• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Does anyone think that fear of being held liable for an accidental shooting may contribute to the school wanting the "no gun" policy, along the lines of a risk/benefit analysis (for the school, not the students)? I'm not defending IU's decision on that basis, just thinking that it might be part of the adminstration's reasoning.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Does anyone think that fear of being held liable for an accidental shooting may contribute to the school wanting the "no gun" policy, along the lines of a risk/benefit analysis (for the school, not the students)? I'm not defending IU's decision on that basis, just thinking that it might be part of the adminstration's reasoning.

Or can we sue the school for not allowing carry if someone comes to the school and starts shooting with no means to defend ourselves? That makes as much sense.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Nope, it is so unlikely as to be off the radar. They don't like guns. The mindset is 110% PC.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am a veteran teacher in a public high school in NW Indiana. I have been reading this post with some interest as it is a topic that has generated a lot of discussion. In my school, there are several faculty members who have an Indiana LTCH license. None carry to school. We have talked several times about the pros and cons of carrying since the school in Texas began doing so. Our school is in a rural area, hunting and shooting sports are common among the residents, but I think the majority of school patrons would never consent to having armed teachers, armed security guards maybe. Our school has several security camaras in the hallways and at the entrances of the main doors. All doors are locked at 8 am after student arrival. By having these implemented, the school is probably safe from any litigation, because they would be viewed as having instituted a prevention program. I think it would be great if the law allowed for teacher carry, I don't see it happening, at the very least teacher carry would take create a more secure environment and the whole world would know that schools would no longer be "open" to create a dangerous situation.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Interesting sidebar-- I've seen IUPD cadets directing traffic at 7th & Jordan at 5:00 PM the last few days. They have pistols on their hips. I wonder how many hours of training those guys have gone through. More than 40 hours on how to use a firearm in case of a school shooting? I'd be surprised...

wbjenks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am a former teacher, High School in a large city many years ago. Many teachers carried as it was dangerous getting to cars (in a fenced lot). We locked the firearms up once inside the school. Things were different then.

I would welcome CCW in the schools. That is not going to happen unless/until a number of our kids are killed and the school is SUCCESSFULLY held liable. IF the state would revise our laws and take schools off the list prohibiting licensed CCW people, the liability would be on the shooter not the school. Perhaps then, things will change.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I am a veteran teacher in a public high school in NW Indiana.

Thank you for being a teacher. Its a tough job. Ive tried to get into teaching, but never got passed the "liberal" merit board.

I have been reading this post with some interest as it is a topic that has generated a lot of discussion. In my school, there are several faculty members who have an Indiana LTCH license. None carry to school.

Which I understand, being that if you did you'd go to a liberal gulag far far away. (not that I agree)

We have talked several times about the pros and cons of carrying since the school in Texas began doing so.

Good. Do more. Keep the talks open. Keep talking until their ears bleed American Red.

Our school is in a rural area, hunting and shooting sports are common among the residents, but I think the majority of school patrons would never consent to having armed teachers, armed security guards maybe.

This rings of something similar.... oh wait....... a classic school shooting scenario in a rural area with two kids with hunting rifles.

Takes officers and medics 15 minutes or more to respond.

Shooting happens.

Headline reads,

"Parents asking, why couldn't you do more to protect our children!?!?"

Our school has several security camaras in the hallways and at the entrances of the main doors.

Unless Capt Spock and James T Kirk have engineered those cameras with a photon lead repelling force field, they aren't going to do much than give you a grim picture of the worlds worst horror show if a situation were to happen.

All doors are locked at 8 am after student arrival.

Woopie.

Back pack. Locker. Waistband. Hmmm........

By having these implemented, the school is probably safe from any litigation, because they would be viewed as having instituted a prevention program.

True, but its cop-out.

Lawsuits don't reenact the raising of Jesus Christ or Lazarus.

Once you're dead, you're dead.

I think it would be great if the law allowed for teacher carry, I don't see it happening, at the very least teacher carry would take create a more secure environment and the whole world would know that schools would no longer be "open" to create a dangerous situation.

So keep pushing. You. I. We.

WE THE PEOPLE.

WE make the laws!

People like you - respected teachers of our community - Let your voice be heard!

Keep pushing!

How much harm would it really do if you got a Teacher & Student Protection & Defense course setup with the State Police so that the staff of any Indiana school could be considered "Officers" while on campus and have the right to carry & protect?

Keep pushing!

They have to listen eventually!

Texas took the lead, now ride those coat tails.

:patriot::draw::rockwoot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey you know what? I think mall shooting, school shootings, and mass rampages accompanied by firearms by death seeking idiots should all stay in books and movies too.

Does it work?

NO.

Id like to meet the writer of this ^ face to face and tell them to GO BLOW IT OUT THERE HAPPY BUNNY SAVE THE WHALES WE ALL CAN LIVE WITH FLOWERS AND BIRDIES GOLDEN FAIRY I **** RAINBOWS ASS.

There.

I said it.

That rant made me chuckle

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I was a kid growing up most of us students carried 110 Bucks on our belts, and had shotguns or rifles in the windows of our trucks. I don't recall any of us shooting anything we didn't mean to either. Oh yeah thats right we were taught by our parents that guns are tools, not toys.

Yes I am aware of the fact I am a hick.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yes I am aware of the fact I am a hick.

That is because you have a brain and were shown how to use it- to rely on it. If you didn't have a brain, you probably wouldn't even realize it and you would rely on the gubberment to think for you.:n00b: Heck, you might even demand it.

Good for you, hick;)

Top Bottom