I want to go live in a garden shed (In a van down by the river!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    You might try googleing "small cabin plans". Some of these are farily bare and may give you ideas of what the minimum space is. I recently built a small shed from pre-made frames bought from home-depot or lowes, i forget. The frames and wood in general was pretty cheap and one frame was even torn apart and corrected to be even close to the others. Just a warning to shop carefully and look for quality. This cabin probably won't be maintained often and you'll be pretty upset of it's damaged when you show up some time.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If you want to do a straightup barn like I did you can order a barn kit with material pre cut and the modify it the way you want as you build

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I had originally thought of a building 8x12, but now I think I'm going to build a cabin 12x12 with an attached porch. The attached porch roof will also be a sleeping loft. I will build a very small room in the corner on one wall about 3x6 feet big there will be a toilet and sink in there. (To conserve space only one sink in the kitchen area.) I plan on building the cabin later this year or early next spring. This fall I'll go up and clear the land. and get the land generally ready.
    I appreciate the ideas mentioned up this point, but will also have to stay in budget, so first build the cabin and worry about the utility hook ups later. Just tonight I got my chemical toilet and propane stove in from Cabela's. Is it weird that I'm so excited about a toilet?
    I'm including a picture of the land and of the cabin style that I'm picturing.
    MILand002-1.jpg

m-11bg.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would not go smaller than 12x12 or 12x14 and for sure have some loft space. Your lot is small so plan ahead, what else could it be used for if you put something bigger up later?

I would consider using cinder block and "hardened" doors and windows etc...crooks are rampant in the woods

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just saw your pic. Don't waste roof space on a covered porch. Also if you have zoning limits, like in Indy 10x12 is max you can build without a permit, you build the shed, then build a seperate and similar sized pergola or covered area in front of the cabin. BTDT and it is much more functional.

You double your useable space by doing this. You can put up some 4x4 poles and run a tarp over them, put this in front fo the cabin.

Try to conserve your indoor space. Set up fish and game cleaning tables, chairs, fire pit. The idea is to be outside anyway, use that space to the fullest.

Somehwere I have some great video and pics of an old timers place. I met him in the 70's, he built it in the 30's or 40's. His family sold it in 07. This is in Northern Minnesotta. Park an old Willy's out front, it adds a lot of character.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    My suggestion is to use a pole type building with metal barn type siding and roof. It's post and beam construction, gives you lots of usable space and will withstand the elements with lower outside maintenance for a getaway location. I'd keep the plumbing simple. bathroom & kitchen close to eliminate long runs. If you do it legally, Michigan will require permits for your waste water, perk tests, finger system, etc and this can be very costly. If wood is available I'd look into a good wood stove for heat and cooking. Don't skimp on the stove quality, use all double or triple wall pipe, over insulate for summer coolness and winter warmth.

Good luck with your project

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I built a 16x24 cabin on stilts. If I need to, I can put skid runners under it and cut the posts to make it portable so to speak.
    I love this topic...
    I have one big open room and then i added a 10x16 sleeping loft. i made a small kitchen, bought a big 2 burner lp stove (cheaper). I have oil lamps and propane lantern. Re-fill those little tanks and save a bundle. I bought a cheap woodstove from Menards for 159. I get free firewood from the woods or all i care to haul from the railroad tie company down the road.
    I use a 5 gallon water dipenser and refill the five gallon jugs and carry them to the cabin. I dont like the chemical or compost toilets, I made a outhouse on skids. Its very very nice. I am now working on a shower/steam sauna that will be portale too. Working on the solar collector but unsure if i get enought sun where i am.
    i love my little get away.
    good luck!

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have a Ford F250 4x4 with 33 inch mudders on it with a full size "cab over camper"... am I missing something??? Running water, a chem toilet, propane furnace, stove, and oven. I can power it off a generator or even an ACP 780 watt battery backup {made for use with a PC} if I need to "run silent" ...a solar panel can recharge the batteries within reason... but any 12 volt battery can be hooked up to the U.I.P.S and power everything.
    I don't understand why the small cabin idea is so popular ... if the SHTF being mobile is priceless in my book. Like I said am i missing something? I never thought living in my storage shed was a good idea... but I could live in my truck cab over camper {and do several weeks a summer} the "small cabin" is overrated at best... unless its half buried in a hill hidden behind camouflage in a remote area and no one knows it exists but you... its simple to vunerable. MHO

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have a Ford F250 4x4 with 33 inch mudders on it with a full size "cab over camper"... am I missing something??? Running water, a chem toilet, propane furnace, stove, and oven. I can power it off a generator or even an ACP 780 watt battery backup {made for use with a PC} if I need to "run silent" ...a solar panel can recharge the batteries within reason... but any 12 volt battery can be hooked up to the U.I.P.S and power everything.
    I don't understand why the small cabin idea is so popular ... if the SHTF being mobile is priceless in my book. Like I said am i missing something? I never though living in my storage shed was a good idea... but I could live in my truck cab over camper {and do several weeks a summer} the "small cabin" is overrated at best... unless its half buried in a hill hidden behind camouflage in a remote area and no one knows it exists but you... its simple to vunerable. MHO
    The part you're missing is this more recreation than SHTF. Also, I have wife and 3 kids. Pickup and and camper would be cramped.
    And saying you have a camper doesn't have the same ring as saying you have a small cabin in the woods.:D

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    So far I have only used my cab over camper for recreation... I forgot to mention it even has AC and a TV with room to sleep 4 adults possibly 5 if you put a cot or sleeping bags on the floor area. If nothing else put up a couple tents or even a gazebo if you need a back porch.
    It doesn't have the "same ring" as a "small cabin in the woods"...lol... how about "try getting that RV half the places "this beast" can go"!!! I think it has a nice ring all its own ;)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guys, you all have me longing for a nice simpleler way of life. A small cabin in a wooded area next to a nice pond sure sounds great.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was listening to a podcast from Northern Ireland last night. It fit right in here. A man wrote a book about sheds and discussed it on the Stephen Nolan show. It was about how men needs sheds to 'get away' for some contemplative time. A lady on the show argues with the guy. Kinda funny. I bumped into a man yesterday that also listens to this Stephen Nolan show.

Nolan's show rebroadcasts can be found here:
    BBC - BBC Radio Ulster Programmes - The Stephen Nolan Show

But, the specific show will only last 4 more days on this page.
    This is the show synopsis
    BBC - BBC Radio Ulster Programmes - The Stephen Nolan Show, 12/06/2009

Here is the direct link to listen. I think it might require RealPlayer or whatever to listen. Grab the slider control, and move it so you can align to the time of 1:15 into the program. (That's one hour and 15 minutes into the program)

BBC iPlayer Console

If you'd prefer to use iTunes to get this and load it onto you iPod, which will last past 4 days, here is the Apple Music Store (iTunes) link: [this will bring up iTunes]

iTunes Store

Here is the book he wrote
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Things-Shed-Rob-Beattie/dp/0091906113"]101 Things to Do in a Shed: Rob Beattie: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]
    5188DA75HSL._SS500_.jpg

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    If you want the best shed or bug out vehicle keep this in mind well rounded, self contained and redundant.

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Also use maneuverability both strategically (when and where to fight) and tactically (how to fight the battle YOU CHOOSE) when choosing your location or vehicle.:twocents:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    While I'll keep that in mind, This is just a place to go and unwind on the weekends not tshtf place. I am planning some defense into it, I'm just not talking about those things

Top Bottom