• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I've owned and sold many rifles over the years- I've got a little windfall coming soon ($3000) and I plan to buy my "SHTF rifle" and scope. I have my own ideas, but I am interested in what everybody else whould choose as their one-and-only SHTF rifle? Please be more specific than "AR 15" or "M1A" - details please!:patriot:

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That new LE901-16S from Colt is at the top of my list. AR platform shooting 7.62x51, yet easily accepts any standard AR upper. Comes with magpul 7.62 mags: 2x20rds.

IMO, 3 or 4 really deliberately aimed shots of .308 are far superior to a spray-and-pray of .223.

Second place goes to a Socom 16 or one of the other shorter M1a variants, also in 7.62x51.

JH

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    In an honest to goodness SHTF WROL WTLGO kind of deal I would want a Kalashnikov. Specifically I would want an AK 74 with a Parabellum centered rail and a 3.5x PU scope. An assortment of 45, 30, 10 round mags and a trusty Russian sling.

Good thing I already have it :).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    For SHTF... if I could only chose one rifle it would be a ruger 10/22.

1. If SHTF... being quiet might be your biggest asset. Unless you plan on going out in a blaze of glory... shooting off a .308 is going to attract unwanted attention. If you're plan is to stay hidden... consider a quiet option. If you can get a supressor... .22lr is going to be invaluable.

2. .22lr (or 9mm, .223/5.56, .45 and .308) is a common caliber and for $100 you can stockpile enough ammo to hunt for YEARS!!! If you are a crack shot... 1 shot = 1 rabbit.

3. If your ruger breaks... there are MILLIONS of them out there. If you scavange, you will likely be able to find some replacement parts.

(my second choice would be an AR for all reasons above except for stealth... added advantage would be stopping power)

So yeah... whatever you chose... chose it in a common caliber and common platform and weigh whether your plan to survive is to hide or defend.

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    If I had to pick one gun it would be one of my 870's they can do anything from defense to hunting any size game. If not that then I would go for my trusty old .22 bolt action.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For me, in a long term survival-type situation, it would be my 10/22 Liberty Training Rifle. It has rapidly grown into one of the most efficient and effective small caliber rifles I've ever owned, especially when considering I could simply add 1000 rounds to my BOB and still comfortably carry it. Try that with one of the 7.62 cartridges.

Faced with an active combat SHTF situation (UN occupation or the like), the lightweight 5.56 M4 gets the nod. Fitted with both iron sights and some sort of low-powered optic like the Aimpoint M2 Comp or ACOG + NV, it should do well enough for my needs.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Here comes the single shot guy! I would go with a T/C Encore with several barrels, mainly your Nato rifle rounds, 22 rimfire, 209x50, 12 gauge. It may lack in ability to put rounds down range, but it makes up for it in versatility and the requirement to make each shot count.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    SKS

Mine would be my SKS with a Monte Carlo stock, 30rd cap magazines and the bayonet still installed. Open sights also is a must. You can see it in my photo album.

Last edited:

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Short 22lr with a suppressor! Maybe a 10/22 or a short bolt gun. Silence is deadly. Its like bow hunting, you take one out and the one a hundred yards away doest even know your there. or a 14.5-16" flatop ar with a 1-4, 1-6 power 30mm scope with an illuminated reticle. 1x is like a red dot for quick work and 4,6x is great for identification/longer range shooting. If i was to be dropped of in the wilderness and had to survive i would take the 22lr hands down. It will take about anything down with a decent shot and you can carry a couple thousand rounds in your backpack.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I believe that the RUGER GUNSITE SCOUT's slogan is its the one gun to have if you can only have one. I've never shot one but I've almost pushed the BUY IT NOW button on Gunbroker... almost. Anyone ever shot it?

With that said, I'd probably grab either my SKS, Mini-14 or my AR...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I believe that the RUGER GUNSITE SCOUT's slogan is its the one gun to have if you can only have one. I've never shot one but I've almost pushed the BUY IT NOW button on Gunbroker... almost. Anyone ever shot it?

With that said, I'd probably grab either my SKS, Mini-14 or my AR...

Pretty sure this rifle is built on Col Cooper's definition of a SHTF gun.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If I had to pick one gun it would be one of my 870's they can do anything from defense to hunting any size game. If not that then I would go for my trusty old .22 bolt action.
    I agree with the 870 part. That is if I'm still living in my house. If you were talking some survival thing where you had to carry every with you, I would like one of the combo guns that shoots .22 and shotgun. Battle rifle AR or AK.

Top Bottom