• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any cool updates going on?
    I'll try to get some pics later this week.
    Floors downstairs look like Swiss cheese right now.
    Had to open access holes to run new wiring, plumbing, and replacing bad ductwork.
    Just finished the major part of the roof yesterday.
    Brand new Heil furnace is up and running, and just in time
    Got a decent start on the rewiring during a couple of rain days.

The rain has helped start my new lawn.
    Grass is just starting to sprout.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll take pics and update tomorrow.
    New pex water lines throughout the house.
    New pvc drains throughout.
    New 200amp load center and meter base w/mast are set and wired.
    Working with #3-0 copper wire is a bear.
    New 12-2 w/ground supplying 20amp circuits to all outlets.
    I have 2 more rooms to snake wire through before I can call for my rough-in inspection.
    Once the new electric is energized I'll have hot water.
    One toilet working, finally!
    One shower base and walls set, ready for the faucet.
    Hooked up the kitchen sink tonight on a temporary basis and just as I got ready to leave I noticed one of the valves had a slow drip so I shut it back down for the night.

Making progress, albeit slow.
    At least it seems slow to me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    20231201_103553.jpg 20231201_103527.jpg 20231201_103512.jpg 20231201_103451.jpg
    Moved the pressure tank up off of the floor to save space, and to make it easier to deal with should any repair needs arise.
    Also installed a whole house water filter.

Next is a closeup of the whole house, on demand, thankless water heater, and water distribution control center.
    Every water room has its own separate run all from from pressure equalizing manifolds.
    There is also a separate shutoff valve for each water room for each of the cold and hot runs.
    Extra material, but I can isolate any one bath or kitchen without the need to shut down the entire house.

New 92% efficient Heil furnace with matching central air unit.

New 200amp load center. 20231201_103419.jpg

New 200amp meter base with shutoff and 8 external breaker spaces and new mast strung with #3-0 copper cable @$5.28 per foot!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    20231201_105358.jpg 20231201_105350.jpg 20231201_105341.jpg Mom's new bathroom
    New walk-in shower surround and partial framing for small walk-in closet.
    New vanity cabinet (actually a kitchen base because mom wanted something taller).
    New high seat toilet. 17" tall at the rim.
    It's brand new and I paid $32+ for it at the Habitat for Hunanity Restore.
    I love that place. I even got a military discount.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    20231201_112727.jpg
    Main bath still needs some work 20231201_112712.jpg
    Kitchen needs some attention too.
    When was the last time you saw a fireplace in a kitchen?
    My guess is, being built in 1920, they probably cooked in this fireplace.
    Doubt if I'll use it, but the chimney is still serviceable and I have no plans to remove the fireplace.
    I think it looks quaint.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Making progress, albeit slow.
    At least it seems slow to me.
    Bought my first house September of last year off of a foreclosure auction. Needed work to be habitable (though much less work than what your house required). After almost 1-1/2 years, still not even close. My dad, who built every house he owned except his first, told me when I first got it that at some point you'll get frustrated and depressed with the progress. He wasn't kidding. It's been a struggle to balance a full time job, finances for material, work on the house, my own personal projects and research, and sleep. Despite all this, I don't regret any of it. There is something special about living in a place that was constructed by yourself. You know with confidence where every screw, pipe, and wire is at. Especially the peace of mind replacing non-grounded cloth wring with proper 12 gauge NM Romex.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING AN UPDATE!!! WOW, that's a TON of work in a short period of time!!!

I'm scratching my head on the kitchen w/ fireplace. It's not the size/style I would expect if it were something they used to cook on. How's the layout overall? Could that room have been a parlor or dining room and later converted to a kitchen? The tile below the window and age/stain on the window casings I could see being original but the layout is odd for 1920 with the fireplace being set on that wall in a kitchen. The mirrored fireplace surround/mantle is also a bit more formal than a kitchen would have had, but it could have been relocated from some other room in the house. Very curious indeed...

Love the progress, it's truly a labor of love and they are worth it in the end.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING AN UPDATE!!! WOW, that's a TON of work in a short period of time!!!

I'm scratching my head on the kitchen w/ fireplace. It's not the size/style I would expect if it were something they used to cook on. How's the layout overall? Could that room have been a parlor or dining room and later converted to a kitchen? The tile below the window and age/stain on the window casings I could see being original but the layout is odd for 1920 with the fireplace being set on that wall in a kitchen. The mirrored fireplace surround/mantle is also a bit more formal than a kitchen would have had, but it could have been relocated from some other room in the house. Very curious indeed...

Love the progress, it's truly a labor of love and they are worth it in the end.
    We installed hvac at a home in Muncie yesterday that had a fireplace in the kitchen. It didn't look right but there were signs of remodeling at some point.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nice meter base.

In the spring, spray the house down with Wet and Forget. By June it will be clean looking. Stuff works wonders.
    20231203_141931.jpg
    Here's the part I like about it.
    Not only do I have outside electric capabilities but I can shut down the entire house and do work on my main panel if needed, without the need to call the electric company.

Top Bottom