• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    IDPA typically has a lower round count than USPSA. Courses of fire are usually very regimented (shoot these targets from here, move to here and shoot those targets, etc). IDPA also has a cover garment and shooters must shoot from behind cover. USPSA is more open, shoot where you want and how you want, figuring out the COF is part of the game.
    Both are good and will teach good marksmanship and gunhandling skills.

IMO, USPSA is a lot more fun. I wish I had started it much earlier.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I actually joined both and ended up loving USPSA. I like shooting on Sundays, since the kids have little league on Saturdays, so the USPSA matches were better scheduling wise.

Lots of videos on Youtube of both.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, you don't have to be a USPSA member to shoot club matches. IDPA, at least at Atlanta, is a different story. You can shoot one match as a non-member of IDPA.

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy
    If "IPSA" is a typo for "IPSC", USPSA is the US division of IPSC.

From USPSA websight.
    "USPSA is affiliated with the International Practical Shooting Confederation (I.P.S.C.), which is comprised of approximately 67 nations. USPSA is the American region of IPSC."

sparkeymat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    DeMotte,IN
    Thanks for all the input. There are ranges by me that do both. I'm leaning more toward USPSA after checking out their website. Mabey ill try both and then decide.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Try them all, then join what you like. or do what I did, try em all, join em all, shoot em all...

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I actually like IDPA more, but I think that is just because it's what I started with. My favorite is actually neither, if I had to give up all the shooting sports but one, I'd keep Steel Challenge.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    USPSA,, Joey lured me to the darkside from IDPA, which I like but not near as much as USPSA. And multigun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking about joining eather the IPSA or the USPSA. Courious as to witch one is the better option. Thanks

Why is this an either/or decision? Why not do both? You can use the same gear for both if you want to do so.

Which is a better option depends on a lot of things, primary of which will be your own personal goals and preferences. Ultimately, IDPA and USPSA are more similar than they different.

As slow1911s mentioned, you can shoot USPSA matches and never join the organization. Most IDPA clubs require you to join IDPA after the first match.

IMO, USPSA is a lot more fun. I wish I had started it much earlier.

I tried! I tried!

USPSA,, Joey lured me to the darkside from IDPA, which I like but not near as much as USPSA. And multigun.

And I'd do it again! Hehe . . .

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most IDPA clubs require you to join IDPA after the first match.

just fyi for yall, it's not a club rule, it's an IDPA rule. Pg 53 in the book, under "shooter responsibilities."

USPSA requires membership for level II and above matches (anything basically anything but regular monthly matches).

My 2c on pepsi vs coke...

IDPA equipment rules are more strict. There is a decent chance your every-day gun won't be legal. In USPSA there is always a division where you can shoot your gun. It may not be the division you want to compete in, but there's a place for you.

For newer shooters, IDPA is much easier to catch on to. Everyone basically shoots the stages the same way and the round count is lower. This means it's easier to focus on the shooting. On the flip side, IDPA has some strict rules for the order targets are engaged in, so that can get confusing.

The IDPA scoring system puts a slightly higher emphasis on accuracy.

I've been a member of both for many years now...

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    just fyi for yall, it's not a club rule, it's an IDPA rule. Pg 53 in the book, under "shooter responsibilities."

Correct, sir.

However, in practice some clubs do not enforce that rule. Some just because they choose not to do so. At others, they make matches open to members of the host club because it's one of the host club's rules that all events have to be open to club members.

Top Bottom