• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Residents of Antelope Valley are being driven off their land for endless code violations. These people live literally miles from their nearest neighbors, in the desert. They are bothering no one. But the government wants them to comply with intrusive and expensive regulations in order to be 'allowed' to stay. Such as paying thousands of dollars to bring electricity to their humble living quarters.

Why is the Government Driving Folks Off Their Land?

The Antelope Valley is a vast patch of desert on the outskirts of Los Angeles County, and a segment of the few rugged individualists who live out there increasingly are finding themselves the targets of armed raids from local code enforcement agents, who've assembled into task forces called Nuisance Abatement Teams (NATs). The plight of the Valley's desert dwellers made regional headlines when county officials ordered the destruction of Phonehenge: a towering, colorful castle constructed out of telephone poles by retired phone technician Kim Fahey. Fahey was imprisoned and charged with several misdemeanors.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3RiMdS7sE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Yy-roIT1A[/ame]

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Here's more on the "Phonehenge" guy, who was thrown off his land, into jail, and had his property demolished by the government.

Phonehenge West demolition begins - Los Angeles Times

"They're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to crush me. Why is that?" asked Fahey, 59, who spent almost three decades building his creation from discarded utility poles and other recycled materials. "Why are they trying to destroy a retired phone guy?"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    They live in California, the land where we test all the government over-regulation before they package it for our consumption and eventual hatred. Of course they'll be forced to abide by inane and ridiculous building codes, hazard prevention measures, and other paraphernalia unneeded out in their neck of the...desert?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    They live in California, the land where we test all the government over-regulation before they package it for our consumption and eventual hatred. Of course they'll be forced to abide by inane and ridiculous building codes, hazard prevention measures, and other paraphernalia unneeded out in their neck of the...desert?
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Somber Eventuality

But even "... the smallest worm turns against the heel of its attacker..." and when enough "tsk-tsk-ers" are enraged at Caesar's actions, the Publius will arm itself and upset Caesar's minions. Hope I'm here to see and participate! EBG

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Frankly, I don't have much sympathy. California is a commie police state to the nth degree. The Norks are still marveling at the innovation in government control taking place there.

As much as the principle of the matter stick in my craw, these people are getting what they asked for. Elect statist tyrants and expect statist control. Clearly, this is just a states' rights issue. We shouldn't be involved.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Annexation worries those living outside Lowell
    as long as it it doesn't directly effect me it is cool. who cares about those other people.

Building codes are rightly a state or county issue. The people of California elected exactly what they wanted: a bunch of busybodies who will intrude in every aspect of a person's life.

If people in my state/county/town attempt to pass similar laws or elect people who will enact such, you can be sure that I will protest as best I am able. Until then I respect the right of others to be imbeciles.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The people got what they voted for? Are you sure? Are you serious? Some of those people probably live in that state because they always have. I would dare say some vote against all the government crap every time but are out voted by the have nots and the what about me type of peoples.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS

You got it! Commie-fornia......

They (gov. types) don't even try this kind of tactic in Nevada and Arizona. :cool:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The people got what they voted for? Are you sure? Are you serious? Some of those people probably live in that state because they always have. I would dare say some vote against all the government crap every time but are out voted by the have nots and the what about me type of peoples.

This^^
    At least that's how it is in Illinois.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

This^^
    At least that's how it is in Illinois.

Everyone I know from Illinois happen to be gun nuts like most of us, but that fine city if Chicago out votes the rest of the state.

Yeah, I'm sure. It's called voting with the feet. Clearly, they are voting to accept the circumstances by staying put.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yeah, I'm sure. It's called voting with the feet. Clearly, they are voting to accept the circumstances by staying put.
    Not exactly easy for most people to pick up and move especially out of state. I cannot imagine trying to move to another state and trying to start over.

Another thought is maybe some of these people love their state like they love their country and they hope and pray that things will change for the better.

I think most of our 17,000 members would be hard pressed to leave this state if we had all of Illinois' gun laws here.:twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This is tough.

Do we believe America is a true democracy/republic? Should it be ruled by the constitution of the US and the States and therefore never change?

On this particular matter I would say California is pretty hopeless for at least the next few generations. If they are truly survivalists then they can survive anywhere. Move to a different desert if you want to keep your lifestyle. OR move to the city/meet their demands and start fighting the political machine.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    AJG357 -

I know how it feels - My family and I moved here from Commifornia almost 8 years ago...

It is not easy to pull up stakes and move. But if our laws got bad here, I would do it. I've seen me do it before.

Stakes are overrated in any case.

All of that said, there are a LOT of people in California that feel the same way that most of us do. As you say, they don't leave for family or job or ??? reasons. Look at how the Central Valley and other more rural parts of California voted in the last election. They are simply outnumbered by the huge force in the coastal areas and cities. We can't throw all of the Californians in the same bucket, folks. Some are on our side. They just can't be heard over the idiots in LA, SF etc.

Top Bottom