• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i want to build a sten gun. i have no papers other than my pink slip. 1st can i do it in semi auto with no papers? 2nd i can find kits but no main tubes for the body.(were can i get one ?)3rd do i have to stamp #s on it and turn somthing in when im done? im sure ill have more ?s but for now i think thats it. any help will be cool!! thanks :yesway:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    i want to build a sten gun. i have no papers other than my pink slip. 1st can i do it in semi auto with no papers? 2nd i can find kits but no main tubes for the body.(were can i get one ?)3rd do i have to stamp #s on it and turn somthing in when im done? im sure ill have more ?s but for now i think thats it. any help will be cool!! thanks :yesway:

If it is to have the normal short barrel of a sten, then you must do a tax stamp just like any short barrel.

The second issue will be converting it to fire from a closed bolt. I have a vague memory that this will be required in the process but could easily be wrong.

Help will be along shortly.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My uncle has a Sten that he lets me shoot. It is a hoot, that is for sure to say. Didnt cost him much and the stamp was a fast process for him (at the time).

CAI is releasing Sterlings (Stenish?) in semi auto with 16 inch barrels right now. I got to fondle one and it appears well made and well built. I would get one in a heartbeat. Fires from closed bolt but the sights are even cheaper looking than my uncle's WW2 Sten. Maybe not what you are looking for (everyone loves NFA!), but its an entry into that market if one cannot find a real Sten or build one.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    A friend built a semi with one of these tubes Tubes said they shipped fast if they have it in stock. He also said there is semiautosten.com website Good luck

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    I'm not sure if links are allowed here,, delete it if its not allowed...

Indianapolis Ordnance

Just a coincidence I was looking around at semi-auto sten kits yesterday and came across this. You can get kits or just parts i think, not sure they sell complete guns but that may be helpful for information if nothing else.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1st can i do it in semi auto with no papers?

Assuming it is strictly for personal use and not for (eventual) resale, yes. There is no requirement to register the gun or even give it a serial number in that case. It must, however, still be a closed-bolt semi-auto with a barrel 16" or longer. If you want to go with the original STEN barrel, you would need to build it as a registered SBR, with all the markings and paperwork that entails. Building it as a full-auto is a no-no unless you can find a tube that was registered as a machine gun prior to the May 1986 cutoff... in which case the price would probably be pretty close to that of a complete gun, anyway.

HTH!

Top Bottom