• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Not much to say. No facts about the incident are present in the story. I suppose the homeowner can appeal if they believe they weren't negligent. Are you fishing for commentary about how the homeowner is held personally responsible to pay the damages in this case, while were the positions reversed it would be the city, not the officer?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not much to say. No facts about the incident are present in the story. I suppose the homeowner can appeal if they believe they weren't negligent. Are you fishing for commentary about how the homeowner is held personally responsible to pay the damages in this case, while were the positions reversed it would be the city, not the officer?

This touches on why I found the first comment interesting.

Clancy Wiggum said:
    If the role was reversed, the homeowner would have taken the cop for everything he had.

Is this possible anywhere in the U.S.? I'd be interested to know.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been to several seminars/classes on liability, and every one has stressed that if the officer is found to be in violation of department policy, then he/she is directly liable for damages. The reason you don't see as much of it is that plaintiffs and their attorneys know that individual cops don't have the deep pocket they're looking for and those suits don't move forward as often as the high-profile, big dollar cases do.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've been to several seminars/classes on liability, and every one has stressed that if the officer is found to be in violation of department policy, then he/she is directly liable for damages. The reason you don't see as much of it is that plaintiffs and their attorneys know that individual cops don't have the deep pocket they're looking for and those suits don't move forward as often as the high-profile, big dollar cases do.

Thanks for the info.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What's sad is that Ragsdale has been denied the ability to carry, apparently because of this incident, even though it appears he was not found to be criminally liable.

As the circumstances are presented in the story in the Telegram (BunnyLink), any of us could have done the same.

Top Bottom