• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any cool updates going on?
    This afternoon as I was ready to pull out of my new driveway, a pretty little female pheasant ran across my drive not 25 feet in front of my truck!
    On top of deer, coyote, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, and even groundhogs, I now have pheasant!

Another update,
    Electrical inspection scheduled for tomorrow and the local R.E.M.C. has me on the schedule for Thursday to set my new pole and energize my new system.

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    This is the ONLY way ( I'm going to do it) to hang drywall by yourself.
    View attachment 320018 View attachment 320019
    IMG_0739.JPG
    I concur that the drywall lift is the way to go, especially with 12' sheets weighing roughly 80lbs each. Ceilings were especially annoying because I had to use 3" screws to get through the multiple layers of plaster.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    View attachment 320061
    I concur that the drywall lift is the way to go, especially with 12' sheets weighing roughly 80lbs each. Ceilings were especially annoying because I had to use 3" screws to get through the multiple layers of plaster.
    I'm using 2-1/2" screws.
    It's not too bad, until I hit one of those rock hard oak joists.
    I've snapped the heads off of several screws before they sink into the drywall.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    X3

We bought the house my grandpa built in 1942. He had cleared almost 150 acres of woods when he bought the land. His grandpa owned a sawmill nearby so every board used in the framing came from that.

All the studs are oak. When we were first working on it, the wife was pregnant and couldn't help much. What she could do was run every single drywall screw across a bar of soap.

My other grandpa was helping me and he preferred to nail drywall. I couldn't understand how he was driving those nails into the petrified oak studs. I finally saw him shoving a nail into the bottom of his hammer handle. He had drilled it out and poured beeswax into it.

The hardest thing I have tried to drill/screw into in the house isn't the oak wall studs, but the red elm rafters. We were doing this work pre-cordless tools. I had 2 aluminum bodied 3/8 drills each with a 3/4" paddle bit in them. When rewiring I would grab drill #1 and start a hole to run the wire through. When that drill was too hot to hold, I'd set it down and grab drill #2. When #2 was almost on fire, I'd grab #1 which had cooled off by then.

I'm glad you're enjoying this journey. I have to say, if I had it to do over, I'd have built new.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    X3

We bought the house my grandpa built in 1942. He had cleared almost 150 acres of woods when he bought the land. His grandpa owned a sawmill nearby so every board used in the framing came from that.

All the studs are oak. When we were first working on it, the wife was pregnant and couldn't help much. What she could do was run every single drywall screw across a bar of soap.

My other grandpa was helping me and he preferred to nail drywall. I couldn't understand how he was driving those nails into the petrified oak studs. I finally saw him shoving a nail into the bottom of his hammer handle. He had drilled it out and poured beeswax into it.

The hardest thing I have tried to drill/screw into in the house isn't the oak wall studs, but the red elm rafters. We were doing this work pre-cordless tools. I had 2 aluminum bodied 3/8 drills each with a 3/4" paddle bit in them. When rewiring I would grab drill #1 and start a hole to run the wire through. When that drill was too hot to hold, I'd set it down and grab drill #2. When #2 was almost on fire, I'd grab #1 which had cooled off by then.

I'm glad you're enjoying this journey. I have to say, if I had it to do over, I'd have built new.
    I'm laughing with you, I've gutted three old 1880''s balloon frame houses in the past 30 years. The first was in Anderson, I tripped out the tube and knob elect and started drilling holes for the new elect in the gutted frame.
    The floor joists and wall studs were so hard I burned up a Milwaukee hole hog and went to Lowes and bought another one.
    Buy the time I was done that rehab I had burned up my 1/2" Milwaukee hole shooter and the new hole hog had a a good smell to it when it was being used.
    Every hole was like drilling through 11/2" steel.

Top Bottom