• How would you like to see a gunshow vendor pricing items

• Total voters

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    If the price is what I think is fair. I'll buy. If its too high I'll tend to low ball and walk away. I'm not fond of haggling and rarely do it more than once. If I make an offer I don't raise it.

On cars its another story. I figure out what I'm willing to pay for what I want go look when I find what I want that is my top dollar. I'm always more interested in a fair price vs. the absolute cheapest. Likability of the seller and their service can add to the value of what I'm willing to pay.

mgross28

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Richmond
    I say start with your lowest price from the get go! Tell them when they start to haggle that
    this is my lowest price and good luck finding it cheaper. Most already have done their homework and know the prices or they know what they can spend before they get to the gun show.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I would walk on if you were up 10% and marked that we should ask for 10% off. I would take that as a sign that you still had room left beyond 10%. IF you post that your prices are the lowest allowed, then those who come to haggle will find that out. On the otherhand, many shoppers still look at NEW stuff as a price, not a negotiation. Used equipment is open to deals, but I as a consumer would see your pricing as your pricing, and move on if the price was too high.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think you would do best by continuing to build your reputation as a dealer with great service and pricing, rather than bumping up pricing to give the few that always want to negotiate some room to haggle.

It is so easy to research pricing these days, that most people that are well versed in something will know what a good/competitive price on something is.

I'm not interested in haggling down to what the price should normally be on a new item that I can easily order on the internet.

I want a reputable dealer who will stand behind his product, and gives good pricing without making me work for it.

I'd also think that you would get more referrals that way as well.

When someone tells me to go see a particular dealer because they have great pricing and service, I'm more likely to go there than if someone says, "Hey go see this dealer and give him the secret handshake and he'll do you right, but all the other people who walk in off the street are going to get gouged."

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If I think something is priced fairly I usually just pay the asking price. If the price seems inflated or high I ask for a deal. I am more inclined to buy something from you if I feel like you are giving me a deal.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    but if you checked your i phone and could not find it cheaper would you still consider the listed price a starting point for negotiations?

I might ask is there any room in your price and then be happy to buy it if you said no.

If I have seen it elsewhere for cheaper, I give opportunity to the guy in front of me to beat the cheaper price, even if its only by a buck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't want to negotiate 10% on a lower value item. A car with a $30,000 sticker; I will gladly haggle for 10% because that saves me $3000.

To haggle a $150 item for 10% nets me a savings of $15. Put your "show" price on the sticker and we won't waste each others time. I will either buy it and you and I can close our transaction expeditiously or I will leave it lay and neither of us have much time invested.

That being said, at the Lafayette Gun Show, I told a guy that was selling AR lowers for $120 that I wanted to pay no more than a $100. He just shrugged. I bought one yesterday from Bradis for...$99.95.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Another possible marketing point would be to include the tax. I hate having to calculate the sales tax and compare that to an online price where they dont collect it. I know you are always good on price but having that included would save time. I always ask for out the door pricing so I know exactly how much I will be spending. So I can work that into the budget of the show.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    As an informed consumer I would rather just see your minimum price. I should already know what I can buy one for elsewhere if im in the market for what your selling. If I like your price on a new product i'll happily pay it without neogations.

I most always haggle used firearm prices. Have you been to the 1500 lately? Some dealers have gone off the deep end and are asking new gun prices for used.

harmonyaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    pricing

I would have to go with the lowest price and let that be that. I don't mind haggling sometimes when I think there is room but I would really rather save my time and get the item right away when I see a great deal. :ar15:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I would say the one thing that irritates me the most at gun shows is when guns and other items do not have a price on them. Unless I really like something, I usually just keep walking and won't even bother asking for a price.

Top Bottom