• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I could do better about carrying when I’m in sweatpants around the house. I’m still carrying right now even though I’m home and not planning on going out again. I generally don’t disarm until I change my clothes before bed.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Home carry, chest rig. Do not open door without looking out windows. I may come out through the garage door, if I bother to come out. My neighbor asked me the other day if I felt like I needed to be armed when I visited. I promptly told him I do not go to the bathroom unarmed in my own house. He seamed to be OK with that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cameramonkey has surveillance cameras. That light-bulb just came on, it's early on a Saturday morning, cut me some slack.

Serious note: Thanks for posting this Cm. It's good to hear the baddies were in the back of a squad car quickly and that IMPD took care of business. How many stories like this are there that get no press coverage? The front lines in the war on crime keeps getting closer to the front door.

Just saw this. Actually, the name comes from something else... other kinds of cameras. I used to be a skydiving videographer. We would launch from outside the plane. We would actually crawl outside like a monkey using special aftermarket handholds and steps and ride outside the plane in flight before letting go. That would let us get outside and out of the way of the competitors we were shooting as they would launch from the door. Damn I miss those days.

Note the step in the video. The way this skydiver launches is kinda how I would. Except our Super Otters had a step about 5x as long. I could actually get more than arm's length from the back of the door. You could fit 3 jumpers on that step.

[video=youtube;9Icw7zwTeJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Icw7zwTeJI[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Related question: is there a way to install a peephole in a door so that you don't have to stand in front of the door to look through it?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Related question: is there a way to install a peephole in a door so that you don't have to stand in front of the door to look through it?

Yes. This is the easiest. Not the cheapest, but easiest. One model actually replaces your doorbell button and runs on the 16VAC the trasformer that fires your doorbell solenoids. It makes your smartphone ring so you can answer the door via 2 way intercom from literally anywhere. Even while at work. (You see and hear them, but they only hear you)

https://ring.com/

Less elegant is a CCTV IP camera and an app. At one point I know you could install an analog camera and connect it to a RF modulator to make it broadcast on your home CATV cable on an unused channel. (like an Atari, on channel 3, etc) Havent checked to see if that still works now that we are on Digital OTA HD. But back in the old days it would work on every TV in the house.

But I guess there is probably some kind of camera output to HDMI so you could switch inputs on your TV.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just saw this. Actually, the name comes from something else... other kinds of cameras. I used to be a skydiving videographer. We would launch from outside the plane. We would actually crawl outside like a monkey using special aftermarket handholds and steps and ride outside the plane in flight before letting go. That would let us get outside and out of the way of the competitors we were shooting as they would launch from the door. Damn I miss those days.

Note the step in the video. The way this skydiver launches is kinda how I would. Except our Super Otters had a step about 5x as long. I could actually get more than arm's length from the back of the door. You could fit 3 jumpers on that step.

[video=youtube;9Icw7zwTeJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Icw7zwTeJI[/video]

I've always wondered where the handle came from.

I don't live too far from you and appreciate you posting this info.

We've been talking about security cameras for some time, and this event is a good motivator.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You could use a video doorbell.

Yes. This is the easiest. Not the cheapest, but easiest. One model actually replaces your doorbell button and runs on the 16VAC the trasformer that fires your doorbell solenoids. It makes your smartphone ring so you can answer the door via 2 way intercom from literally anywhere. Even while at work. (You see and hear them, but they only hear you)

https://ring.com/

Less elegant is a CCTV IP camera and an app. At one point I know you could install an analog camera and connect it to a RF modulator to make it broadcast on your home CATV cable on an unused channel. (like an Atari, on channel 3, etc) Havent checked to see if that still works now that we are on Digital OTA HD. But back in the old days it would work on every TV in the house.

But I guess there is probably some kind of camera output to HDMI so you could switch inputs on your TV.

Thanks for the responses, but I was asking about peepholes, not electronic replacements.

