• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tstormdrums

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Howard County
    Choice for me would only be between two...either a Marlin 1895 GS Stainless Guide Gun in 45-70 Govt. or, even better, Winchester M70 Express in .375 H&H Mag.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    For me it would depend upon the type of SHTF situation and my AO.

In an urban or sub-urban area and in a total social breakdown, I'd go with my AR and my .22LR conversion kit. I'd also want the pistol in this photo.
    StagM2WithXDmWeb_zps5252a05b.jpg

In a more rural area, or in a hunting situation where I may encounter game larger than whitetail, my choice would be my 30-06 bolt action.
    1903-Scout-1-Web_zps259f9a8b.jpg

For small game, I'd have a sellection of reduced loads. These would include a few round ball loads for squirrel and rabbit. I'd also have the XDm compact in the AR photo.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Realistically, my SHTF rifle is what I have right now which is my S&W AR. I would be conserving ammo considerably though due to my immediate supply of 5.56/.223 on hand.

This being said, my true SHTF weapon I'd be relying on would be my Kel Tec PMR30 .22 WMR handgun. I have (8) 30 round mags that all fit nicely into two AR mag pouches. That's 240 rounds of immediate firepower that weigh less than (2) 30 round ARmags. Plenty of backup .22 WMR carried in the pack.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe I'll spend the money on training. ;) It's not the arrow, it's the indian...

I do like my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle a lot though, 'cept I giggle when I shoot it. :)

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Just my opinion, but in a true SHTF situation you have to look at a lot of factors...

Do you live in an area where there is a lot of small game, deer size game, larger game?

Are you in a rural area where there are unlikely to be a lot of looters and people who will be desperate to take what you have, or a suburban of urban area where humans will be you biggest concern?

What other supplies to you have stored and ready?

Numerous other factors that I won't go into detail on....

Bottom line, if for some reason I could only have one gun. For my location and situation, I would go with an AR platform 5.56 for three main reasons.

1. It is accurate and reliable for any game in Indiana, or stray cattle that begin wondering around looking for food.

2. .223 is easy and cheap to reload a variety of cartridges for various purposes. This is a huge advantage to me over .22lr. I would not want my only SHTF gun to be completely dependent on factory loaded rimfire ammunition. Learn to reload and how to property store powder. Get .223 bullet molds. I don't like solid lead bullets, but in a true SHTF situation, you need bullets and cannot depend on stockpiles alone.

3. There are so many of them out there, that you will likely be able to scavenge parts somewhere if something breaks. I would recommend buying and storing extra small parts as well.

If I lived in a large town or suburban area, my choice may be different.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Remington 870 with slug and field barrels...

Can hunt anything with it to feed the Family, more than enough even with light buckshot load to ensure any unwelcome person(s) were evicted from your home, and if push come to shove my 10yr old could use it unlike trying to strap him to an AR or AK.

Not to mention unless you've used it as a club and broke the stock off or bent the barrel they are about as bulletproof as they come... I something did break they are one of the most widely used guns at least in the US.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Remington 870 with slug and field barrels...

Can hunt anything with it to feed the Family, more than enough even with light buckshot load to ensure any unwelcome person(s) were evicted from your home, and if push come to shove my 10yr old could use it unlike trying to strap him to an AR or AK.

Not to mention unless you've used it as a club and broke the stock off or bent the barrel they are about as bulletproof as they come... I something did break they are one of the most widely used guns at least in the US.

Second that. Nice first post and welcome!

Top Bottom