• ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Couple things...
    Police are beefing up patrols and homing in on illegal gun owners who come Downtown
    "If you have an illegal firearm, don't come Downtown,"
    Um...how do they know if you're a legal (and law-abiding) gun owner or not, unless the plan is to treat everybody like they are bad guys until they sort out the difference?

Patrol officers also will aggressively enforce traffic violations to sniff out illegal guns,
    I hope my gun smells legal.
    I better start using Hoppes instead of Ballistol. 1946 says Ballistol stinks...I don't want that to be confused with "illegal".

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    So much for innocent until proven guilty.

I do approve of their efforts to keep guns out of the wrong hands, but I'm not sure I approve of the way they're approaching it.

Too many cops with an overly-authoritarian approach to law enforcement and not enough servant mentality to the good citizens of our society.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. A great deal will depend upon how the police carry out this enforcement action. If they are polite and inquire if individuals possess a LTCH before they get excited, incidents will probably pass quietly. If they start cuffing folks before they ask for a LTCH, things will get ugly. But I won't be involved in any case; I stay away from Downtown.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I hope everyone acts responsibly. I have no problem with an LEO asking politely to see my LTCH if they observe me carrying downtown. Don't ask for my gun. Don't shout at me. Don't assault me and for God's sake don't shoot me. Just ask politely to see my LTCH and then say "thank you" and walk away when I produce it. Yes, I know there is no RS or PC to ask me, but I will comply with this polite request.

Gunowners, please don't handle your holstered weapon in public unless you are required to do so by life threatening circumstance. Don't threaten use of your firearm. Do not put foolishly put yourself in situations or locations on the expectation your gun will be a magic hall pass to be stupid. Be polite and assist our LEO friends in removing truly illegal weapons from the hands of criminals.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Gunowners, please don't handle your holstered weapon in public unless you are required to do so by life threatening circumstance. Don't threaten use of your firearm. Do not put foolishly put yourself in situations or locations on the expectation your gun will be a magic hall pass to be stupid.

Not really sure where this came from... That's my mindset everyday I carry anyway.

As for being polite and following the officer's request, I will be polite as long as they are polite. We are both law abiding citizens...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have no skin in this particular game as I also avoid downtown Indy, but while I fundamentally disagree that officers should be asking to see my LTCH (I'd also disagree with a checkpoint where everyone on the road was stopped to see their DL,) I'll comply with the request to see it, wherever I happen to be when the LEO asks.

I am curious what an "illegal gun" is, though. Guns, with few exceptions under IN law, are neither legal nor illegal, though some people are prevented by law from having them.

Maybe the IMPD are all over downtown looking for SBSs?

Blessings,
    Bill

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i could see some lawsuits on impd if they dont handle themselves appropriately. there is a time to show aggression and thats when you KNOW you got a bg, no need to be an A-hole when asking for a ltch and if the person says he doesnt have a ltch, then its time for the leo to stop being nice

if i get drawn on, thrown to the ground, stripped of my gun and placed in cuffs just cause they didnt know if i was lgeal or not then there are going to be some big problems for the state. when a simple question like "got a license for that" could have avoided that incident and alot of money on the states part

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Check Out the establishment of Green Zones for Downtown Indianapolis. Not a Tin Foil Hat Rumor actual Plan for Metal Detectors, Wand searches, Pat Downs, No Guns Allowed for Downtown Indy. Plan was Prepared for the 2012 Super Bowl but once Big Government has a plan, why stop there or with just one Activity

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Experts rise as usual

Just a thought. If you were the guy who had to do the job, and you saw somebody carrying a handgun, wouldn't your first thought be about safety, both for yourself and others? You whiners who yap about being treated like a criminal until proven innocent apparently think somebody can tell just be looking at you that you are not a criminal. So, crime fighting experts.....please tell us exactly how a cop who has never laid eyes on you before is going to make the determination as to whether you are a complete psycho with a stolen gun who came downtown just to shoot somebody or a law abiding citizen.

Top Bottom