• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm planning the Wildcat match (even though it is a little ways away). I'm looking for ideas for both the pistol and 3-Gun match. What would you guys like to see?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm planning the Wildcat match (even though it is a little ways away). I'm looking for ideas for both the pistol and 3-Gun match. What would you guys like to see?
    When I tried the link in your post for the Thompson Center, I got a message that said I was not allowed to access this page?

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I tried the link in your post for the Thompson Center, I got a message that said I was not allowed to access this page?

Hmm. That's weird. Half of my pictures don't work, yet they are on the same server as the ones that do. O well.

So, what would you like to start seeing in Indiana matches?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Jon ...

For 3-gun, I recommend you attend some of the multi-gun matches at Owensboro Rifle and Pistol Club in Kentucky (Owensboro Rifle & Pistol Club - ORPCI.org). Introduce yourself to Gary Welborn and ask to be on his squad. Ask him lots of questions about how he designs and operates the matches. Gary and the Owensboro crew do the best multi-gun/3-gun matches anywhere. They have a lot of experience and you can learn much from them.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    What I like:

-I like 3-gun to be heavier on rifle than shotgun, personally...Like 70/30 or more in favor of rifle.

-As far as shotgun goes, the need to swap shot and slugs in the course of a stage is "fun" too. Not a bad skill to practice either, for those who choose not to stay with one or the other in their HD gun.

-I did like the "Avon" doorbuster shoot-the-stick thing that has been done there before with shotgun. From what I've heard, so did a lot of people.

-The longer the distance or more challenging the rifle targets the better in my opinion. I'm not so much a fan of run and gun rifle courses- I feel that's what pistol courses are for.
    Last match, I know people used up a lot of ammo on that clay/steel rifle stage (stage five I think) which may not be ideal with ammo cost being what it is, but I think those of us in my squad learned to slow down and get our hits next time. That should reduce ammo use next time. Shooting 10 targets at longer distance is at least as much fun as shooting 20 targets up close to me...it's up to us to not use more ammo doing it.

-I like steel better than paper at longer range. Paper at distance just makes everyone throw a shot or two at them and go on, whereas steel causes them to get the hit. With distant paper- everybody just shoots sloppy and the fastest or luckiest sloppy shooter wins.
    Might save time in scoring too, since only a target setter or two has to go down and back instead of the RO, clipboard wrangler, and a couple of pasters.

-As far as movement goes, I like multiple firing points up close and fewer points as the distance increases. Maybe that's a given, I don't know.

Just trying to answer the question and tell you what I like. Others may hate it.
    Thanks for what you're doing there and for even asking this.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not every stage needs to be a field course. I like them as much as anyone, but a whole match of them takes too long. I may get flack for this, but I really like the 3-2-1 idea of match allocation. 3 short courses (<12 rounds), 2 medium courses (12-18 rds), 1 long course (18-32 rounds). This applies to 3/multi-gun as much as it does to pistol only.

Long range standards are not done enough. Shooters hate them because they are hard. Just about anyone can blast away at 10-15 yds. 25+ shows who the shooters are, IMO.

Much of how long a match takes has to do with setup. Short courses/speed shoots should not run into field courses. Waiting is not fun.

Hard cover, no-shoots, and tight shots are good. Yes, good. Arms-length, mindless hose-fests are wastes of ammo, time, and they do not build much in the way of gun handling skills.

Mandatory reloads are not used enough.

Empty gun starts are not used enough.

Top Bottom