurcracy.:runaway:

YOu should be fine, just dont start yelling Allah Akbar....

Durka durka!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I would be one who has flown in and out of both O'Hare and Midway without any trouble.

Buckaroo

Excellent! I was hoping to find someone who had this under their belt! Thanks!:yesway:

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Just don't open you laptop and have the following file play while on the play.
    http://vault.theartofwarfare.net/AMP/TMP/countdown.swf
    :D

I made sure to make that my new screen saver:cool:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I made sure to make that my new screen saver:cool:

Don't worry I already sent an email to [STRIKE]white[/STRIKE]blackhouse @ flag to report you. I got the auto reply of thank you for ranting out your fellow citizens and was told the IL state police will be on the look out for you as a possible terrorist since you are NOT muslim and NOT on the no fly list. :laugh:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Well, everthing went great. I was suprised how friendly the staff was. The 2 TSA guys that checked through my case were very cool. One of them saw my LCP and started asking me how I liked it etc.....then it turnd into him talking about how he was considering moving to IN because he was tired of IL politics and gun laws.......I told him that he is welcome in IN. Anyway, an overall pleasant experience.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    This is good to know I have a friend that lives out there, when I vist I know Im safe. What all did you have to do if I may ask?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    TSA Regulations

Hope this helps.

Office of Security
    U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    Arlington, Virginia 22202

January 28, 2005

Reminder to Travelers of Requirements for Transporting Firearms,
    Firearm Parts and Ammunition on Commercial Aircraft

I. Passengers are prohibited from carrying firearms, firearm parts and ammunition

Federal regulations administered by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) prohibit the carriage of firearms and guns, as well as parts of firearms and guns (such as magazines or clips, bolts, firing pins, and other components), in the traveler’s possession or in carry-on luggage on commercial aircraft.

Ammunition also is NOT allowed as a carry-on item. Carrying even a single round of ammunition through airport security checkpoints is a violation of regulations.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers (LEOs) who are authorized to fly armed by meeting the requirements of 49 CFR § 1544.219.

TSA regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and imposition of civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation. In the case of violations by government employees, TSA may also forward the matter to the employee’s agency. In the case of violations by military personnel related to the performance of military duties, TSA will forward an Enforcement Investigative Report to the service member’s command for appropriate action.

II. Checked-baggage requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition

All persons carrying firearms and ammunition in checked baggage, including LEOs, must comply with the provisions of 49 CFR § 1540.111. Following is a summary of key requirements of this section and other regulatory provisions.

• All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process. Travelers with firearms should check-in at the ticket counter and not use electronic check-in (e.g., kiosks or the Internet). Electronic check-in will not provide adequate compliance with the requirement to declare firearms to the air carrier and will expose the traveler to greater potential for violation and resulting civil or criminal enforcement action.

• All declared firearms must be unloaded and transported in a locked hard-sided container. While some firearm “parts” are not within the broad definition of the term “firearm,” travelers are advised to place all firearm parts in a locked hard-sided container to avoid violations.

• Access to the declared firearm must be restricted, with only the passenger possessing the container combination or key to the lock. During the screening process, TSA may notify the passenger that the hard-sided container must be opened for inspection. In this event, it is preferred that the passenger turn over the key or combination to the screener. If the combination is sensitive, the passenger may unlock the lock, but TSA personnel must open the container.

• Any ammunition transported must be placed in checked baggage and securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

• The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm as long as it is properly packed as described above.

• It is also recommended that the ammunition package in checked baggage be stabilized, either by taping it to the interior wall of the bag, or by use of packing material or other means to ensure the ammunition package does not move about the interior of the bag during transportation.

• Black powder, including Pyrodex, and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted on board aircraft, either as accessible property or in checked baggage.

Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Additional information about the carriage of firearms, firearm parts and ammunition, as well as other air travel tips, can be found at TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security or by contacting the TSA Contact Center toll- free at 1-866-289-9673 or by email at TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    If you get a chance go to Ben Avery and Scottsdale gun club and shoot. Ben Avery is the best outdoor range and Scottsdale gun club is the best indoor range ive ever been to.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    This is good to know I have a friend that lives out there, when I vist I know Im safe. What all did you have to do if I may ask?