I was curious if anyone ever designed/installed one at an angle, from the edge of the door, maybe with some mirrors for viewing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hikvision EXIR cameras are AWESOME. But to get a warranty with Hikvision USA you MUST MUST MUST buy from an authorized distributor. Most online are not and if you have any issues HV wont help. I have a 4mp turret Im testing to possibly upgrade my cams and its incredible. Even if I had this test camera installed I wouldnt have been able to see much more at that distance, but damn, I can sure as hell get a positive ID anywhere on my side of the curb.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the responses, but I was asking about peepholes, not electronic replacements.

I was curious if anyone ever designed/installed one at an angle, from the edge of the door, maybe with some mirrors for viewing.

Nothing Ive seen. The logistics are sketch with things like variable wall thicknesses, etc. THere is always this method:

holland-amsterdam-man-looking-and-leaning-out-of-the-open-window-of-AR2XC1.jpg

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I used to be all Hikvision cams. I started switching to the Dahua Starlight cameras. Their night vision is insane compared to Hikvisions.

I have a hidden camera in a flowerbed too for license plate capturing. Works in the dark as well. Precisely for situations like described in this thread. I wrote a piece of software that can read the plates too. This was my response to a thief stealing a gift my kid got me for fathers day.

View attachment 61602

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have a hidden camera in a flowerbed too for license plate capturing. Works in the dark as well. Precisely for situations like described in this thread. I wrote a piece of software that can read the plates too. This was my response to a thief stealing a gift my kid got me for fathers day.

And how much for this little piece of software? :ingo:

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County

If youre skilled in IT/programming I can help you get it working. You need:

1) an IP camera with infrared and a varifocal lens
    2) suitable placement location thats about a 20 angle to the road
    3) computer running recording software that can capture images to file on motion. I use BlueIris.

When it detects motion BlueIris saves a bunch of images. The program I put together analyzes the images and takes 10 guesses at what the plate is. It logs them to a database with a snapshot of the plate. I also have a program that refocuses the camera for day and night(infrared). I live in an area that doesnt get much traffic so its easy to spot the 3am thiefs prowling.

I dont want to hijack this thread, but if that all doesnt seem too challenging to you PM me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to be all Hikvision cams. I started switching to the Dahua Starlight cameras. Their night vision is insane compared to Hikvisions.

View attachment 61602

If youre skilled in IT/programming I can help you get it working. You need:

1) an IP camera with infrared and a varifocal lens
    2) suitable placement location thats about a 20 angle to the road
    3) computer running recording software that can capture images to file on motion. I use BlueIris.

When it detects motion BlueIris saves a bunch of images. The program I put together analyzes the images and takes 10 guesses at what the plate is. It logs them to a database with a snapshot of the plate. I also have a program that refocuses the camera for day and night(infrared). I live in an area that doesnt get much traffic so its easy to spot the 3am thiefs prowling.

I dont want to hijack this thread, but if that all doesnt seem too challenging to you PM me.

When we start the other thread, to not jack this one, please drop a link here so no one misses.

This is of great interest to me and I'm sure a lot of others. My security "system" is in need of upgrade. Camera prices are coming down to workable pricing, yet there seems a need of separating wheat from chaff. Don't want to revisit the 4 wireless cam (junk) deal I stupidly bought 5ish years ago.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Seems like Thanksgiving starts the Perp Olympics. Carjacking, robbery, burglaring, strong armed assault(battery). Time to strap up, keep a BUG handy. Extra mags-check, bright hand held flashlight-check, Vigilant- double check, folding knife w/ assist-check. Gets worse till after Christmas. Good luck to all.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seems like Thanksgiving starts the Perp Olympics. Carjacking, robbery, burglaring, strong armed assault(battery). Time to strap up, keep a BUG handy. Extra mags-check, bright hand held flashlight-check, Vigilant- double check, folding knife w/ assist-check. Gets worse till after Christmas. Good luck to all.

Got to stock up for the winter..
    Criminals take up crime cause they're lazy, not cause they are dedicated.

Top Bottom