If mutant superhumans or superheroes suddenly appeared...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    ..to combat some threat to the world, and they defeated that threat, and just wanted to go back to their regular lives, do you think that the world would accept them? Would you?

I ask because I've seen something in the X-Men movies, and I'm just getting around to watching the Avengers movies tonight, and there is a running theme in these types of movies that some people distrust these people with extrahuman abilities. They just saved the whole durn world, and you think they're bad and dangerous? Need to be monitored and controlled? Must be liberals saying that in the films.

These are films that are derived from the comic books of my youth. If it was in there, I don't remember any backlash against the superheroes. I just remember the superheroes.

But as I think about it, I can see how certain sectors of people in our nation would feel threatened by people who represent Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I liked the X-Men and the Avengers movies, but that's just a fantasy world (and not in the way you are thinking).

Once you get finished with those then find the series called The Boys on Prime. I'm pretty sure that would be a more accurate portrayal of super humans in this day and age. Remove all the clear cut good/bad guys and black/white situations (the fantasy world part) and replace it with superbeings ran by politicians and corporations.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    X-Men was loosely based as commentary about racism. The hate for the mutants in the comics and the first X-Men movies was the same hate against various races and such. Prof x was basically and advocate for race relations. Hank McCoy went to many senate hearings trying to show there is nothing to be afraid of or hate just bc they look/act differently than them.

Read some comics or watch the first X-Men movies and every time someone hates on mutants replace mutants with let's say black folks and the message is the same.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    X-Men messaging is mainly about racism and homophobia (the director Bryan Singer is Jewish and gay/bisexual)

Avengers and related films are about arms race and gun control (Stark was a weapons manufacturer and although supposedly Tony Stark abandoned that industry it's arguable Ironman suits are weapons as seen in Ironman 2. Additionally, the Avengers themselves are weapons and gov't views them as military assets in Civil War)

The Boys TV series is mostly about the hypocrisy of those in power and with powers, but to the OP's original post this in my opinion is the most likely representation of what the real world would look like with superheroes. If the supers themselves don't use their powers to decimate their foes then the powers that be will shield them from accountability for those actions.

Spoiler alert: do not continue if you haven't seen The Boys and don't want it spoiled.

You have been warned.

From the very first scene in episode one, there was no judicial accountability for A-Train's murder of Hughie's girlfriend. There wasn't even an investigation because superheroes are considered above the law. Nor was there any consequence when Homelander destroyed the airplane of his political rival OR allowed a civil airplane to crash instead of even attempting to rescue it. They lead the most decadent lives of self indulgence but because they can exert minimal effort and achieve far greater results than squadrons of mortal soldiers they're afforded near-godlike reverence. Whatever they do must be for the greater good or their motives are beyond question or reproach.

And therein lies the pitfall. These programs speak to a largely unspoken general sentiment that everyone can tell this world is spinning out of control so they're looking for a savior. Even if a savior did swoop in Superman-style and set everything right, the public response would be as fragmented as our attitudes towards the pandemic. If the superhero(es) eliminated the right enemies then those followers would worship the hero and build temples in his/her honor. Those who think the eliminated parties were NOT the enemy now have a vendetta against the super now labeled a supervillain. They would march armies against him, likely in vain but arguably most casualties of war are in vain. If the super's response is limited to a single nation, some other nations would clamor to secure the super's services which is how a superhero is seduced by money and power. Other nations would attempt to create their own superhero in defense in case the original super sets his sights against them. It's the mine shaft gap principle from Dr. Strangelove.

Not exhaustive by any means but it's sort of what they were trying to portray in the Superman: Man of Steel films. Superman's abilities may border on god-like but his patience and his compassion aren't limitless. People wanted to worship him and powerful elites wanted to control him. Some of that messaging got lost in the density of the storytelling condensed into a 2-hr film. That's actually been a common problem in the Superman franchise - there's so much to unpack in so little time. I think that's why Marvel took 20+ films to do their storytelling and they're still at it.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I will add that I have been working on a pseudo-superhero story myself which kind of addresses that phenomenon of hero-turned-deity. I just need to find time to finish writing it!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While I don't read comics or watch the movies, there are examples in history of leaders being given absolute power and then giving it up again. They are few, which may say something about the nature of man in general. Lucius Cincinnatus of early, and Diocletian of later Rome come to mind.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Don't remember where I heard it, could have even been on INGO.

I'd like to see a TV series about the CIA trying, and failing, to kill Clark Kent. Not because they want to eliminate Superman (they have no idea) but because he's a really good investigative reporter and keeps digging stuff up.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Don't remember where I heard it, could have even been on INGO.

I'd like to see a TV series about the CIA trying, and failing, to kill Clark Kent. Not because they want to eliminate Superman (they have no idea) but because he's a really good investigative reporter and keeps digging stuff up.
    "He smoked the whole cigar and he's not dead! What the hell!?"

"I don't understand! We shot his plane down over the Gulf and he was just...back at work that Monday!"

:tantrum:

Top Bottom