• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    Folks, I'm tired but I'm not giving up on my friend. I am not confrontational by nature but something about this recent gun debate (lecture) has me pushing forward.

My friend is in lock step with President Obama regarding registration, limitation, confiscation, etc. His emotions are clouding his judgment and I can't break through. I've been over the talking points and provided all the usual data we use to defend ourselves and our liberty. I've offered him my knowledge and experience with gun safety and asked him to join me at the range.

My question to you is this: How do we remove the emotion of their argument and political agenda? If their head is that far into the sand already, do we have hope? Can we "hope" to "change" their emotions when that deeply ingrained from their side?

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. Hang in there my friends.

Last edited:

IRISH1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Bend
    Folks, I'm tired but I'm not giving up on my friend. I am not confrontational by nature but something about this recent gun debate (lecture) has me pushing forward.

My friend is in lock step with President Obama regarding registration, limitation, confiscation, etc. His emotions are clouding his judgment and I can't break through. I've been over the talking points and provided all the usual data we use to defend ourselves and our liberty. I've offered him my knowledge and experience with gun safety and asked him to join me at the range.

My question to you is this: How do we remove the emotion of their argument and political agenda? If their head is that far into the sand already, do we have hope? Can we "hope" to "change" their emotions when that deeply ingrained from their side?

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. Hang in there my friends.

You cannot remove the emotion he has, however if you could change his emotion by having him see it from the perspective of a victim of violent crime and have him look at it through their eyes, without harming him or putting him in harms way, then you may be able to make progress. However, most people with a view or opinion are set on it and will not change it. Only time and life experience will tell.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Don't push him. Respect his position and hopefully he will respect yours. Continue to be a good friend so at least he can say he has one 2A supporter friend. That way he will have someone to turn to if/when he does change his mind. Some people are simply afraid of guns and they always will be.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Ask him if he would've supported Hitler doing the same, and for the "same" reasons (at least that's what Hitler said, not what he did).

The best way to change someone's opinion is a history lesson. Show what happens with registration. And then after registration, seizure. Show them all the tyranny that happens after these things occur.

then ask them if they would have allowed those things to happen? If they say no, then ask them how would registration and confiscation would help the people to fight back when another Hitler-like figure tries to take power?

America sent guns over there. America sends guns and supplies to other countries. yet "america" is trying to disarm it's own people. Kind of disgusting really.

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    Ask him if he would've supported Hitler doing the same, and for the "same" reasons (at least that's what Hitler said, not what he did).

The best way to change someone's opinion is a history lesson. Show what happens with registration. And then after registration, seizure. Show them all the tyranny that happens after these things occur.

Good points and I've been there with this among others:
    Death by "Gun Control"

I left him with "I cannot hope to change your emotions, but I would like for you to join me at my house for a gun safety overview and possibly some range time. This will help you better unstand my position." He responded that my "lack of emotion over those kids in CT is disturbing".

This is a tough one... thanks again all.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Then if he still says he wants guns taken, there is no hope for him. Your time, sadly, might be spent better elsewhere.

I've been there too :(

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

then ask them if they would have allowed those things to happen? If they say no, then ask them how would registration and confiscation would help the people to fight back when another Hitler-like figure tries to take power?

America sent guns over there. America sends guns and supplies to other countries. yet "america" is trying to disarm it's own people. Kind of disgusting really.

The Hitler argument won't likely work. People dismiss it as a it will never happen again and a it will never happen here kind of thing.

It's probably more effective to frame the debate in terms of something that the other person can relate to. (automobiles or alcohol)

Maybe something like...

Rifles are used to kill less than 350 people a year. Vehicle accidents kill around 35,000 a year. Studies show that if the vehicle is traveling 30mph or less, the likelihood of a fatality is significantly reduced. It's philosophically dishonest to demand that we try to save 350 or less lives by banning certain guns but have zero interest in banning cars that can travel faster than 30mph when that could save up to 100 times as many lives as ban on assault rifles.

Assault rifles are targeted as being magically more dangerous than other guns because they have certain features... But no one gives second thought to buying a car with a radio in it. Most cars have standard a number of convenience/comfort features which serve as common distractions for drivers.

I don't know... Good luck to the OP anyways. Highly emotional people are usually difficult to defuse with logic.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    Some good suggestions above ; but at some point you have to ask yourself do you really want to be friends with someone who supports the usurpation of our rights.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The anti-gun position springs from ignorance and emotion.The emotion provides the ignorance with a willful element that's almost impossible to overcome.

You can try to find out if the person just has a strong negative feeling towards guns, or if he is just honestly ignorant about the facts.

If the negative feeling is there, there's almost no hope that you'll change his mind.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should compare the gun "stats" to Alcohol. At least guns serve a purpose. Alcohol serves no real benefit to society at all. And More people die from it than firearms. And least guns can be used for defense, putting food on the table, etc.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Ask him why he's a racist who hates women, and why he's intent on continuing this war against women and minorities.

Point out that most victims of crime are minorities and women. Denying them the right to defend themselves clearly reveals his racist, misogynist views and that he needs to cease immediately because you're not comfortable around an ignorant woman hating racist.

If he objects, point out that he also hates children too because just recently, even children have used firearms to defend themselves, including an "assault" rifle.

Kendra St. Clair: Oklahoma Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary - ABC News

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots, critically wounds armed intruder

Kid Shoots Burglar with Dad's AR-15 | Military.com

If he still doesn't get it, tell him that racist, misogynist, children haters like him make you sick to even look at them. Then order him out of your house and slam the door.

Problem solved.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    Ask him why he's a racist who hates women, and why he's intent on continuing this war against women and minorities.

Point out that most victims of crime are minorities and women. Denying them the right to defend themselves clearly reveals his racist, misogynist views and that he needs to cease immediately because you're not comfortable around an ignorant woman hating racist.

If he objects, point out that he also hates children too because just recently, even children have used firearms to defend themselves, including an "assault" rifle.

Kendra St. Clair: Oklahoma Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary - ABC News

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots, critically wounds armed intruder

Kid Shoots Burglar with Dad's AR-15 | Military.com

If he still doesn't get it, tell him that racist, misogynist, children haters like him make you sick to even look at them. Then order him out of your house and slam the door.

Problem solved.

Excellent advice from Liberty! I think we have gotten ourselves in this position by always going on the defense; why should we have to justify our God given rights? I think the Left needs to make a case as to why we should surrender our rights.
    Yes, like everyone it made me sick when I heard about sandy hook...
    But should three hundred millions Americans be stripped of their rights because of the actions of some nut job???
    How many kids kill themselves or hurt others because of something said or posted online? Should we ban facebook and twitter to save the kids?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Good points and I've been there with this among others:
    Death by "Gun Control"

I left him with "I cannot hope to change your emotions, but I would like for you to join me at my house for a gun safety overview and possibly some range time. This will help you better unstand my position." He responded that my "lack of emotion over those kids in CT is disturbing".

This is a tough one... thanks again all.

From what you've described, it sounds like he feels morally superior. If that's the case you'll never get him to condescend to even look at, much less shoot a firearm.

But I wouldn't let him get away with assuming the moral ground is his. I'd let him know that I AM VERY UPSET and emotional over those kids in CT. But I will not support any laws that won't prevent another shooting nor lessen its outcome, just to appease emotions.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Just tell them if they believe so strongly in their anti-gun position, that they should force their way into your house in the middle of the night sometime and take them from you.

Top Bottom