Identify these mystery Mags and win free TSG hat!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    We have had these magazines not for four or five years carried them to a few shows, asked a whole bunch of folks in the "know" and as of yet gotten nothing but guesses.
    They are Not AK mags but 7.62x39 fits n the rather well so our assumption is that they are for that cartridge,
    They will not work in
    Mini 30
    Any AK that was have had access to in the past three years.
    Will not fit the VZ's
    We are at a loss.
    So if someone can positively identify these Ill send them a free TSG cover!!

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    They scream AK........ are you sure they are not possibly made by some old soviet block country or old Chinese for their AK's?

Im really thinking and old OLD AK that is a little differnt then the new stuff or would take more/different mags..... I have heard that some of the older stuff/less popular was a little different......

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You know, I just read an article about finnish ak 47 variants that were made with different magazines and much looser tolerances. I am not able to find pictures but it might be a start.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The only 7.62 mags that I can find with the hump on the back of the mag is AK.... Some of the SKS's I found do but are a lot diffent at the top.

Last edited:

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Man, those look like some SKS mag's for a modified SKS.Like that bottom one almost.
    300140.jpg

I remember seeing an SKS as a kid that took magazines just like the ones you have.

Or this one?
    Magazine02.jpg

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    In fact the magazine that came with my sks is very similar, except it's the full length at the top, not shortened. Same manufacturer.

I'll upload a couple of pictures here in a minute.

2010-09-11_12-42-35_298.jpg

2010-09-11_12-43-30_686.jpg

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, its an SKS mag from the early 90s. You had a piece that mounted into the rifle with a screw, in the "duck bill" area, then these mags would lock into the rifle with it.

You know how current SKS mags have the duck bill build in, this system had the duck bill mounted into the rifle.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    yeah, its an SKS mag from the early 90s. You had a piece that mounted into the rifle with a screw, in the "duck bill" area, then these mags would lock into the rifle with it.

You know how current SKS mags have the duck bill build in, this system had the duck bill mounted into the rifle.

Was it the one where the part that mounted in was plastic? Am I remembering having seen something like that?

Top Bottom