• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well it has been roughly 3 weeks since I recieved my brand new Ruger Mark II 22/45 as a gift from my fiances grandfather( he is a gunsmith and has quite a collection). It is my first gun and one I will probably have forever. Since then, I have been to family indoor 3 times and absolutely love shooting and have gotton quite good at it if I might say so myself:) Yesterday, we did some backyard plinking at my buddies parents house out in bfe and I took my fiance along for her first shooting experience. She loved it and did pretty well for a first timer! Now that I have one, I want more! I am thinking about using some of the money we recieve as gifts from our wedding in April to buy a 9mm. I have done a lot of research and I am thinking about a S&W MP, Springfield xd or a ruger 9mm of some sorts. Can anyone give me opinions of their experiences with any of these? My main use would be for cc and of course at the range. Sorry for the long winded post, but as you can tell I'm becoming quite the fanatic. Thanks!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I suggest XD if you want compact or subcompact, XDm if you want full size. These are awesome guns.:yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Please invest in training early! You won't regret spending the money, especially if you plan on carrying for self-defense.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I can't let the only suggestion be an XD....Glock 19 is very popular and would suit your purposes very well. Although I hate to admit it...the XD sometimes fits people's hands better and you should definitely shoot your options, rather than just doing research.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Shoot all you can (Glock, Xd, M&P, etc) and see what you like best, and what fits. Everyone one the interwebz will tell you that their gun is the best, but it's about what feels good to you.

:)

Now that said, I do suggest 9mm. I have a Glock 19 and love it, perfect size for range and CC use.

chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do like the idea of the safety on the back of the xd. As for training goes, what kind of training do you suggest? I would definately like for my fiance to take a class so that I feel more comfortable with her being home alone.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If you can, try to fire each of the firearms you are considering. I will take this opportunity to remind anyone thinking of purchasing a firearm in these troubled financial times... Try to buy American when you can.

The Ruger and Smith & Wesson are U.S. based companies that produce firearms built in the U.S. Springfield is a U.S. based company that outsources to Croatia for the XD line and Brazil for the 1911 line. If it gets under your skin that U.S. manufacturers are shipping jobs offshore, then purchase with your conscience.

A historical note about the M&P brand from Smith & Wesson:

The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military & Police) has always been a highly respected revolver from its introduction to today. Introduced in 1899, it became the standard by which every other medium-frame double-action revolver would be judged--as well as serving as the launching platform for one of the most influential handgun cartridges in history: the .38 S&W Special. The popularity of the M&P (aka Model 10) revolver grew so quickly that it was the most widely used police revolver in the free world.

The M&P line grew into a new brand of semi-auto handguns in 2006, and has become the biggest product launch in S&W's history. The company has been producing semi-auto handguns for more than 100 years, but it was not until 2006 that Smith & Wesson would roll out a semi-auto worthy of the M&P logo. Since its introduction, the M&P has won over 370 LE agency "issued sidearm" contracts. That is more new "issued" contracts than any other sidearm manufacturer. Most of those contracts were gained at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer. Springfield's XD does not have any "issued" sidearm contracts to lose.

The NEW M&P semi-auto really is a worthy heir to the brand's name and reputation.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    of your 3 choices ditch the ruger and choose between the other 2, then add a sig 226:D

+1 on the Sig! I love mine. Not very good for CC though, since it is so big (although I carry mine sometimes if I am wearing a sweatshirt).

I like your idea of starting with a 9mm. That will allow you to shoot more for your $$$ and is a fine defensive caliber if using a good JHP. You can always get something bigger later... there WILL be a later.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    The next time you go to pops rent the guns you are thinking about and put a box through each one. It's alot cheaper than buying the wrong weapon and you will be able to instantly feel the difference.
    XD's and Glock's will be about the same price +/- a few $ and they are both excellent weapons. I can't speek towards a ruger.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Over the course of time we've owned all of the "big 3" brands when it comes to combat tupperware. In 9mm we've had a M&P 9c, a XD9 Tactical, and a Glock 19.

Personally, I preferred the S&W, because it felt best in my hand. My wife preferred the XD9 because it felt best to her, and she shot her best with it. Neither of us much care for the way the Glock feels to us.

Notice, the deciding factor in all three of those cases was entirely subjective. Objectively, all the guns provided flawless reliability, all were quite accurate, all do the job they are designed to do superbly. Can't go wrong with any of them. Just get your hands on them, side by side prefereably, and pick the one that feels best to you. Even better, shoot them side by side. The money spent on rentals will be money well spent.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and carry any one of the bunch.

chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The next time you go to pops rent the guns you are thinking about and put a box through each one. It's alot cheaper than buying the wrong weapon and you will be able to instantly feel the difference.
    XD's and Glock's will be about the same price +/- a few $ and they are both excellent weapons. I can't speek towards a ruger.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION...

Thanks everyone for your advice! Last time I went to pops my buddy who came with rented a glock 17 and it broke halfway through the rental period and they had to ship it off to glock to get fixed:( I know those rentals are used and abused so it is hard to pass judgement but still... I appreciate all the help from everyone! Although I am still learning about guns, I can always answer any food related ?'s for anyone. Perhaps I will post a great homemade bacon recipe in the off topic forum for everyone:)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Well it has been roughly 3 weeks since I recieved my brand new Ruger Mark II 22/45 as a gift from my fiances grandfather( he is a gunsmith and has quite a collection). It is my first gun and one I will probably have forever. Since then, I have been to family indoor 3 times and absolutely love shooting and have gotton quite good at it if I might say so myself:) Yesterday, we did some backyard plinking at my buddies parents house out in bfe and I took my fiance along for her first shooting experience. She loved it and did pretty well for a first timer! Now that I have one, I want more! I am thinking about using some of the money we recieve as gifts from our wedding in April to buy a 9mm. I have done a lot of research and I am thinking about a S&W MP, Springfield xd or a ruger 9mm of some sorts. Can anyone give me opinions of their experiences with any of these? My main use would be for cc and of course at the range. Sorry for the long winded post, but as you can tell I'm becoming quite the fanatic. Thanks!

Dude if you are this tore up over a Ruger Mark II. Whatever you do DO NOT buy an AR-15. The EBR Disease will take a hold on you with a vengeance. I warn you Chef to Chef there is no cure!!! You will one day find yourself sitting alone in the dark cooking bacon wrapped bacon and lovingly caressing cold steel. You will later find yourself considering other means to increase your lust as EBR disease conforms and twists itself into EBP disease. Once this happens there is no turning back. You will be doomed to a life of freedom and contentment....:D :ar15:

Top Bottom