• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Wow, that was bad. But in this particular situation, I'd say the idiot was the one who gave this guy a short-barreled magnum revolver without any instruction on proper grip technique, or how to manage recoil. He probably thought it would be funny to hand that cannon to a new shooter just to see what would happen. I used to see this crap all the time at public ranges...which is one reason that I no longer go to public ranges.

Ignorant does not necessarily equal idiot...you can't know what you don't know, but you should recognize that you lack knowledge and need to be willing to learn. Sadly, there's a contingent of idiot gun owners out there who aren't willing to learn, or just have plain bad judgement, and when the ignorant look to them for instruction, this is what you get.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Pretty sure video is fake/edited, doesn't seem like second muzzle flash is in the right place and no impact on the ceiling :dunno: Pause the video at 10 second and manually move the slider slightly.

Either way, guy shouldn't be shooting that thing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know the net is full of this stuff but it never ceases to amaze me how idiots nearly always survive. Note the WOOO at the end of the vid, what RSOs referred to as Blind leading the blind training. What the most amazing/troubling vids you've seen?

I didn't see it happen, but did see the aftermath.
    Applied Ballistics in Lafayette had the identical incident at their range several years ago.
    This guy did the exact same thing as the guy in the video, but he was using a S&W performance model 500 S&W Magnum.
    His second shot took out the target motor directly above his head.
    Took months to get a new motor.
    The shooter was "shootered" from Applied Ballistics permanently and had to buy them a new motor.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Not a video but real life experience. He may be on here so I’ll keep it vague. This guy is a millionaire and he was drunk. He owns something that is multiple acres but is a business open to the public, like a soccer park. Anyway I and another friend were with him. He sees a raccoon walking, pulls out a handgun and shoots it multiple times. Pretty sure missed, right behind 20 yards away was a guy fishing, there were also people about 400 yards out at his 10 o clock. Luckily didn’t hit anyone. That same day he pulled out the firearm again and just shot it at a 45 degree angle into the sky with houses about 700 yards out.

That experience really made me question if ltchs should be tougher to get.

Edit: at that time I was in my young 20’s as well as my friend, the guy being reckless was roughly 15 years older and had inherited his wealth. My friend was also employed by him. The age difference mixed with my friend being employed by him made me keep my mouth shut. The second time I did say that there was houses that way but it fell on deaf ears.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Wow, that was bad. But in this particular situation, I'd say the idiot was the one who gave this guy a short-barreled magnum revolver without any instruction on proper grip technique, or how to manage recoil. He probably thought it would be funny to hand that cannon to a new shooter just to see what would happen. I used to see this crap all the time at public ranges...which is one reason that I no longer go to public ranges.

Ignorant does not necessarily equal idiot...you can't know what you don't know, but you should recognize that you lack knowledge and need to be willing to learn. Sadly, there's a contingent of idiot gun owners out there who aren't willing to learn, or just have plain bad judgement, and when the ignorant look to them for instruction, this is what you get.
    I agree completely, the student was ignorant but the instructor qualifies for idiot IMHO

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I am going to jump in here, I have taught 2 daughters, a granddaughter, two nieces, and a few other on shooting a handgun. The only person I would not train is my better 3/4's, as there is too much expectations with her. First time shooters I train with a large frame .380 and 5 or 6 magazines. Loading one round at a time, until they are confidant in their ability to hit the target. Once they are used to the gun and able to hit the target some where close to the center, they get two bullet in the mag. During training I myself will not shoot as my attention is my student. Teaching begins at some place other than the range with grip and sight alignment, it's is done were there is no possibility of round to make it's way to a gun. Grip and sight alignment are taught first. Throwing a new shooter a Magnum and expecting anything less than on the video shows how smart the teacher was! Next I question if the gun was a rental, because if so I think the range has some reasonability here too! 15 minutes of training/showing what the gun is capable of and demonstrating it's recoil might, just might have prevented this.

We as ambassadors to new shooters and the public in general are the ones that hurt our sport when this happens!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The very first time I ever shot a gun was as a teenager. I was handed an automatic pistol by the uncle of a friend with no instruction whatsoever. I proceeded to rip the skin off of the web of my hand when the slide recoiled, something I didn't know would happen. The ***hat at least had the decency not to laugh as blood went everywhere, but it is surprising that I ended up becoming a gun owner anyway.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Not a video but real life experience. He may be on here so I’ll keep it vague. This guy is a millionaire and he was drunk. He owns something that is multiple acres but is a business open to the public, like a soccer park. Anyway I and another friend were with him. He sees a raccoon walking, pulls out a handgun and shoots it multiple times. Pretty sure missed, right behind 20 yards away was a guy fishing, there were also people about 400 yards out at his 10 o clock. Luckily didn’t hit anyone. That same day he pulled out the firearm again and just shot it at a 45 degree angle into the sky with houses about 700 yards out.

That experience really made me question if ltchs should be tougher to get.
    No, they shouldn't. But that IDIOT should be charged with felony criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. The laws already exist to deal with these kinds of situations without making it harder for the rest of us to exercise our rights. They just need to be enforced.

From the iga.gov website, I'd say that based on what you described (drunk guy firing a handgun in the direction of a person 20 yards away and towards a residential neighborhood...both clearly places that "people are likely to gather") qualifies for the level 5 felony enhancement:

IC 35-42-2-2 Criminal recklessness; element of hazing; liability barred for good faith report or judicial participation

Sec. 2. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally performs an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person commits criminal recklessness. Except as provided in subsection (b), criminal recklessness is a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) The offense of criminal recklessness as defined in subsection (a) is:

(1) a Level 6 felony if:

(A) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon; or

(B) the person committed aggressive driving (as defined in IC 9-21-8-55) that results in serious bodily injury to another person; or

(2) a Level 5 felony if:

(A) it is committed by shooting a firearm into an inhabited dwelling or other building or place where people are likely to gather; or

(B) the person committed aggressive driving (as defined in IC 9-21-8-55) that results in the death or catastrophic injury of another person."

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Is this a magnum revolver, like a 460? The DA trigger would be 6-8 lb pull, and the 2nd shot was without his left hand on the gun while in full recoil? I'm just trying to imagine the gun rotating backwards and pulling the DA trigger at the same time.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    No, they shouldn't. But that IDIOT should be charged with felony criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. The laws already exist to deal with these kinds of situations without making it harder for the rest of us to exercise our rights. They just need to be enforced.

Right, I agree. I was young and it was the first time I had seen someone be so reckless with a firearm that I had to sit back and think about it. This guy had his ltch and I just thought how the hell could someone like this get one.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    The very first time I ever shot a gun was as a teenager. I was handed an automatic pistol by the uncle of a friend with no instruction whatsoever. I proceeded to rip the skin off of the web of my hand when the slide recoiled, something I didn't know would happen. The ***hat at least had the decency not to laugh as blood went everywhere, but it is surprising that I ended up becoming a gun owner anyway.
    It’s only funny till someone gets hurt. Then it’s hilarious!

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    This clown doesn't know how lucky he is. When viewing this frame by frame, the second discharge appears to occur when the muzzle has rotated more than 135°.
    If real, that round did not so much go up as it went backwards, barely clearing his head, and impacting the ceiling behind him.

I have no doubt that weapon, in free recoil against the instinctive clutching action of his right hand, could be triggered a second time, even with a heavy DA pull.

Top Bottom