• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "The illegal possession of weapons and firearms in the workplace is expressly forbidden. Discipline up to and exluding temination will result, in addition to possible legal prosecution."

:):

I get to have my gun , and the bliss ninnies will sleep at night not knowing any better.

Whoops! I meant to say "including" not "excluding"!
    :n00b:

bdwarr6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I own 4% of the company I work for and while my residence was in Texas, upper management went to hooters and the range every Friday at 1-2pm. We support the 2nd amendment whole heatedly. Honestly where I work is what got me so involved in weapons.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok, another employment question:
    If you owned a business (and maybe you do or did and have experience in this) with an HR department and a handbook and employee guidelines and all that, how would you word your weapon policy? Would you have one?

Here's what I think mine would be. Feel free to shoot holes in it or suggest improvements or post your own.

Weapons are permitted in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. It is each individual's responsibility to know and comply with all regulations pertaining to firearms and use of deadly force. Negligent discharges, brandishing, or unsafe weapon handling will result in termination of employment. Employee is solely responsible for any use of his weapon. Weapons will be stored securely when not in immediate personal control of the owner.

under another heading, "Threats to another person will not be tolerated." or some such wording.

:draw: <--- I love this guy.

No weapons on company property.
    No warnings. Firing upon first offense.
    No exceptions.

joegrunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Planning on Evansville
    This is a very interesting question and the replies have been informative. I do have a few question on it:

One person stated that all employees would be armed. What would be your course of action if someone failed the background check and could not carry?

Another scenario would be if a potential employee did not share our beliefs in the 2nd. Could that be grounds not to hire?

I agree with more companies having armed employees. A good company to look at is a place called Jim's Pawn and Gun's in Fayetteville, NC. All employees are armed, there is a sign at the door that lets you know it. I have never heard of it being robbed.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This is a very interesting question and the replies have been informative. I do have a few question on it:

One person stated that all employees would be armed. What would be your course of action if someone failed the background check and could not carry?

Another scenario would be if a potential employee did not share our beliefs in the 2nd. Could that be grounds not to hire?

I agree with more companies having armed employees. A good company to look at is a place called Jim's Pawn and Gun's in Fayetteville, NC. All employees are armed, there is a sign at the door that lets you know it. I have never heard of it being robbed.

My answer to that would be if they could not qualify to carry, then they wouldn't qualify to work for me.

2nd one is easy...I, as an employer have the right not to hire anyone I want on any reason I may have. I don't have to tell them the truth as to why they are not being hired. I can simply tell them that there were other candidates that were a bit more qualified, but I'll keep their application on file if anything in the future may come available.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My employer's handbook just says "No illegal weapons shall be possesed by an employee while on duty." Several of us carry every day and it is widely known. Never a problem.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I helped a former boss write his policy. He had a high $$ company come in & write an employee manual which included, The possession of weapons on company or client property is prohibited and shall lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination." I suggested that even though he owned the company, it would apply to him and his little Colt 380 in his car. He wasn't happy about that. I had him insert the word "illegal" between "The" and "possession". That way he could still carry his in his car & I could keep carrying my Colt 45 on me!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Just because I figure number one, I'm not in any type of gun business or this topic wouldn't come up at work.

If I'm in any other kind of business then I'm not in the gun business and I don't want to put up with any or all of this kind of bullsht ya read in this thread.

"No" is simple. No crap house lawyers whining all day about it instead of doing the job I pay them for. No internet messege board recitations on the clock. None of those whine, "He get's to, why can't I..." meetings. None of the little sycophant snitches loitering in front of the office with their "guess what I saw" looks on their face.

Just plain and simple "no". No means "no". No bullsht. Get to work or GTFO.

Snitches, Get to work or GTFO and mind your own business.

"He get's to..." whiners, Get to work or GTFO and mind your own business.

Want to "educate the public", do it on your own time. Get to work or GTFO and mind your own business.

What would I do if... Get to work or GTFO and mind your own business. If you don't like it, buy your own business and go to work there.

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side
    I have a retail/service type business with 10 employees and our handbook was written by our attorney and we have no policy on weapons. So I guess we are don't ask don't tell. Now we do have a general policy on any illegal activities on company property or company time. I guess that would cover illegal carry.

I would have to think if an employee of your company was to use their weapon while on the clock or in your business the business would be liable and subject to civil litigation by the person or persons involved. Including the employee who lets say attempted to stop a robbery with their firearm and was shot. Or worse shoots one of the other customers or employees. I think for legality reasons a policy on illegal activities and on how robbery attempts are handled etc. would be of the greatest value as far as protecting the company and its employees from both harm and lawsuits.

You need to remember it is often lawyers and such that dictate company policy. It sucks, but when everyone is sue happy and most company's run on such tight margins even a little screw up that could involve a lawsuit could put a company out of business. They have to do everything to protect themselves. Even if they believe in 2nd amendment right.

The other thing to keep in mind is, I know I am a good shot and smart with my head and you maybe but everyone that has CCW might not be. They don't give you a stupid test before they approve your permit. And even if your intentions are good when you draw your weapon if you miss your target and hit someone else you are ****ed.

I have seen people with permits do some really dumb stuff.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The place I work has no written policy about weapons at all. There are a couple of us who carry. Does the owner know? I'm sure he doesn't. Would the owner care? Yeah, probably. Does that make me any less willing to carry? No. It's a part time, get a little extra spending money kind of job. If an issue is ever made, I'll head out and not look back.

And for the record, Jack Ryan, you seem like quite a charming person.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond

1. I was the person who said I would have all my employees carry. I could/would conduct my own background check after a first interview. The internet is a wonderful place.

2. If someone is applying for a job at my store/shop, more than likely they will know everyone carries and make that decision before they apply. No one forced you to apply at my job, just like any other job. The only problem I forsee is the initial hirees when I'm just opening up.

Top Bottom