• ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ok, another employment question:
    If you owned a business (and maybe you do or did and have experience in this) with an HR department and a handbook and employee guidelines and all that, how would you word your weapon policy? Would you have one?

Here's what I think mine would be. Feel free to shoot holes in it or suggest improvements or post your own.

Weapons are permitted in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. It is each individual's responsibility to know and comply with all regulations pertaining to firearms and use of deadly force. Negligent discharges, brandishing, or unsafe weapon handling will result in termination of employment. Employee is solely responsible for any use of his weapon. Weapons will be stored securely when not in immediate personal control of the owner.

under another heading, "Threats to another person will not be tolerated." or some such wording.

:draw: <--- I love this guy.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I dunno about the employee handbook, but I'm sure there'd be a small sign or lettering on the front door/window that said "This Business is 2nd Amendment Friendly."

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    guess it would depend on the business. I also wonder if insurance policies play a factor in some places of business. I could see folks at motes/gas stations/conv marts etc carrying, but the loony lefties where I work would go ape if they thought someone had a gun on the premises.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was a large employer before I retired. We had a written firearms policy.

Basically we had a policy that said no employee was allowed to carry a gun on the job without specific permission of executive management. The company had trucks in multiple states. We found out some of the drivers were taking handguns with them into Chicago, that could get a truck seized, if found.

We did grant approval to several people who were legally allowed to carry. I don't believe there was ever a denial, but then again in the 20 years I was there, and the half dozen years I was president, I has less than a handful of requests for permission.

Now that said, I retired from there and opened a few cigar stores. My cigar stores are very carry friendly.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Weapons are permitted in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. It is each individual's responsibility to know and comply with all regulations pertaining to firearms and use of deadly force. Negligent discharges, brandishing, or unsafe weapon handling will result in termination of employment. Employee is solely responsible for any use of his weapon. Weapons will be stored securely when not in immediate personal control of the owner.

this is very much how any of us would like to see a policy written, i know i would, BUT your legal department would go CRAZY. you would also likely have trouble getting your insurance, even health, underwritten. where i work, the no firearms in the handbook has been amended to read "with out prior authorization." i am currently investigating what that means.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    this is very much how any of us would like to see a policy written, i know i would, BUT your legal department would go CRAZY. you would also likely have trouble getting your insurance, even health, underwritten. where i work, the no firearms in the handbook has been amended to read "with out prior authorization." i am currently investigating what that means.

Legalspeak for NO NOT IN YOUR DREAMS NO WAY DUDE! :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My former employer didn't have a "weapons" section at all. In fact, there wasn't even an "employee handbook". I called the HR lady and asked for one soon after I was hired.

And this company is the largest in the Indianapolis area...in their field of work.

So, in my elementary logic, nothing prohibiting = it was OK as long as I followed state and federal laws.

-J-

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I don't have a handbook for my company and I do not have any restrictions for personal protection.
    Of course, there are only 4 of us at my shop, so not really an issue.
    If my company ever was to grow (not likely with this new administration/economy), it would be very similar to the first post.
    During our down time, we shoot pellet guns on the 2nd floor...totally demolished my step-son's old cell phone.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "The illegal possession of weapons and firearms in the workplace is expressly forbidden. Discipline up to and exluding temination will result, in addition to possible legal prosecution."

:):

I get to have my gun , and the bliss ninnies will sleep at night not knowing any better.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I worked for a company that had a no firearms policy, I didn't follow it and ALL of the management knew I didn't follow it, including the CEO. But I was a moneymaker so I got some slack from the pencil pushers.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    My former employer didn't have a "weapons" section at all. In fact, there wasn't even an "employee handbook". I called the HR lady and asked for one soon after I was hired.

And this company is the largest in the Indianapolis area...in their field of work.

So, in my elementary logic, nothing prohibiting = it was OK as long as I followed state and federal laws.

-J-

Thats how the place I work does it. That is how my father did it when he owned a large company. And that is how i will do it.

This way the insurance doesn't know because this could be a huge problem. Plus, if there is ever a problem it may keep the business out of a lawsuit. Further it only encourages employees that take a hard stance on the 2A to carry. People that don't know or are ignorant will not carry because they will assume they can't. My logic is if you take this hard stance on the 2A then you will know how to properly use and keep safe you're firearm.

If I am the boss and I am every asked on my policy:

I will say, "refer to the handbook."
    They will respond, "but its not in there."
    Then I will say, "Then please refer to the constitution and local statutes"

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    "The illegal possession of weapons and firearms in the workplace is expressly forbidden. Discipline up to and exluding temination will result, in addition to possible legal prosecution."

I get to have my gun , and the bliss ninnies will sleep at night not knowing any better.

illegal possession? So if you have your LTCH you are good, correct? Hell, as long as you didn't buy it illegal you could make the argument that you don't even need a LTCH. Of course how the heck did you transport it there.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I would ask all of my employees carry when I hire them.

Before starting work, they MUST attend an NRA certified basic pistol training class.

I would like to give them a "Self defense" allowance. You buy it, I'll pay 1/2, or 2/3 with reciept. (How would you like that new [fill in blank] for 1/2 price?) I would probably have a reliable manufacturer list to pick from.

If you can get your LTCH, by all means carry. (would background check before hire to make sure)

Would like to give an incentive for attending additional training classes every so often.

It's for the security like.... why don't gun ranges get robbed? (everyone is carrying)

As for the reprecussions for threats, ND, unsafe handling, Post 1 carrys about the same message I would have.

And a BIG NOTICE to all customers: As you will notice, ALL of our employees are armed to help prevent robbery, defend, ect, ect.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Well, it doesn't HAVE to be an NRA course, and it is the basic course. I just want someone teaching with credentials. Hell, I would contract a few of the guys on this board to run the course.

As for paying, yes, I want you to carry it, so I will pay for it, only seems right.

I've worked for a few ****** places, which makes me want to run my business ass backwards from them, treat your good employees good, and rid the crappy ones. :n00b: Don't make your employees pay for something YOU require. EDIT: Less the education. You're on your own there.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

I like this one. It implies to the insurance morons that there must be some law making guns illegal in the workplace, but to those of us who know that that law doesn't exist, we can tell we're good to go.

Top Bottom