For the flight, I made sure I followed all the TSA and Southwest packing requirements. First, you must make sure that you have a decent quality case that will offer adequate protection and is capable of being locked. I used a Pelican 1510 case and two Master locks. Aside from that, you just pack it like you were passing through IL anyway....Unloaded, ammo seperate, locked case, etc. I just transported an LCP with two mags, a pocket holster, and 20 rounds of defense ammo. I was out there for a wedding and I knew I wouldn't have time to recreational shoot, so I brought the bare essentials. I used the OEM gun lock and zipped the pistol in its stock foam case. Ammo stayed in a factory box and was zipped up in another small foam case. I threw the unloaded magazines in my holster and zipped that in a seperate partition within my Peli. I made sure that there was plenty of padding to secure everything. I used two locks on the case and put one key in my carry-on backpack and another key on my key chain.

Leaving Midway was a breeze. Make sure you check with your individual airline and airports before you fly. They all may have slightly different rules and procedures in relation with checking firearms. I flew Southwest. I went to a baggage check station on the inside of the airport (you cannot use curbside with a firearm) and immediately informed the attendent that I was checking two bags and one was a firearm. I filled out two forms that asked for name, address, and phone#. Then my signature confirming that I followed all the TSA and Southwest guidlines. I then walked over two a "private" TSA bag screener. He had me open the case. He asked a few questions, which I answered knowledgeably. He visually inspected the contents as well as ran some "trace swabs" over the exterior of the case. Once he was satisified, he signed my declaration form, placed it inside the case, and had me lock it back up. My firearm then joined the rest of the checked baggage, and met me on the conveyor with my other luggage upon arrival.

The way back was a bit different. Same airline, different airport. I departed form Tucson AZ Airport. I checked my baggage the same as Midway, filled out the same forms, but that was it. She sent it on through without a private TSA inspection. This concerned me because I have the only key and my firearm case had not been opened and inspected yet. She assured me that it would be fine and if the TSA needed to get in the case, they would call me and page me. I was admitadely a bit nervous, but said okay and moved on. Sure enough, the case came out with my baggage upon arrival in Chicago. They had taped the signed inspection card onto the outside of my Pelican. This made me a bit angry. I didn't want to publically announce that I had a gun in my luggage. I was not suprised though because I had heard of others having similar experiences.

Overall, a pretty good experience. I was able to travel to Tucson for 4 days. Out of the 96 hours, I was only rendered unarmed for around 10 hours. :) I hope this has helped a few of you who have thought about flying with a firearm but have no experience. I did alot of research and it took alot for me to find detailed personal accounts. I figured I would add to the library. Just remember, always check with every sector of authority before doing anything. The more information you have, the less likely you will be hindered be the powers that be. And if you are, your knowledge will serve as a great weapon in your defense.:patriot:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If you get a chance go to Ben Avery and Scottsdale gun club and shoot. Ben Avery is the best outdoor range and Scottsdale gun club is the best indoor range ive ever been to.

Unfortunately, I had more business than pleasure on this trip. I get out to AZ every now and then though and will definitely check them out when I get some rec time.:yesway:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    So how were you legally able to get it into IL in the first place? Does the Federal law for safe passage apply to a trip to the airport?

Yep.:D......The safe passage provisoin of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 will indeed protect you, as long as you are following the transporting rules. The only risk you are taking is a law-ignorant LEO giving you a hassle. This could really ruin a trip. As an extra form of insurance, I carry copies of the Federal Firearm Owner's Protection Act, TSA Transporting Regulations, and of course, the 2nd Ammendmet.

The grey area lies within flight delays and overnight airport stays. It is just a risk that you have to be willing to take. I had a very positive experience and this was even after a recent terrorism scare. I fly often for work and will be exercising the 2A more frequently now:patriot:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, everthing went great. I was suprised how friendly the staff was. The 2 TSA guys that checked through my case were very cool. One of them saw my LCP and started asking me how I liked it etc.....then it turnd into him talking about how he was considering moving to IN because he was tired of IL politics and gun laws.......I told him that he is welcome in IN. Anyway, an overall pleasant experience.

great to hear! glad everything went well for you.

Top Bottom